Aadhaar based e-KYC (electronic-Know Your Customer) offered by the Unique Identification Authority of India can be used voluntarily by Aadhaar card holders as a means to authenticate and establish their identity, if they so desire/consent. The Electronic Know your customer or e KYC is the way of resident authentication which allows the residents to submit it as an address proof electronically to banking companies. Aadhaar based e-KYC provides this information electronically, negating the need for physical document submission.
Under the existing system, the UIDAI has made provision for both Aadhaar Authentication and offline verification/ paperless-offline e-KYC
What is Aadhaar Authentication and e-KYC Services?
Aadhaar Authentication means the process by which the Aadhaar number along with the demographic information or biometric information of a Aadhaar number holder is submitted to the Central Identities Data Repository (CIDR) for its verification and such repository verifies the correctness, or the lack thereof, on the basis of the information available with it. The purpose of authentication is to enable Residents to provide their identity for the service provider (currently banking companies) to supply services and give access to the benefits.
Advantages of Aadhaar Authentication/e-KYC Services:
- Safe and secure method to share confidential information with relevant KUA’s.
- Online e-KYC is an instant authenticated verification, thereby speeding up the KYC process.
- Being online, there is a reduction in costs associated with paper-based verification.
- Since the information is shared through the UIDAI’s internal encrypted software, privacy and security of the data is assured.
What is Aadhaar Offline e-KYC?
Aadhaar Paperless Offline e-KYC eliminates the need for the resident to provide photo copy of Aadhaar letter and instead resident can download the KYC XML and provide the same to agencies wanted to have his/her KYC. The KYC details is in machine readable XML which is digitally signed by UIDAI allowing agency to verify its authenticity and detect any tampering. The agency can also authenticate the user through their own OTP/Face authentication mechanisms.
What data is covered in Aadhaar offline e-KYC Data?
While downloading/obtaining offline e-KYC data, following fields are included in the XML.Resident Name
- Download Reference Number
- Mobile Number (in hashed form)
- Email (in hashed form)
Aadhaar Paperless Offline e-KYC data is encrypted using a “Share Phrase” provided by the Aadhaar number holder at the time of downloading which is required to be shared with agencies to read KYC data.
Advantages of Offline Aadhaar e-KYC
There are numerous benefits and advantages associated with the Aadhaar e-KYC process, some of which are listed below:
- Accessibility: The KYC data can be shared by the Aadhaar card holder directly without the need for repeated requests to the UIDAI for access.
- Biometrics are not needed to verify the data being shared.
- Reliability: Since the e-KYC information is accessed from the master UIDAI database, all information provided is as per government records and thus tamper-proof.
- Security: The data that is shared with KUA’s is encrypted, preventing any misuse of the Aadhaar holder’s information.
- Privacy: Only information relevant to the KUA and the holder’s KYC requirements are shared through this system, ensuring the holder’s privacy. Additionally, biometrics and access to personal sensitive information is restricted.
- Aadhaar security: When a KUA requests KYC data, the holder’s Aadhaar number is not shared. Instead, a reference ID is generated and is used to complete the process, ensuring protection of data.
- Voluntary: This service is voluntary and an Aadhaar holder can choose whether he/she wants to share KYC details through the platform.
How Does Aadhaar Offline e-KYC Work?
The offline e-KYC process is a quick and convenient way for Aadhaar card holders to provide KYC details for authentication purposes. As a card holder, you can download an XML file of the KYC information and provide it to the relevant requesting agencies. The XML is verified by UIDAI and tamper-proof, further securing the data being shared.
How to Access Aadhaar Paperless e-KYC
Existing Aadhaar card holders can access their paperless e-KYC data by following the below steps:
- Visit: https://uidai.gov.in/ and download the Aadhaar Paperless Offline e-KYC form.
- Fill in the form and submit the same.
- The relevant information will be available for download as an XML file, digitally signed by the UIDAI.
How to Share Offline e-KYC Data
The downloaded offline e-KYC data can be shared with the relevant requesting agency by the card holder either in physical format or digitally. The ‘Share Phrase’ is to be provided to the agency/authority at this time since the data is encrypted.
For high resolution copies, sharing the information through an XML or PDF file is preferable.