Whether it is traveling to your place of work on a daily basis, or taking that much-needed road trip with your spouse, a two-wheeler always proves to be convenient and handy. Moreover, with a significant increase in the disposable incomes of people in India, the need to obtain fancy vehicle numbers has also increased. People are ready not only to spend luxuriously on purchasing two-wheeler but also on getting customised VIP numbers.
Vehicle numbers such as 7777 or 2222 often tend to stand out for their uniqueness. The desire to own such number plates has increased among two-wheeler enthusiasts in India as these are often considered to be special ‘lucky numbers’.
What are the Functions of the Motor Vehicle Department of Kolkata?
The West Bengal Motor Vehicle Department is responsible for fulfilling the following duties:
- Registration, Renewal, and Reissue: The department shall be responsible for issue of permanent and temporary registration of vehicles, address change, transfer of ownership, and issue of duplicate certificate for vehicle registration.
- Permits: The department shall be responsible for issue of permits to multiple vehicles for multiple purposes such as goods carriage and stage carriage. It shall also handle issuance of special permits, temporary permits, national permits, permanent permits, permit cancellation, and all India tourist vehicle permit.
- Tax Payment System: The department shall be responsible for tax collection with respect to new vehicles. It will also be required to collect other road taxes, as and when required.
- Driving License: The motor vehicle department shall be responsible for issuance of driving license of all types, new, duplicate, permanent, and endorsement.
- NOC/Fitness: The department shall be responsible for issuance of vehicle fitness or NOC. It shall also be required to renew the existing fitness or NOC of vehicles and issue new and duplicate NOCs whenever required.
Things to Know About Fancy Vehicle Number Registration in Kolkata
A few years back, West Bengal realised that the demand for fancy vehicle numbers was increasing as more and more people were opting for customised number plates for their two-wheelers. People were happy to pay an additional cost for these number plates by means of bidding. The following points must be kept in mind if you want to register your VIP vehicle number in Kolkata:
- In Kolkata, the number 0001 is the costliest in terms of a VIP two-wheeler vehicle number plate. The average cost for a number plate displaying 0001 is Rs.5 lakh or more, depending on the bidding amount.
- You will be required to pay the mandatory fee once you have obtained the VIP registration number from your RTO.
- If there are more than one applicants desiring to purchase a particular premium registration number, the same will be done through the process of bidding.
- In order to apply for a VIP number plate, you will be required to visit your RTO office to go through the list of available registration numbers.
Details of the Regional Transport Office in Kolkata
|RTO Office Code||Details||Address||Pin Code||Contact Details|
|WB – 01||Two-Wheeler||Beltala Road, Kolkata, West Bengal||700020||+(91)-33-24751621/24751622|
|WB – 02||Private Four Wheeler||Beltala Road, Kolkata, West Bengal||700020||+(91)-33-24751621/24751622|
|WB – 03||Goods Carriage||Beltala Road, Kolkata, West Bengal||700020||+(91)-33-24751621/24751622|
|WB – 04||Commercial Vehicle||Beltala Road, Kolkata, West Bengal||700020||+(91)-33-24751621/24751622|
|WB – 05||Commercial Vehicle||Beltala Road, Kolkata, West Bengal||700020||+(91)-33-24751621/24751622|
|WB – 06||Private Vehicle||Ruby, Kolkata, West Bengal||700101||-|
|WB – 07||Private Vehicle||Ruby, Kolkata, West Bengal||700101||-|
In case you desire to obtain a premium registration number for your two-wheeler, you will be required to visit the RTO (near you) as soon as possible, or else you might miss out on the same.