India is moving towards digitisation and a number of measures are being put into place to ensure this. In addition to going digital, there are numerous processes being put into effect to ensure that all citizens’ information is compiled under a single central database. The step being taken in this direction is the introduction of the Aadhar number/card. e-Aadhar number is a 12 digit alphanumeric identity provided by the Unique Identification Authority of India, which is a government agency, to all Indian citizens. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) functions under the Planning Commission of India.
Through this process, the biometric and demographic data of individuals is collected and stored in a centralised database.
What is e-Aadhaar Card Status?
E-Aadhaar is an electronic version of Aadhar card can be downloaded online on submitting individual’s Aadhar or the enrolment ID. This version is as valid as the original card. At the official website of UIDAI, one can check the Aadhaar card status, download e-Aadhar card, verify Aadhar linking and so on.
Information Available On e-Aadhar
An e-Aadhar card of individuals, like its physical copy, contains their biometric and demographic information. Individuals can visit the UIDAI link to see thee-Aadhar information such as -
- Aadhar number
- Photograph of the cardholder
- Name of the cardholder
- Date of birth of the cardholder
- Address of the cardholder
- Sex of the cardholder
- Biometric details such as fingerprint of the individual
How to Check e-Aadhaar Status?
When an individual has completed the Aadhaar enrolment process, he/she can visit the official link of UIDAI to check the status of his/her card and download the e-Aadhar. Given below are the steps to check the status of Aadhaar card.
- Go to UIDAI website
- On the home page, select ‘Check Aadhaar Status’
- Enter the 14 digit EID number and 14 digit time stamp (mention as dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss) as given on the enrolment slip.
- Enter the security Captcha code.
- Click on the ‘Check Status’ button.
Applicants can see the status of their card by following these simple steps. They can also download the e-Aadhaar if they want after checking the status.
How to Download e-Aadhar from the e-Aadhar link?
Given below are the steps that individuals will have to follow, in order to download e-Aadhar card -
- Individuals must first note down the enrollment number, time and date provided in their acknowledgment slip that would have been given during the time of their Aadhar application.
- They will have to then visit the UIDAI website and enter all required details.
- They will then have to click on the option titled, ‘Get One Time Password’
- They will then receive a one time password or OTP which will have to be entered into the given field.
- Applicants will have to then enter the first four letters of their name in Capitals combined with their birth year (YYYY format) as the password in order to open the e-Aadhar pdf file.
Benefits Of e-Aadhar Card
- E Aadhar card is an electronic card and is available online, hence can be accessed at all times, and individuals need not have to worry about losing their card as it is virtual and cannot be misplaced.
- E Aadhar card is a universal identity card can be procured by all Indian citizens. This card acts as a proof of identity as well as address, unlike most other documents.
- The Government of India has provided a number of subsidies such as LPG subsidy, and so on to all Individuals. However, in order to avail these subsidies, applicants must provide their Aadhar card.
- Availing other documents such as a Passport can be done easily if individuals have their Aadhar card with them.
- Individuals can also open bank accounts by using their Aadhar card.
- An e-Aadhar card is a valid proof of address and identity as mentioned by the Unique Identification Authority of India since this document has been digitally certified. Additionally, all data that has been printed in a physical copy of the Aadhar card is the same as the information provided in e-Aadhar card.
- A ‘Resident Portal’ has also been launched to allow individuals to download their e-Aadhar card. Common Service Centres in Indian States can allow individuals to download their e-Aadhar card.
Read also: Benefits of Aadhaar Card
FAQs of e-Aadhar
What is an e-Aadhaar card number?
An Aadhaar number basically refers to the 12-digit figure that is printed on the card issued to Indian residents by the Unique Identification Authority of India post an exhaustive verification process. In order to apply for the Aadhaar card, residents have to submit demographic details such as name, gender, age, date of birth, and residential address. Apart from this, biometric information including fingerprints, iris scan and facial photographs are taken.
The Aadhaar number is a one of a kind unique number that is likely to prevent identity duplication and can serve as a digital identity proof. This Aadhaar number can be used to encourage more transparency in government-based welfare schemes and avoid misuse of government subsidies through identity duplication.
The Aadhaar number is a proof of ‘Financial Address’ and through this unique numeric value, various services can be assessed.
How many numbers are there in an e-Aadhar card?
An e-Aadhar card has 12 digits on it and these numbers are used as a representation of the identity of the person holding the card. It is a random number that is generated after the government verifies an Indian resident’s biometric and demographic information.
How to check e-Aadhar status card?
Since e-Aadhar is the digital form of physical Aadhaar card, UIDAI makes it available for download as soon as the applicant’s verification of data is complete and the Unique Identity number (UID) is generated. An individual can visit the UIDAI website and check his/her Aadhaar card status and also download the e-Aadhaar card
Validity of a Downloaded Aadhar Card as Proof of Identity
The downloaded copy of the Aadhaar is a valid document and will be accepted as a legal document. The Aadhaar card that is downloaded from the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) website is equivalent to the original Aadhaar card. The card can be downloaded without any charges from the UIDAI website.
Will downloaded Aadhar be accepted?
- The downloaded copy of the Aadhaar card also referred to as e-Aadhaar, is a valid document. It will be legally accepted as an identity proof under the Aadhaar Act
- The downloaded Aadhaar is also considered as a secure electronic document and will be considered as on par with the printed version of the Aadhaar letter
- This downloaded Aadhaar is a digitally signed document as per provisions of the IT Act, 2000
- The downloaded documents contains all details such as date of birth, photo, gender, address, name, etc.
- Even a paper Aadhaar card will be accepted and the concept of a smart Aadhaar card does not exist
- If a person loses his or her Aadhaar card, the same can be downloaded from the UIDAI portal without any hassle.
- A colour or black and white print out is still considered valid
- The Indian Railways will accept thee-Aadhaar as a valid identity proof
- According to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), e-Aadhaar will be accepted as a valid document by all bank