Aadhaar card has now become a necessary document for both identity and address verification. Proving equal to the task, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) provides Aadhaar services that are not limited to issuing the Aadhaar number to Indian residents.
UIDAI provides various offline and online services to offer Aadhaar applicants and cardholders speedy redressal of their queries and problems.
Primary Objective of Issuing Aadhaar Number
The UIDAI issues the Aadhaar number to residents to enable portability of identification on a unified platform. Through the Aadhaar platform, residents can promptly authenticate identity verification.
Besides, this electronic verification process is not only cost-effective but it is also more secure and systematic.
Types of Aadhaar Card Services Available
The Aadhaar-issuing body, UIDAI has a dedicated database where cardholders can avail all types of Aadhaar-related services. Aadhaar applicants can visit the website to locate enrolment centres, check their application status, and download e-Aadhaar card.
Details of the additional services provided by UIDAI are given below.
Verifying Aadhaar Number –
The 12-digit Unique Identification Number (UID/Aadhaar number) is issued by UIDAI. The Aadhaar number verification service allows cardholders to check the validity of their UID number. Aadhaar cardholders can verify their UID by following the steps given below.
Step 1 – Visit the official website of UIDAI’.
Step 2 – Go to the ‘My Aadhaar’ section and click on ‘Verify an Aadhaar Number’. The option can be found under ‘Aadhaar Services’.
Step 3 – A new page will open. Enter the 12-digit UID number in the box provided.
Step 4 – Enter the security code.
Step 5 – If the Aadhaar number is not entered correctly, click on the ‘Reset’ button at the top right-hand corner of the page. If not, click on the ‘Verify’ button.
Step 6 – Cardholders will be able to know if the Aadhaar number is active or not. The page will also provide information about the cardholder’s age band, gender, registered mobile number and the state where the Aadhaar card was issued.
Verifying Email/Mobile Number –
This Aadhaar card service allows cardholders to verify their email address and mobile phone number declared at the time of enrolment. To verify the mobile number and email provided at the time of Aadhaar enrolment, individuals have to visit the official UIDAI page and follow these steps:
- On the UIDAI website, go to the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab.
- Select the ‘Verify Email/Mobile Number’ option. The option can be found under the ‘Aadhaar Services’ tab.
- Enter Aadhaar UID number.
- Enter the registered email address.
- Enter the phone number registered with Aadhaar. Cardholders can verify either the email or phone number, or they can verify both.
- Enter the security number provided in the box.
- Click on the ‘Get OTP’ button.
Locking/Unlocking Biometrics –
Aadhaar number holders can lock their biometrics through this service. Once locked, no one will be able to use the UID for authentication. This will keep the data safe from any kind of misuse.
Besides locking it, cardholders can temporarily unlock their biometric through this Aadhaar service.
- Visit the official website of UIDAI. .
- Click on ‘My Aadhaar’.
- Select ‘Lock/Unlock Biometrics’. The option can be found under the ‘Aadhaar Services’ menu
- Next, agree to the terms and conditions and click on ‘Lock/Unlock Biometrics’.
- Next, enter the Aadhaar number.
- Enter the security code mentioned.
- Click ‘Send OTP’.
- An OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered with Aadhaar.
- Enter the OTP sent, in space provided.
- Select ‘Check Aadhaar & Bank Account Linking Status’.
- Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- Enter security code.
- Enter the OTP sent to the registered mobile number.
- Once the OTP is authenticated, UIDAI will fetch details about the status from National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) portal.
- Enter UID or Aadhaar number.
- Enter security code.
- Click ‘Generate OTP’.
The Aadhaar card services available at the UIDAI website can be accessed from anywhere in India. The Government of India and UIDAI has provided this self-service portal so that residents can avail the Aadhaar card services at his/her own time and convenience.