The Gujarat Transport Department follows the law as mandated by the Indian Motor Vehicles Act 1988. According to Chapter 4 of the Act, a vehicle has to be registered under a registering authority, for the owner of the vehicle to be able to drive it at any public place. The vehicle has to be registered with a registering authority under whose jurisdiction area the vehicle is usually kept. Once a registration number is allotted to a vehicle (based on the state and RTO), a Registration Certificate (RC) is issued to the vehicle owner.
Surat transport, being a part of Gujarat Transport Department, follows the same rules in terms of vehicle registration. Listed below are the different methods you have to follow to get your vehicle registered in Surat.
Surat vehicle registration details:
Discussed below are the different processes that are related to vehicle registration:
Registration of a new motor vehicle:
Application for new registration:
- Application for a new registration is to be made by submitting Form 20 on the online web portal of the transport department.
- A printed copy of the duly filled Form 20 is to be submitted to the concerned RTO along the documents mentioned in the following section.
Documents required for new registration application:
- Certificate of sale in Form 21.
- Certificate of Road worthiness in Form 22.
- Photographs and identity proof of the applicant.
- Certificate of vehicle insurance.
- Address proof like Ration card, Voter’s ID, current electricity bill, current telephone bill, rent agreement, passport, etc.
- Form 22 Part 2 (A) is to be submitted along with Form 20 in case of an imported CKD (Completely Knocked Down) vehicle.
- In case of an imported CBU (Completely Built Up) vehicle, the bill of entry to Customs is to be submitted in addition to From 20.
Procedure of vehicle registration and Smart Card RC Book issuance:
- The vehicle is registered at a RTO under whose jurisdiction the vehicle is kept (residential or official).
- The printed copy of the duly filled up Form 20, the above mentioned documents, and copies of tax and fee payment receipts have to be submitted at the RTO.
- The vehicle has to be produced for inspection at the RTO in case the authorised local dealer does not inspect the vehicle.
- If the inspection is already done by the authorised local dealer, a certificate is issued which has to be submitted along with the application.
- After the verification of all the submitted documents, the RTO allocates a registration number to the vehicle. The number is allocated randomly unless the owner of the vehicle has opted to buy a fancy number by paying appropriate fees for that.
- The Smart RC Book is sent to the address filled in by the owner in the application form.
- Application for new registration:
You may also be interested in Bike Insurance Policy.
Duplicate copy of registration certificate:
In case the original registration certificate is spoilt or lost, an application has to be submitted for a new registration certificate.
Procedure of application for duplicate registration certificate or RC book:
- An application is to be made in Form 26 along with the vehicle’s chassis print.
- A police report and financer’s NOC (if any) is to be submitted along with the application.
- Documents like address proof, insurance certificate, and PUC Certificate have to be attached along with the application if the vehicle is bought through finance.
- An applicable fee of Rs.30 is to be paid for motorcycles.
- The fee applicable for a car is Rs.100.
- Procedure of application for duplicate registration certificate or RC book:
Did you know you can find the status of a registration certificate right on your computer screen?
Yes. The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways of the Government of India has a website known as Parivahan Sewa, which allows you to know the status of a registration certificate. The website’s homepage has a tab called the ‘Know your RC Status’. Clicking this tab redirects you to the RC status page. On this page you can type the number inscribed on the registration plate or number plate. Based on the registration number provided, the website gives out results which contain the vehicle’s make and model, fuel type, date of registration, chassis number, engine number, owner’s name, fuel norms compliance status, etc. You can get a Surat registered vehicle’s details by number plate through this website.