One of the most important documents that every Indian citizen will need to procure is a passport. This document serves not just as a proof of identity and address, but also allows holders to travel across the world under the protection of the Indian Government. Indian citizens can procure a passport both online or offline, by visiting the Passport Seva Kendra’s website or office, respectively.
In order to avail a passport, applicants will have to fill in the required forms, submit necessary identity and address proof and select a date for the appointment. On the required date, they must visit the Passport Seva Kendra at the appointed time, wherein their documents will be verified. After the necessary procedures and verification is complete, applicants will receive their passport by post.
Given below are some of the guidelines that should be kept in mind, by those who wish to avail an Indian passport.
- The Indian passport is a very important document and should remain in the personal custody of the passport holder, at all times. If not in personal custody, then a person who has been duly authorized by the holder will have to keep it their custody.
- Individuals are not allowed to send their passport out of India, by post.
- A passport is the only document that identifies the holder as an Indian citizen, in a foreign country.
- The passport is also a travel document, in addition to being a document of identification. Individuals cannot enter or leave India without their up-to-date passport.
- Individuals will have to ensure that their passport is always up-to-date and is valid. A passport can be renewed for up to a year prior to its expiry.
- In case an individual loses his/her passport, misplaces it or if the passport is destroyed or stolen, a report must be immediately filed at the closest police station, with an authority issuing passport as well as the closest Indian mission abroad.
- Apart from maintaining the original passport carefully, individuals will have to ensure that they maintain a photocopy of their passport. This will be useful, in case this document is stolen or misplaced.
- Applicants should note that they can be refused passport related facilities on the following grounds -
- Suppression of facts and information
- Providing information that is not true
- Wilful damage of passport
- Changing details in the passport, without authorization
- Tampering with information provided in the passport, without authorization
- In case an individual acquires the citizenship of another country, they will not be a citizen of India any longer. They will have to immediately get their Indian passport cancelled and the cancelled passport should be maintained carefully, if needed in the future.
- Provision of Indian passports Act of 1967 will be violated, in case the following acts are committed
- Travelling without valid passport
- Providing wrong information on the passport application form, on purpose
- Attempting to change entries in the passport
- Not providing passport for inspection
- Using a travel document or passport that is owned by someone else, on purpose
- Allowing another individual to use the holder’s passport or travel document, on purpose
- Holding over one valid passport at a given point of time
Any of the actions above can result in the individual getting imprisoned for a period of 2 years or fine, or both. Additionally, the individual’s passport can also be revoked by the Indian authority.
- In case the applicant is not a citizen of India, yet applies for a passport by withholding information regarding their nationality, or if the individual has a forged passport, they can be imprisoned for a period of 5 years along with a fine.
- Consular services will not be provided to refugees or dependents or others, if they have left India illegally.
Read More About Reasons Of Passport Being Rejected
The above guidelines should be kept in mind by not just those who wish to apply for an Indian passport, but also by those who already hold an Indian passport.