Earlier, there was an argument that linking mobile number with Aadhar would ensure that all the mobile numbers in the country are verified. The idea was that verification would have helped to weed out illegally obtained numbers. However, Aadhaar is no longer being used for mobile number verification.
If you want to know how to add mobile number to Aadhaar, you can read it on our website.
Steps to Follow for Aadhaar-Mobile Linking
Telecom operators used a few methods to complete the Aadhaar and SIM linking. The methods included verification via OTP (one-time password), agent assisted authentication, and IVR facility. Besides, individuals could also choose to visit the mobile stores to register their biometrics and complete the linking process.
Linking Aadhar with SIM for New Users
Users who wanted a new SIM needed to visit the nearest store of their mobile operators like Vodafone, Airtel, Idea, etc. to get a new SIM with Aadhar. Here are the steps that had to be followed for completing this process.
- Step 1: Visit the mobile operator’s store
- Step 2: Request for a new SIM
- Step 3: Provide copy of Aadhar for ID proof and address proof
- Step 4: Use the Biometric Scanner to scan fingerprint and verify Aadhar
- Step 5: New SIM would be issued after completion of the verification process
- Step 6: SIM would be activated approximately in an hour
Verify Mobile Number with Aadhar Through OTP
The OTP-based method was used to verify mobile numbers online and offline. In both the methods, the subscribers would receive an OTP on the registered mobile number. Below-mentioned are both the methods.
Using this method subscribers could complete the linking process sitting at the comforts of home. Given below is the step-by-step procedure of linking:
- Step 1: Visit the telecom operator’s website
- Step 2: Enter the mobile number to be linked, verified or re-verified with Aadhaar
- Step 3: OTP sent to the registered mobile number
- Step 4: Enter OTP and click on “Submit” to proceed further
- Step 5: A consent message would then be displayed on the screen. The 12-digit Aadhaar number to be linked had to be entered
- Step 6: A message would then be sent by the telecom operator for OTP generation
- Step 7: The user would then receive a consent message about the e-KYC details
- Step 8: The user had to accept all the terms and conditions and enter the OTP
- Step 9: On completing this, a confirmation message about the Aadhaar and phone number re-verification was sent
There were two offline methods to verify mobile number with Aadhar: SMS based verification and verification through IVR.
SMS Based Aadhaar and SIM Card Verification by Using OTP
Below-mentioned were the steps to reverify mobile number with Aadhaar by visiting a store and sharing the OTP. These steps were applicable to people who already had an existing mobile number.
- Step 1: Visit the nearest store of your telecom operator
- Step 2: Provide a copy of your Aadhar card that is self-attested
- Step 3: Submit the mobile number and Aadhaar card details correctly to the store executive
- Step 4: Use the re-verification application, a 4-digit OTP would then be generated and sent to your mobile number
- Step 5: Submit the OTP to store executive and provide biometrics
- Step 6: After 24 hours, you would receive a confirmation SMS. Reply “Y” to complete the e-KYC process
Steps to Link Aadhaar with Mobile Number by Using IVR
The Government of India to help all the telecom subscribers provided a single number for linking Aadhaar to SIM using interactive voice response (IVR) services. All the pre-paid as well as post paid subscribers could follow the below-mentioned steps to link Aadhaar with phone number.
- Step 1: Dial the toll-free number 14546 from your mobile phone
- Step 2: Verify whether you are resident of India or an NRI. Press 1 If you a resident of India to reverify Aadhar
- Step 3: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number
- Step 4: Press 1 to confirm your Aadhar number
- Step 5: Enter the mobile number registered with Aadhar to receive OTP
- Step 6: Provide your consent to allow the telecom operator to access your DOB, name, and photo from the UIDAI database
- Step 7: Enter the OTP received
- Step 8: Press 1 to complete the process of re-verification.
Please note that the processes and steps mentioned above are no longer valid. It is NOT MANDATORY to link Aadhar with mobile number any more.
FAQs on Linking Aadhaar and Mobile Number
- Was there any fee to link Aadhaar and Mobile number?
- Was the method of verification same for prepaid and postpaid subscribers?
- Could I use mAadhaar app for Aadhaar and phone number seeding?
- If people had three mobile numbers did they need to complete verification for each number separately?
No. The mobile operators did not charge any fee to link Aadhar with mobile number.
Yes, the method of verification was same for both prepaid and postaid subscribers.
No. The mAadhaar app can no longer be used for this process.
Yes, biometric verification had to be completed for each mobile number separately.