Linking Aadhaar Number to your bank account is no longer mandatory. You can still do the Aadhaar account linking if you wish to. There are 4 ways to link your State Bank of India (SBI) account with your Aadhaar Card:
Let us look at each mode in detail and see how Aadhaar seeding with SBI accounts works.
Online SBI Account-Aadhaar Linking Process Through SBI Internet Banking Portal
You can use this process only if you are already registered to use SBI netbanking. If you haven’t received your login details yet, check with the bank. New registration for SBI netbanking use can be done here: https://retail.onlinesbi.com/retail/userdrivenregdetailswin.html.
To link your SBI account with Aadhaar Card through SBI online banking, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Go to onlinesbi.com.
- Step 2: Log in to the Personal Banking section.
- Step 3: Go to ‘My Accounts’ on the left side of the page.
- Step 4: Navigate to ‘Link Your Aadhaar Number’.
- Step 5: Select the SBI account number that you want to link with Aadhaar.
- Step 6: Enter your Aadhaar Number and submit the request.
- Step 7: Your account-linked mobile number’s last two digits will be displayed.
- Though the mobile number cannot be edited, you will know what number is registered with the SBI account. This is the number on which you will receive updates related to bank account and Aadhaar linking.
How to Link Aadhaar with Account Using SBI Mobile App
SBI’s mobile app, which was earlier known as SBI Anywhere, is now called YONO SBI or YONO LITE SBI. If you have downloaded and are using the app, then you can link your Aadhaar number to your account conveniently from your mobile phone. Here’s the process to do it:
- Step 1: Log in to the app using your PIN.
- Step 2: Click on the Menu tab (3 lines on the top left corner) and select ‘Service Requests’.
- Step 3: Go to ‘Settings’ and then to ‘Manage Profile’ under ‘Personalisation’.
- Step 4: Enter the Aadhaar number and complete the confirmation. You will receive updates via SMS.
How to Link Aadhaar with Bank Account at an SBI ATM
If you don’t have access to the internet or a smartphone, you can still add your Aadhaar number to account using the nearest SBI ATM. Follow the process detailed below:
- Step 1: Go to an SBI ATM.
- Step 2: Insert the SBI debit card linked to the account that you want to add Aadhaar number to.
- Step 3: Enter the PIN.
- Step 4: From the menu, select ‘Service – Registrations’.
- Step 5: Select ‘Aadhaar Registration’ in the next screen.
- Step 6: Pick the account type (Current/Checking or Savings).
- Step 7: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number. You will have to enter it twice for confirmation.
- Step 8: An SMS will be sent to you with confirmation. Future status updates will also be sent to you via SMS to the mobile number registered with the SBI account.
Process to Link Aadhaar with SBI Account Offline at a Bank Branch
If you want to perform Aadhaar-account linking at an SBI branch office instead of online or through ATM, then that is also possible. Here’s what you have to do:
- Step 1: Go to the closest SBI branch. Make sure you have your Aadhaar Letter/Aadhaar Card, a copy of the same, and/or e-Aadhaar.
- Step 2: Talk to a bank official and get the Letter of Request or Aadhaar seeding form.
- Step 3: Fill the form and submit it at the bank along with a photocopy of the Aadhaar Letter/e-Aadhaar.
- Step 4: You will get an SMS with confirmation. Status updates on Aadhaar-account linking will also be sent to you via SMS.
Steps to Link Aadhaar to SBI Account by Visiting SBI websites
You can also link Aadhaar number with the bank account through SBI’s websites. However, this process may not work now, as Aadhaar seeding is no longer mandatory.
- Step 1: Visit sbi.co.in or bank.sbi
- Step 2: Select ‘Aadhaar linking for all SBI customers’ under the ‘Announcements’ section.
- Step 3: Provide the SBI account number and the captcha code.
- Step 4: Next, provide the One Time Password sent on the registered mobile number.
- Step 5: Navigate the screens to get the 12-digit number linked.
- Step 6: The status of the linking is sent on the registered mobile number.
An August 2017 NDTV article also talks about linking Aadhaar and SBI account through SMS, by sending a message to 567676 in the format UID