The Income Tax Department has made a few changes to the design of PAN cards. They also have decided to add some extra features to make the cards more secure and user-friendly. These new PAN cards have been made available to the users since 7 July 2018. However, the PAN cards issued before the above-mentioned date will remain valid. If you are interested in getting the new PAN card, you have to submit an online application for reprinting the card. Find out more about the updates made to the PAN card.
New Additions to Pan Card
The two new additions that have been made to the PAN cards by the Income Tax Department are:
1. Enhanced QR Code: The enhanced QR code present in the PAN card contains the signature and photograph of the cardholder. The code will also display other additional details like the cardholder’s date of birth and father/mother’s name. All these details are encoded in the QR code and are digitally signed. You will be able to read the QR code through a specific mobile application called Enhance QR Code Reader. The Income Tax Department recommends scanning the QR code with an auto-focus camera that has a resolution of 12-megapixels or more.
2. PAN Card Detail Position: There are few changes made to the positions of details in the new design of the PAN card. The changes made in the new PAN are:
- Photo of the cardholder is moved to the top-left side below the words “Income Tax Department”.
- PAN number is placed on the top center and just below the national emblem.
- The cardholder’s name and father’s name are placed below the newly positioned photograph.
- The cardholder’s date of birth is positioned at the bottom left of the card.
- QR code has replaced the hologram in the card and has been placed below the words “Govt. of India”.
- The hologram is placed at the rear end of the card.
- The signature is moved to the lower center of the PAN card.
List Of Pan Card Office in India 2021
Components of the new e-PAN
The Income Tax Department has also introduced e-PAN which is a digitally signed PAN card. It is issued in an electronic format and is signed with the help of Aadhar e-KYC. Below are the details that one will find in the new e-PAN:
- Cardholder’s details: Details like cardholder’s name, gender, date of birth, and father’s name are present in the e-PAN.
- Communication Address: Cardholder’s communication address is mentioned in e-PAN. This is essential for the delivery of physical copies of PAN cards.
- Photograph: The photograph of the cardholder will be present in the e-PAN. This photograph is fetched automatically from the database of Aadhar.
- Acknowledgement number: e-PAN contains a 15-digit acknowledgement number along with a barcode. These details are useful in tracking the status of your PAN card application.
- Digital signature: Every e-PAN carries the digital signature of the cardholder
How to Validate Digital Signature in the new e-PAN
Applicants will receive a PDF file of their e-PAN on their registered email ID which they have to sign digitally. Follow the below mentioned steps to digitally sign your e-PAN:
Step 1: Use PDF Converter Professional to open the PDF file.
Step 2: On the “Digital Signature” field, do a left-click.
Step 3: Click the option “Verify Signature.”
Step 4: Click on the button “Properties”
Step 5: Then click the option “Verify Identity”
Step 6: Next, add the option “Contact information for certificate owner.”
Step 7: Click on the option “Add to list.”
Step 8: Now, click on the “Close” option.
Step 9: Click the option “Verify signature”
Step 10: Validity status of your signature will be reflected as “Signature is valid.”
Step 11: Click the “Close” button.
Step 12: Your digital signature will appear as “Signature valid” with a green check mark.
Link PAN Card to Bank Accounts Online
Digilocker App and PAN Card
In addition to making the above-mentioned changes, the Income Tax Department has allowed the Digilocker app to issue PAN cards to the users. The card issued from the Digilocker app contains details like PAN number, cardholder’s name, gender and date of birth. The card also has the Enhanced QR Code that will allow users to verify the details of their PAN card. PAN cards issued through the app also contain a “Digilocker Verified” logo.
You can follow the steps given below to get your PAN card issued from the Digilocker app:
Step 1: Open the Digilocker app and log in to your account
Step 2: Click on the section of the Income Tax Department’s PAN verification record.
Step 3: Enter your name as per the PAN card along with your PAN number.
Step 4: Click on “Get Document” after providing your consent.
Step 5: The PAN card will automatically be downloaded to your account.