India is moving towards digitisation and a number of measures are being put into place to ensure this. In addition to going digital, there are numerous processes being put into effect to ensure that all citizens’ information is compiled under a single central database. The step being taken in this direction is the introduction of the Aadhar number. e-Aadhar number is a 12 digit alphanumeric identity provided by the Unique Identification Authority of India, to all Indian citizens.
Through this process, the biometric and demographic data of individuals is collected and stored in a centralised database.
What is e-Aadhaar Card Status?
E-Aadhaar is an electronic version of Aadhar card can be downloaded online on submitting individual’s Aadhar or the enrolment ID. This version is as valid as the physical card. At the official website of UIDAI, one can check the Aadhaar card status, download e-Aadhar card.
Information Available On e-Aadhar
An e-Aadhar card of individuals, like its physical copy, contains their personal information. Individuals can visit the UIDAI website to see their Aadhar information such as -
- Aadhar number
- Date of birth
How to Download e-Aadhar from the e-Aadhar link?
Given below are the steps that individuals will have to follow, in order to download e-Aadhar card -
- People who already have an Aadhaar card can enter their 12-digit Aadhaar number. Individuals who have not received their Aadhaar number yet must first note down the enrollment number, time and date provided in their acknowledgment slip that would have been given during the time of their Aadhar application.
- They will have to then visit the UIDAI website and enter all required details.
- They will then have to click on the option titled, ‘Get One Time Password’(OTP)
- They will then receive a one time password or OTP which will have to be entered into the given field.
- Applicants will have to then enter the first four letters of their name in Capitals combined with their birth year (YYYY format) as the password in order to open the e-Aadhar PDF file.
Benefits Of e-Aadhar Card
- E Aadhar card is an electronic card and is available online, hence can be accessed at all times, and individuals need not have to worry about losing their card as it is virtual and cannot be misplaced.
- E Aadhar card is a universal identity card can be procured by all residents of India. This card acts as a proof of identity as well as address, unlike most other documents.
- The Government of India has provided a number of subsidies such as LPG subsidy, and so on to all Individuals. However, in order to avail these subsidies, applicants must provide their Aadhar card.
- Individuals can also open bank accounts by using their Aadhar card.
- An e-Aadhar card is a valid proof of address and identity as mentioned by the Unique Identification Authority of India since this document has been digitally certified. Additionally, all data that has been printed in a physical copy of the Aadhar card is also available on e-Aadhar card.
FAQs of e-Aadhar
What is an e-Aadhaar card number?
An Aadhaar number basically refers to the 12-digit figure that is printed on the card issued to Indian residents by the Unique Identification Authority of India through a verification process. In order to apply for the Aadhaar card, residents have to submit demographic details such as name, gender, age, date of birth, and residential address. Apart from this, biometric information including fingerprints, iris scan and facial photographs are taken.
The Aadhaar number is a unique number that is likely to prevent identity duplication and can serve as a digital identity proof. This Aadhaar number can be used to encourage more transparency in government-based welfare schemes and avoid misuse of government subsidies through identity duplication.
How many numbers are there in an e-Aadhar card?
An e-Aadhar card has 12 digits on it and these numbers are used as a representation of the identity of the person holding the card. It is a number that is generated after the government verifies an Indian resident’s biometric and demographic information.
How to check e-Aadhar status card?
Since e-Aadhar is the digital form of physical Aadhaar card, UIDAI makes it available for download as soon as the applicant’s verification of data is complete and the Unique Identity number (UID) is generated. An individual can visit the UIDAI website and check his/her Aadhaar card status and also download the e-Aadhaar card