As per the Supreme Court ruling, it is not mandatory to link your Aadhaar with your bank account anymore. However, if you want to you can go ahead and link your Aadhaar with your bank account. Do remember that this is not mandatory anymore. Here are the steps you can follow if you choose to link your Aadhaar with your bank account.
Table of Contents
How to Link Bank Account with Aadhaar via Branch
The steps that were previously followed and can still be followed (if you choose to) to link your Aadhaar and your bank account are:
- Visit your bank’s branch.
- Carry your Aadhaar or your e-Aadhaar.
- Fill in a letter of request.
- Submit the form along with a copy of your Aadhaar.
- After the verification process is complete, the branch will link your Aadhaar and your account.
- You will receive an SMS on your registered mobile number with information on the status of your request.
How to Link Aadhaar to Your Bank Account via Internet Banking
If you wish to link your Aadhaar and bank account, you can do so via internet banking as well. Here are the steps:
- Log into your internet banking portal.
- Navigate to the section to link your Aadhaar and bank account.
- Select the account(s) you wish to link, enter your Aadhaar number, and hit ‘Submit’.
- The last two digits of your registered mobile number will be displayed on the screen.
- The status of your request to link your Aadhaar will be sent to you via SMS.
Note: The steps mentioned here and in the last section are those followed by the State Bank of India. Other banks follow similar steps. To know the exact steps, please visit your bank’s website.
Linking Your Bank Account with Aadhaar Through Mobile App
Many banks allow you to link your bank account with your Aadhaar number through their mobile app. Here are the steps that you usually have to follow:
- Download the mobile banking app from Google Play Store or App Store.
- Open the app and enter credentials associated with your account (username and password). If there is any security verification, complete that too.
- Click on “Requests”/”Service” Requests” or any other variation.
- Look for an option that says “Link Aadhaar”/”Update Aadhaar Number” or any other variation.
- Select the account to which you would like to link your Aadhaar.
- Enter your Aadhaar number (you may be asked to re-enter it for confirmation).
- Accept any terms and conditions, if applicable.
- Select “Update”/”Confirm” or any other variation.
Linking Bank Account with Aadhaar at ATM
To link your Aadhaar to your bank account at an ATM, these are generally the steps to follow:
- Visit your bank’s ATM.
- Insert your debit card associated to your bank account and enter the PIN.
- From the options on the screen, choose one that allows you to link your Aadhar.
- Enter your Aadhaar number (you may need to re-enter it for confirmation).
Updating Aadhaar Number Through Phone Banking
If your bank offers Phonebanking, you may be able to link your Aadhaar with your bank through this mode. You will have to call the Phonebanking number, listen to the prompts and select the option that allows you to do the bank account-Aadhaar linking. You will be asked to enter your Aadhaar number and confirm it by saying “Yes” or entering something (as prompted) on your phone to complete the process.
How to Check If Your Bank Account Has Been Linked with Aadhaar
In most cases, you will be notified of the status through an SMS on your registered mobile number or email address with the bank.
If you plan on linking your Aadhaar to your bank account, you are unlikely to find any information on how to check the status of your request on the UIDAI website. You will have to speak with your bank to know if your account and Aadhaar have been linked.
Previously, however, you could check if your Aadhaar and your bank account were linked via the UIDAI website.
The steps that were followed in this process were:
- Visiting the "https://uidai.gov.in/".
- You then had to navigate to the ‘Aadhaar service’ category and select ‘Check Aadhaar & Bank Account Linking status’.
- Once that was done, you would have to enter your 12-digit Aadhaar and the captcha provided.
- An OTP would then be sent to your registered mobile number.
- On entering the OTP and logging in, a screen with the status of your request would be displayed.
- If the linking was successful, the page would read ‘Congratulations! Your bank Aadhaar mapping is done’.
Do note that the above steps may not be valid any longer. If you wish to link your aadhaar card to your bank account, please get in touch with the bank.