If you are looking to transfer the ownership of a bike or scooter, you can draft an application and present it at the office at which the particular two wheeler is registered. To be eligible for a two wheeler ownership transfer, there must be a purchase of a second-hand vehicle in which case the buyer may apply for the transfer of ownership, or the death of a registered owner of a vehicle in which case the application must be drafted by the legal heirs of the deceased owner.
In case a two wheeler is transferred to another individual who resides in the same state as the owner, the owner must report details regarding the transfer to the pertinent registering authority within two weeks of the transfer. In case a two wheeler is sold to an individual who resides in a different state as the owner, the concerned authority must be notified about the transfer by the seller within 45 days after the transfer. The concerned authority must also be notified by the purchaser about the transfer within 30 days after buying the two wheeler. In case the owner of a two wheeler has died, the individual who has acquired the bike or scooter must inform the concerned authority with 30 days, and must apply for a transfer of ownership within three months.
Documents Required for Transfer of Ownership of Two Wheelers in case of Sale / Purchase
Following are the forms you will have to fill for a transfer of ownership in case a vehicle is sold / purchased between two parties:
- Two copies of Form 29 must be filled up and attested with seller’s signature.
- Form 30 must be filled up along with the seller’s as well as purchaser’s signature with the chassis print affixed.
- In case of transport vehicles, Form TCA, TCR must also be filled up.
- NOC should be produced if the vehicle is bought from another RTO / region.
- NOC from entry tax must be produced if the vehicle is transferred from another state and the age of said vehicle is less than 30 months.
- NOC from financier, if any, should also be produced to the registering authority.
- All valid documents of the two wheeler must also be submitted along with the registration fee as mentioned in Rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989. The documents may include emission certificate, first registration certificate, valid insurance, the address proof of the transferer and three passport sized photographs.
Documents Required for Transfer of Ownership of Two Wheelers in Case of Owner’s Death
- Form 30 should be filled up and submitted with the chassis print affixed.
- Form 31 must be filled up.
- Form TCA, TCR should be filled up in case of transport vehicles.
- The Death Certificate of the owner of a two wheeler must be produced to the registering authority.
- A Succession Certificate, an Affidavit from Successor and NOC from the financier, if any, must also be produced.
- All the valid documents of the two wheeler must also be submitted along with the registration fee as mentioned in Rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989.
Procedure for Transfer of Ownership of Two Wheelers
- Following is the process to complete the transfer of ownership of your bike / scooter:
- Visit the Directorate of Transport.
- Form 29 and 30 must be filled up and submitted along with the registration certificate, emission certificate, valid insurance, fitness certificate (for transport vehicles only) and an up-to-date tax card.
- An original address proof must also be submitted by the seller of the vehicle along with three passport sized photographs.
- The concerned registering authority will verify the documents and the insurance policy of the seller will be transferred to the transferee. However, the transferee must ensure that the document is transferred in his name within 14 days.