Known as the ‘heaven on earth’, Jammu and Kashmir is a state known for its saffron production, weavers, and the tourist spots. The usage of two-wheelers is much lesser as compared to the other parts of the country, and may be that is why the pollution level is lesser than other states. Nevertheless, if you wish to drive or purchase a new two-wheeler or any other motor vehicle in this state, here is all you need to know.
Like other states, any vehicle to be driven in J&K state, has to be registered under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The vehicle has to be registered within 15 days of purchase of the vehicle and you should have a valid bike insurance policy to apply for the registration for the vehicle.
Documents required for vehicle registration process:
Submit the following documents at the zonal transport department, with applicable fees. The documents have to be attested by any notary public or gazetted officer:
- Form 20 duly filled and signed by the applicant
- Form 21 - sale certificate issued by the vehicle dealer
- Form 22 - road worthiness certificate
- Copy of motor insurance policy
- Attested address proof (2 copies)
- Form 34 duly signed by the applicant and financier if the vehicle was purchased on loan.
- Proof for date of birth
- Road tax payment acknowledgement
- Chassis print
- Registration fee
- Self-attested passport size photography
- PAN Card or Form 60 & 61 as applicable (2 copies)
Documents required to renew RC:
- Form 25
- Form 20
- Registration certificate (RC)
- Vehicle fitness certificate by the dealer
- Road tax paid receipts and dues payments, if any
- Chassis print
- Motor insurance certificate
- PUC (attested)
- Passport size photographs (attested)
- Applicable fee
- PAN card or Form 60(as applicable)
List of documents needed to issue Duplicate RC:
- Form 26
- LLD form
- Valid motor insurance policy
- Original DDR (Daily Dairy Report is filed by the police for non-cognisable offence)
- Attested PUC certificate
- Chassis print
- Proof of address
- Attested passport size photographs
- RC report if it is an old registration certificate
List of documents that you can submit for residential address proof:
- Voter ID
- LIC Insurance premium payment acknowledgment
- If an individual is a state or central government employee, he/she can provide the I-card issued by the employer.
- If the applicant has none of the above, then a copy of r-card with affidavit can be submitted.
- For a corporate employee, the latest ITR (Income Tax Return) or recent sales tax RC along with affidavit will be valid.
If you want to transfer the ownership of the vehicle or for transfer in case of death of the vehicle owner, you can visit the headquarters of Jammu and Kashmir Transport Department for more information.
JK RTO Locations and Codes In Jammu and Kashmir
|RTO LOCATIONS||JKRTO CODE||RTO LOCATIONS||JK RTO CODE|
|Srinagar||JK 01||Poonch||JK 12|
|Jammu||JK 02||Pulwama||JK 13|
|Anantnag||JK 03||Udhampur||JK 14|
|Budgam||JK 04||Bandipora||JK 15|
|Baramulla||JK 05||Ganderbal||JK 16|
|Doda||JK 06||Kishtwar||JK 17|
|Kargil||JK 07||Kulgam||JK 18|
|Kathua||JK 08||Ramban||JK 19|
|Kupwara||JK 09||Reasi||JK 20|
|Leh||JK 10||Samba||JK 21|
|Rajouri||JK 11||Shopian||JK 22|