All Indians above the age of 18 years are granted the right to vote in elections on the basis of one person, one vote. However some entities abuse this privilege and have multiple voter ID cards issued in the name of a single individual. In order to eradicate this menace, the Government has taken the step of linking an individual’s voter ID card (known as EPIC) with their Aadhaar card.
The Aadhaar card is a unique ID issued to an individual that is valid throughout the individual’s lifetime. As an Aadhaar card requires an individual’s biometric information such as their fingerprint and iris scans, an individual can have only one Aadhaar number issued to them.
Thus, linking the Aadhaar with the EPIC is an effective way to get rid of bogus or multiple voter ID cards in a single individual’s name.
Process of Seeding Aadhaar with EPIC
The Aadhaar- EPIC linking process is known as seeding and is carried out through the NVSP portal. The steps to seed Aadhaar with EPIC can be done through multiple channels, as mentioned below:
Seeding Online through NVSP Portal:
To seed your Aadhaar card with your EPIC card through the NVSP portal, kindly follow the steps outlined below:
- Visit the official NVSP website run by the Government of India and enter you state, district and personal details such as name, date of birth and father’s name.
- Once you have filled in the details, click on the “Search” button. Your details will be displayed on screen if the information you entered matches with the government database information.
- On the left hand side of the screen, a “Feed Aadhaar No” option will be visible.
- Click on it, whereupon a pop-up window will appear where you will have to feed in your name as per your Aadhaar card, your EPIC number, Aadhaar number and your registered mobile number/registered email address.
- After correctly entering in the information, click “submit”.
- A notification will appear on screen informing you that your application to link Aadhaar and EPIC was registered successfully.
Seeding Through SMS:
Your Aadhaar card can be linked to your EPIC card by sending an SMS, details of which are given below:
- Send the following SMS format to 166 OR 51969:
ECILINK < EPIC_Number > < Aadhaar_Number >
For example, ECILINK XYZ1234567 543215678, where “XYZ1234567” is the Aadhaar number and “543215678” is the APIC number.
Seeding Through Phone:
The Aadhaar can also be linked to the APIC card by calling the dedicated call centers set up for the purpose.
Simple call 1950 on weekdays between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm and provide your EPIC and Aadhaar card information to link the two.
Seeding Through Booth Level Officers:
- You can also link your Aadhaar card with your EPIC card by submitting an application to your respective Booth Level Officer (BLO).
- The BLO will conduct a door-to-door survey, when your information will be recorded.
- The information will be sent for processing following the collection of the information.
Alternatively, e-Seva centres, special camps as well as Voter Facilitation Centres will conduct this activity. You can check with your local voter office for details on when these special camps will be run in your locality.
How to Check the Status of your Aadhaar-EPIC Seeding
Once you have submitted your details through any of the methods listed above, the application will be processed by the authorities. To check the status of your application, you will have to visit the official NVSP website and enter the information as mentioned in the section “Seeding Through NVSP Portal”.
On completing the process, a notification informing you that the request has already been registered and is under process will appear.