It is compulsory to have a mobile number linked to your Aadhaar. The reason you should add your mobile number to Aadhaar is that all the secure online authentication takes place through OTP that is sent to the number registered with your Aadhaar Card.
Updating your demographic details on your Aadhaar card is quite simple if your mobile number was declared at the time of enrolment. The process can be completed online in such cases.
If, however, you didn’t declare your mobile number at the time of enrolment or your mobile number has changed, you will not be able to add your mobile number via the SSUP (Self Service Update Portal) portal.
In such cases, here’s what you can do.
Steps to Add Your Mobile Number or Email ID to Your Aadhaar Card
The steps involved to add your mobile number to your Aadhaar or change the mobile number are:
Visit a permanent enrolment centre. You can find a Permanent Enrolment Centre close to you through the UIDAI ‘Locate an Enrolment/Update Centre’ webpage. Visit: "https://appointments.uidai.gov.in/easearch.aspx"
- You will have to place a request with an operator at the enrolment centre.
- The operator will fill in the application form.
- If documents need to be verified, verification will take place by a verifier appointed by UIDAI, registrars present at Enrolment, or the Update Centre. The verification will be in line with the DDSVP Committee Recommendations.
- The operator will then enter the details into the client software.
- Your biometric details will then be verified.
- This will then be confirmed by the operator and their supervisor.
- You will receive an acknowledgement receipt. This receipt will have the Update Request Number (URN). You can use this number to track your Aadhaar.
There are 3 modes to help you in updating information. These are:
1. Update Client Standard
- Fields that can be updated: All biometric and demographic fields including local language.
- Identity authentication: Biometric check.
- Any fields which require documentary verification will be verified.
- This verification is done by a verifier appointed by UIDAI, registrars present at Enrolment, or the Update Centre.
- The verification process will follow the guidelines set by the DDSVP Committee Recommendations.
Form filling and acknowledgement:
- A form will be filled by the operator on update client and a biometric sign off will be provided against each request for an update.
- You will receive an acknowledgement receipt with the URN number which you can use to track your Aadhaar.
2. Update Client Lite (UCL)
- Fields that can be updated: All demographic fields, local language, and your photo.
- Identity authentication: Biometric authentication.
- Verification of documents will be done for those fields which require verification.
- This will be done by a verifier who is appointed by UIDAI. This can also be done by registrars present at enrolment or the update centre.
- All of the verification will be in line with the DDSVP Committee Recommendations.
- A form will be filled by the operator on update client and all updates will also have a biometric sign off from the operator’s end.
- Once this is done, you will receive an acknowledgement receipt. This receipt has the URN number which you can use to track your Aadhaar.
3. Update through AUA (Authentication User Agency) Point of Presence
- Fields that can be updated: Demographic fields.
- Identity authentication: Biometric authentication. However, UIDAI can use other means of authentication as well. This could include sending an OTP to your mobile number.
- Document verification: Based on the registrar’s verification, documents will be accepted by UIDAI.
Acknowledgement and form filling
- This process will be undertaken by the registrar’s operator on a device which includes a biometric authentication feature (Micro-ATM).
- The acknowledgement receipt could be a print out or in the form of an SMS or email based on the type of request. For instance, a request made to update the mobile phone number may result in the URN being sent to your mobile via SMS.
- For more information, you can visit the UIDAI webpage about updating of details: https://uidai.gov.in/my-aadhaar/about-your-aadhaar/updating-data-on-aadhaar.html.
Adding your mobile number to your Aadhaar card makes it that much easier for you to add or change other details in the future.