The Bihar Transport Department operates under the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The department offers a range of services to regulate the transport system in the state and implement the rules and laws formed under the MV Act. It facilitates registration of vehicles, issue of driving licenses, issue of vehicle permits and fitness certificates, and collection of taxes to increase the revenue of the state.
Need For Vehicle Registration
A vehicle RC book is an official document that acts as a proof of vehicle registration. The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 restricts any person from driving an unregistered vehicle in any public place in India. The same rule applies with two wheeler insurance as well. To register a vehicle in Bihar, the applicant must make an application using the prescribed forms to the District Transport Office in their region. The same must be done within 7 days of vehicle purchase during the working hours of the DTO/RTO.
Documents Required For Vehicle Registration In Bihar
The forms required to apply for vehicle registration can be obtained from the nearest RTO/DTO or can be downloaded online. An application can be made in Form 20 along with the following documents:
- Sales certificate of the vehicle in Form 21
- Roadworthiness certificate in Form 22/22A issued by the vehicle dealer
- Valid insurance document of the vehicle
- Passport sized photographs of the vehicle owner
- Vehicle invoice issued by the dealer of the vehicle
- Temporary Registration Certificate (if any)
- Customs clearance certificate (for imported vehicles)
- Bank loan related documents (in cases where the vehicle is under hypothecation/hire purchase/lease agreement)
- In case of vehicles purchased from any other state, a payment receipt for entry tax and Form VIII received from the commercial tax department need to be submitted
- Sale certificate from the concerned authority (in case of an ex-army vehicle)
- Design approval copy issued by the State Transport Commissioner (in case of trailer and semi-trailer vehicles)
- PAN Card copy (if the cost of the vehicle exceeds Rs.4 lakh)
- Attested copy of address proof
- Attested copy of age proof
- Government issued ID proof
Once you submit the application along with all the necessary documents, the RTO/DTO will verify the information provided by you. Post which, the new vehicle will be inspected by the inspecting authority at the RTO/DTO. After successful inspection, the registering authority will provide you with a vehicle registration number and a receipt. Till the Registration Certificate is not received by you, the receipt can be used as a proof of vehicle registration. The Registration Certificate can be collected from the RTO/DTO or can be received via post.
You may also like to read Two Wheeler Insurance Policy Online.
Expected Time for Issuance of RC Book
The RC book/Smart Card is dispatched within 30 days after the application is submitted at the RTO/DTO.
Allotment of Vehicle Registration Number
Each vehicle is assigned a unique vehicle registration number by the registering authority. The registration number plate must be affixed at the front and rear of the vehicle and must be clearly visible. Use of ambiguous fonts is not allowed. The vehicle owner must attach the number plate to the vehicle within 30 days from the date of assignment of the registration mark.
Validity of A Registration Certificate
A Registration Certificate for a non-commercial/private vehicle is valid for a period of 15 years from the date of issue. After the expiration of the validity, the registration must be renewed every 5 years. The application for renewal of RC must be made within 30 days from the date of expiry.
RTO Locations and RTO Codes in Bihar
|BR RTO Locations||BR RTO Codes||BRRTO Locations||BRRTO Codes|