Aadhaar is 12-digit number provided by the Government of India through the Unique Identification Authority of India for the purpose of identification. This number can be also be used as an important proof of address in addition to identity. The idea behind this is to capture the demographic as well as biometric identity of citizens within the country and store the same in a centralized database. This card is also essential in case individuals wish to avail the benefits of the various subsidies being rolled out by the government.
Headquartered in Bengaluru, Canara Bank was established in the year 1906. This bank is one of the oldest in the country and also offers a number of products in the investment banking, consumer banking and commercial banking sectors among others.
There are two methods by which Canara Bank customers may link their Aadhaar to their bank account:
- Offline, by visiting the bank directly
- Online, via the bank website
In case an individual wishes to link their Aadhaar card to their bank account through their offline method, they will have to follow the steps given below-
- Visit the closest branch of Canara Bank along with the Aadhaar number.
- Speak to the designated person to link the Aadhaar to the bank account.
- You will have to provide your bank account number and the Aadhaar number.
- The bank clerk will make the application for linking.
- Once this is done, you should receive an acknowledgement.
- After the Aadhaar is seeded, an SMS or email notification will be sent to the customer.
In case applicants wish to link their Aadhaar card to their bank account through an online method, they will have to follow the steps given below-
- Visit the Canara Bank online banking website.
- If you already have an existing online bank account, you need to login to it with your Customer ID and password.
- If you have not registered for net banking, you will need to do so in order to link the bank account with Aadhar.
- Click on “Services” from the horizontal menu on the home page.
- On the left hand column, click on “Others” and then click on “Update Aadhaar Number”.
- You will be redirected to a page where you have to enter your Aadhaar number.
- Agree to the terms and conditions by clicking the checkbox and click on “Update”.
- You need to verify your details and click on “Verify”.
- Once this is done, you will receive a pop up stating that your request for Aadhaar seeding has been accepted. The request will be processed and validated with UIDAI.
- After successful seeding, you will receive an SMS on your registered mobile number.
Please note, once you update your Aadhaar online, you cannot make changes to it using the same mode. If you need to update, change or rectify any error in Aadhaar, you will need to visit a Canara Bank branch.
To ensure a hassle-free process of Aadhaar linking to bank account, you should carry the following documents when visiting a Canara Bank branch:
- Original and photocopy of their Aadhaar card
- Original and photocopy of their Passbook
Aadhaar has grown to be the world’s largest biometric identification system. It helps identify all residents of the country through demographic and biometric data. Seeding Aadhaar with the bank account will allow a resident to avail certain subsidies and direct benefits from the government.