Ever since the launch of Aadhaar, over 1 billion people have been enrolled in the scheme. Once enrolled these people get access to host of services that the program offers. These could include things like identifying individuals that are eligible for specific government subsidies to using Aadhaar as a proof of identity or address throughout the country. It can also be linked to bank accounts, PAN cards, voter’s ID cards, passports and much more. Now though there is another use for it and that use is related to the filing of taxes. Usually once you have filed taxes, you get the ITR-V which you need to verify online or print it, sign it and then send it to the income tax office. Now, if you have linked your Aadhar card to your income tax returns, it gives you another way to verify your ITR-V. Here is how you do this.
Linking Aadhar to Income Tax Returns
In order to link your Aadhaar to income tax accounts, you will have to link it to your PAN card. The process is a simple one and can be completed online. There are some prerequisites though that you need to take care of before going ahead with the linking. The first is that you will need to have an account on the income tax website and the second is that you need to ensure that the details on your Aadhar and those on your PAN cards are the same. Once these two things are done, here is what you need to do to link the two:
- Go to the income tax website.
- Log in using your user id and password.
- If you have not linked the Aadhaar, you will get a pop-up message to link it. If you don’t get the message then look under “Profile Settings” for the “Link Aadhaar” option.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and the verification code and the click on “Link Aadhar” to complete the procedure.
- If the details of your PAN card match your Aadhaar then the linking will be completed else you will have to try again.
Using Aadhaar to Verify ITR-V
It is only after successfully linking your Aadhaar and PAN card that you can use Aadhaar to verify your income tax returns. To verify your ITR-V follow these steps:
- Log into your income tax account.
- Click on “e-Verify Returns” under “e-File” to initiate the process.
- Select the returns that need to be verified. If the system says “No returns pending for e-Verifications” then you have either already verified the returns or you haven’t filed your taxes yet.
- Select to verify the returns using an Aadhaar OTP. This will generate a One Time Password that will be sent to your mobile number.
- Once you get the OTP, enter it to verify the returns. Once done successfully, you will be able to download the acknowledgement slip.
The biggest advantage of using Aadhaar to verify your income tax returns is that it makes the whole process very convenient and quick. If you haven’t not got an Aadhaar number yet, here is how you can apply for one.