Aadhaar card is essential to avail benefits from government run social schemes. The government has initiated linking of Aadhaar card to many utility services such as banking, Provident Fund, Insurance and mobile services. Aadhar—a 12-digit unique identity number assigned by UIDAI—should be linked to bank accounts to avail benefits offered by various services and schemes.
Aadhaar number must be linked with bank account
The government has instructed the banking organizations to send notification to consumers, asking them to link Aadhaar with their Bank accounts. Since the last date has not been set yet, customers can link their Aadhaar with bank account convenience. However, the sooner one links his/her bank account to Aadhar is better as it will conveniently reduce the hassle once the deadline is set.
The Government of India has initiated the Aadhaar linking drive to prevent money laundering, unfair distribution of public resources and benefits, and also offer the residents of India numerous amenities and assistance.
Methods to Link Aadhaar to Bank Account
The linking process is extremely easy and can be accomplished in few simple steps. The steps are almost same for all the banks. Broadly, there are two ways to link an Aadhaar number with bank account. Offline method can be completed by filling Aadhaar application form and physically submitting it to the bank. The most efficient method is, of course, online linking, which can be accomplished by filling the Aadhaar details using net banking facility.
8 Steps to Link Bank Account with Aadhaar through Branch Channel
The users who don’t have net banking facility can complete the linking process by visiting their bank's website. Below mentioned are the steps that will help customers to accomplish the linking process.
Step 1: Download the Form No 1 and take printout.
Step 2: Fill in the all the details like name of the bank and name of the branch carefully.
Step 3: Fill the boxes provided against bank account number, name, address, Aadhaar number, gender, and mobile number.
Step 4: Ensure to complete the details like place, date and consumer signature.
Step 5: Attach a photocopy of Aadhar card with the application form.
Step 6: Visit the nearest bank to submit the form. Once the representative at the bank receives the form, he/she will enter the details in the system.
Step 7: He will also confirm whether the applicant will receive seeding confirmation form or the applicant has to submit few more documents.
Step 8: Once everything is ensured, banking official should sign the form.
Note:The applicant should carry his original Aadhaar card to the bank for verification.
Use 9 Easy Steps for Aadhaar Linking through Internet Banking
Linking bank account with Aadhaar using online method is easy. A customer can complete the process sitting at home. Mentioned below are the steps:
- Firstly, a customer should enroll for internet banking services in a bank that offers Aadhaar mapping to its customers.
- Login to the internet banking account by entering username and password.
- When a customer is logged in on the bank’s page, he should look for the link that reads “Aadhaar Card Seeding” or “Update Aadhaar Card details”.
- Click on the link to open the page.
- Enter the necessary information correctly in the respective fields and cross check to avoid providing any wrong information.
- Hit the “Submit” button and the form gets saved in the bank’s database.
- Bank’s officials will verify the information provided.
- After verification, the application will be processed internally. In case, there are mismatch in the information provided, the bank’s officials will send notification.
- The customer will be intimated through mobile or email about his application status.
Follow 6 Steps to Check if the Bank Account is Linked with your Aadhaar Number?
Customers who apply for Aadhaar Card can also verify the status of their application by following few simple steps given below:
Step 1: Visit the UIDAI’s official website uidai.gov.in
Step 2: Under the Aadhaar service category select “Check Aadhaar & Bank Account Linking status”.
Step 3: Enter the 12-digit UAN number and the security code that is displayed beside the given box.
Step 4: After entering the details click on “Send OTP”, and an OTP will be sent to the Aadhaar linked mobile number.
Step 5: Enter the OTP and click on “Login”.
Step 6: Once the verification is complete, the message will read “Congratulations! Your bank Aadhaar mapping is done”. Other details like the linking status, date and bank’s name will be shown.
How to check if Aadhaar is linked to bank account by using SMS services?
Customers can anytime check their Aadhaar status by following below mentioned steps:
- Customers should dial *99*# in their mobile
- Enter the Aadhaar number correctly
- Press 1 in the keypad
- On completing the steps mentioned above, a customer will know the name of the bank to which the Aadhaar card is linked.
3 Benefits of Aadhaar-Bank Linking
Linking Aadhaar with bank accounts benefits individuals as well as government in the following ways:
- Direct Deposit of the various subsidies in the bank account
- To verify whether the scheme is reaching in the right hands
- Government can figure out the individuals who benefit from government schemes.
Why should you link Aadhaar with your bank account before the deadline is announced?
Aadhaar program was started in 2009 with an objective to provide universal identity for every Indian citizen. People who initially enrolled in Aadhaar program faced number of issues in terms of technical snags and incorrect data displayed. However the importance of Aadhaar back then was quite unclear. After sometime, all the issues were resolved and people are now able to get the Aadhaar card with much ease.
Linking Aadhaar number with the bank account is essential. In fact public and private sector banks in India have been constantly sending reminders to their customers through SMS and emails to link their Aadhaar with their bank account. Initially the last date was set on 31 March 2018 after which bank accounts that are not linked to Aadhaar before the deadline would have been ceased from all the operations. However, the date was changed recently for an indefinite period before the authorities announce a new deadline.
Who are eligible to link Aadhaar to bank account?
All the Indian residents who are eligible to apply for Aadhaar should link their Aadhaar number with their bank accounts. However NRIs are not eligible for this and it’s suggested that they disclose their non-residence status to the bank officials with the proof.
One good news is that, not all the bank accounts will become un-operational if they are not linked with the Aadhaar before the deadline. Small bank accounts do not need Aadhaar to be linked.
A small bank account here means:
- The aggregate of all credits in the given financial year does not exceed more than Rs.1 lakh.
- The aggregate of all the withdrawals and transfers that take place in a month does not exceed Rs.10,000.
- The total balance of the account should not be more than Rs.50,000.
Once can open a small account with the banking company by producing a self-attested photograph and affixation of signature or thumbprint.
List of Banks Offering Aadhaar Enabled Services
|Citibank||Allahabad Bank||United Bank of India||Canara Bank|
|Indian Bank||UCO Bank||Vijaya Bank||Andhra Bank|
|Federal Bank||HDFC Bank||Bank of Maharashtra||Punjab National Bank|
|Syndicate Bank||Kotak Mahindra Bank||Punjab National Bank||Oriental Bank of Commerce|
|Bank of India||IDBI Bank||Union Bank of India||Central Bank of India|
|ICICI Bank||Bank of Baroda||Corporation Bank||Dena Bank|
|Axis Bank||IDBI Bank||Indian Overseas Bank||State Bank of India|
Aadhaar Linking With Different Banks
FAQs on Aadhaar - Bank Linking
- Is there a way to check if the bank account is already linked with Aadhaar?
- If a customer holds multiple bank accounts that are linked to Aadhaar card, will UIDAI website display details from each bank?
- Is the last date of linking Aadhaar number and bank account same for the individuals who don’t have an Aadhaar card as of now?
- If a customer has multiple bank accounts, how can he check the Aadhaar and Bank account linking status?
Yes, a customer can anytime check the mapping status of Aadhaar and bank account by contacting the bank, visiting the branch or calling the bank’s toll free number.
No. Only the bank account that is mapped recently will be displayed on the UIDAI website.
Government has extended the last date to 31March 2018 for individuals who are yet to apply for Aadhaar card.
UIDAI shows linking status of only one bank. Therefore, customers should check Aadhaar linking status of multiple banks accounts from individual banks.