The Aadhar card has established itself as one of the main documents for proving one’s identity. However, ensuring that your Aadhar information is safe is crucial. When obtaining an Aadhar card, individuals must provide their retinal and fingerprint scan data to the government. This biometric data can be utilised for verification when availing other services. For instance, if you furnish your Aadhar as an ID proof for availing a sim card, the telecom company can access your data by using your fingerprint as doing so authenticates the ID quickly and speeds up KYC verification.
Individuals can avoid their Aadhar card being mishandled by simply locking their biometric data that is stored on the UIDAI servers. The data can be unlocked whenever required and used for verification before you lock it again. Following is a simple guide to locking or unlocking your biometric data online:
- Visit the UIDAI website.
- Enter the 12-digit Aadhar number that appears on your card.
- Enter the security code which pops up on the image under the Aadhar number.
- Generate a One Time Password.
- The OTP will be sent through an SMS to the registered mobile phone number, and the OTP must be entered on the same page.
- Verify the OTP.
- Click on ‘Enable Biometric Locking’.
- Click on ‘Enable’ once you have checked Enable Biometric Locking.
- In case you wish to disable the lock, just uncheck Enable Biometric Locking after which you can click ‘Disable’.
- Your Aadhar UIDAI biometric information will then be locked or unlocked based on what you have checked.
Once your biometric data has been locked, you can authenticate Aadhar based requests or transactions for information only through the One Time Password sent to the registered mobile number, bit with an iris or thumb scan. Please note that you can only lock or unlock your Aadhar information online only.
Aadhar Card Linking with