How To Transfer Two Wheeler Registration Number from One State to Another State

Most people in India are not aware of the formal procedure to transfer their vehicles from one state to another. Inter-state vehicle transfer requires a vehicle owner to go through a certain procedure and complete the necessary documentation process. The basic process involves getting a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the RTO where the vehicle is originally registered and register the vehicle again in the state you are supposed to move in. The NOC has a specific expiry date before which the vehicle must be re-registered with the new RTO. The validity of the NOC can however be extended if you fail to do so.

For instance, if you wish to transfer your vehicle registration from Chandigarh to Mumbai, you would need to first receive an NOC from the RTO in Chandigarh, get your vehicle physically shifted to Mumbai and then apply for re-registration of the vehicle in Mumbai.

However, there are several aspects of the process that you must know about. Firstly, the on-road taxes and the registration charges vary from state to state. This would either require you to pay in excess to the taxes you have already paid in the previous RTO or avail a refund if the taxes are lower in the new state. Following are some of the important aspects of inter-state vehicle transfer:

For Vehicles Purchased On Loan

If you have purchased your two-wheeler through a bank loan, you would need to obtain an NOC from the bank or the financing agency. You will need to submit the necessary documents such as the letter of job transfer/ appointment letter, address proof, and other documents prescribed by the bank. The bank will process your application and provide you an NOC in a specific time-frame.

Below explained is the step-by-step procedure for transferring a two-wheeler from one state to another.

Step 1: Get the No Objection Certificate From The RTO Where Vehicle Is Originally Registered

Going by the previous example, if you wish to transfer your vehicle from Chandigarh to Mumbai, the first step would be to submit an application to the RTO in Chandigarh along with duly filled up Form 27 and Form 28. If you have purchased your vehicle on EMI, you will also need to submit the photocopy of the NOC from the bank and other vehicle documents mentioned below:

  • Vehicle insurance policy
  • Emission test/ Pollution Under Control Certificate
  • Registration Certificate
  • Chassis imprint of the vehicle
  • 4 photocopies of Form 28
  • Application requesting the NOC

Additionally, you may obtain the NOCs from the police department and traffic police in the city where your vehicle is registered. This would speed up the process of vehicle re-registration.

Step 2: Get Your Two-Wheeler Transported To The New City

After you obtain the required NOCs, you can transport your bike via a train or a carrier. You can also self-drive your car to the city you are moving in if that is feasible.

Step 3: Re-Register Your Two-Wheeler In The New Location

Once you are done transporting the vehicle, you may apply for the re-registration of the vehicle in the local RTO. For instance, if you have moved from Chandigarh to Mumbai, you will need to submit the re-registration application to the RTO office in Mumbai along with the following documents:

  • Duly filled up Form 29 and Form 30
  • Existing Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle
  • Copy of the insurance policy document of the vehicle
  • Copy of the NOC received from the old RTO
  • Emission Test Certificate/ Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC)
  • Chassis Imprint of the vehicle.
  • residential proof and id proof of the applicant

The re-registration of the vehicle will involve certain charges. Where Octroi will be calculated based on the current value of your two-wheeler after deducting depreciation. After submission of all the necessary documents, you will receive a new registration number for your two-wheeler within a few weeks.

You may like to read:

Is Vehicle Re-Registration Needed If You Move Your Two-Wheeler To A New State Temporarily

If you are moving your vehicle to a new state temporarily, you are not required to register your vehicle for that period. You can easily ride in any other state for up to 1 year without any hassles.

Refund Of Road Tax

You may apply for road tax refunds just as you can apply for income tax returns. For example, if you move from Mumbai to Chandigarh, you can apply for tax refunds as the taxes paid by you in Mumbai would be higher than the taxes in Chandigarh. Below are the documents required to do the same:

  • Application for refund of road tax
  • Duly filled Form No.16 (self-attested)
  • RC copy along with new registration number
  • The copy of RC with previous registration number
  • Insurance policy document with the new vehicle registration number
  • Proof of address and photo ID

Once you submit the above-mentioned documents to the RTO office in the city where you moved in, they will verify your details with the RTO where the vehicle was previously registered. After successful verification, they will process your application. The whole refund process may take up to 6 months.

NOC Cancellation In Case It Is Not Utilised

In case you have received the NOC from the RTO but changed your plan to move to the new location, you would be required to cancel the NOC. This would need you to get a Non Utilisation Certificate (NUC) from the RTO to which the NOC was issued. The NUC confirms that the NOC remained unutilised. Once you obtain the NUC, you can get an affidavit stating the reason for NOC cancellation. However, the process of NOC cancellation may vary from state to state.


The transfer of a two-wheeler from one place to another and its registration can get really tricky if one is not aware of the right process to do the same. Many people approach brokers and agents to help them with the whole process. This takes up significant cost. However, the entire transfer process consumes a few weeks and one may require to get clearances from several different departments. You can surely take help of the agents if you cannot devote the needed time to the process.

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.