Given below are some of the most frequently asked questions, related to passport application for an Indian citizen:
- What are the benefits of owning a passport?
As an Indian, there are several advantages of owning an Indian passport:
- It helps to travel across the World with a visa stamped on it, for a particular country.
- The document works as an age proof, address proof and identity, not only in India but across the world, for an individual.
- The passport allows people to also travel to some countries without a visa which includes exotic locations such as Maldives, Mauritius and Jamaica, to name a few.
- Can I apply for a passport at the passport office?
The application of a new passport can be made online. The documents can be uploaded and the application form can be submitted on the passport portal. The passport office however, has other functions as well.
- What can be done at a passport office?
- Though people may not apply at the passport office for a new document anymore a lot of functions are carried out at these offices:
- The Passport Offices (PO) reserve the right to revoke, issue and impound passports.
- They also control the PSKs under them.
- The back-end processes that are required to be conducted are all carried out at the passport office.
- This office also controls the printing, lamination and the delivery of passports to their rightful owner.
- They are well linked with the MEA Headquarters, state or union territory administration and the police force the office is situated in.
- They also handle legal cases related to passports.
- RTI cases and financial cases that are passport related are also handled by the organization.
- What is a PSK?
A PSK or a Passport Seva Kendra are offices that are branched out from their respective Passport Offices. They provide the front-end services required for issuing the passport. These offices have functions that include issuing token for passport issuing submission and several other services.
- What is PCC and how can I apply for it?
PCC stands for Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) which is necessary for passport issuance. A representative from the police, near your permanent address, visits your home to verify all the documents and details, submitted by you. He or she will also check whether you have any criminal records or carry out any illegal activities. However an application has to be made for the PCC.
The PCC form is available online. You can fill this form up through e-Form Submission or via Online Form Submission. Note, that you need to registered at the passport website and create a user account in order to place the PCC application.
- Can I submit a passport application at a passport office?
No, the application for a fresh passport has to be made and submitted at a PSK and not at the passport office. The passport office, handles all the back-end aspects of issuing passports.
- May I apply for a PCC online?
Yes, you can apply for a Police Clearance Certificate Online. But, you need to have reregistered user account, at the passport portal. You can get an account and then place the PCC application, incase you are not registered yet.
- Can I apply for a passport online?
Yes, you can submit your application for a fresh passport online.
- Can I apply for a re-issuance of my passport online?
Yes, it is possible to submit your application for passport re-issuance online.
- Where can i submit my application for a diplomatic or official passport?
You can submit the application for official and diplomatic passports are entertained only at the Consular, Passport and Visa (CPV) Division which is situated in Patiala House in New Delhi. But you could also apply at the Passport Office, which has jurisdiction at your current residential address.
- Is it possible for someone else to submit the application for my passport, for me?
As of December 2016, the current system makes it compulsory to be physically present, when submitting passport applications at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). The applications have to be submitted with the receipt for Application Print as well as original documents if you have submitted the application on the internet passport portal.
- How do I apply for changes in passport details such as adding the name of spouse?
You need to submit the changes with relevant documents at the PSK near your current address, online. Again, you need to be physically present for the submission.
- What are the services that are not provided by the District Passport Cells?
The services that you cannot avail at the District Passport Cells include:
- Re-issuance of passport Case
- Tatkal passport issuance Case
- Complex Cases that are labelled so, under the jurisdiction of the passport office.
- Other passport related services such as Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) application, etc.
- What kind of passport applications are handled at the passport office?
The following cases of applications for passports are handled at the regional passport office:
- Passports that are required for special purposes, to visit nations such as Taiwan or Israel.
- Official or diplomatic passports.
- District Passport Cell applications along with cases processing that have been sent by the respective PSK.
- Complex cases of passport application which have been specially sent to the Regional Passport Officer at Passport Office by the Assistant Passport Officer from the PSK.
- What are the steps for online application of a fresh passport?
Simply follow the steps given below and remember a few details about the online application:
- You need to visit the passport portal.
- Register at the passport portal and make sure that you keep the details of your user account safe.
- Log on to the passport portal with your user account credentials.
- You can either download the e-Form which you can fill in without the internet connection and upload it.
- You also need to upload the scanned copies of all the relevant documents for the application, so that you do not have to worry about it at the PSK. However, the original documents are required to be taken to the PSK for verification after the application has been submitted.