The Unified Payment Interface(UPI) offered by Canara Bank is named ‘Empower’. This app enables (or literally empowers) customers of Canara Bank and other banks to perform collect and pay transactions through a single mobile app.
A user can operate multiple bank accounts that he/she holds through the Empower app. A virtual address needs to be set for each of the bank accounts and this ID is used when the customer collects money from another user. There is no risk of exposing the mobile number of the customer, his/her account number, or IFSC code to anyone. It can be used to perform the settlement of bills effortlessly. The app is available for download on Android phones from the Google Play Store.
Key features and benefits of the Empower app
Listed below are the significant features and benefits of the Canara Bank UPI, Empower:
- Using the app, it is possible to perform real-time fund transfer on a 24x7 basis.
- The facility is available to all users who have a savings account/overdraft/current account with Canara Bank. Customers of other banks can also download and use the Empower application, as long as his/her bank is on the IMPS platform and is also live on UPI.
- The daily upper limit for funds transfer per customer is Rs.1 lakh.
- There is no need to share the customer’s account details for financial transactions, hence making it a secure option for money transfer.
- The customer can request for collection of money from another user, a facility that is not available on any other fund transfer platform.
Money can be sent to a recipient using the following parameters:
- A virtual ID that resembles an email ID
- Account number and IFSC code that will not be revealed
- Aadhaar number that is also protected
- Mobile number of the customer
- The customer can add his/her multiple bank accounts in the same application.
- The app uses the customer’s bank’s mobile banking MPIN.
- The Empower app provides multilingual language support, i.e., in English and Hindi, for ease of use.
- The app will soon be enhanced with other regional languages support and merchant transactions such as recharge.
- The transactions performed using the Empower app are currently free of any charges.
Registration and setting of MPIN
A customer can register to use the Empower app through the following steps:
- Initially, the user should create a profile.
- The next step is the creation of a virtual payment address to be linked to the bank account. This address will be in the format, abc@cnrb, where abc is the unique profile identifier.
- The customer can then add or link his/her bank account.
- It is possible to register for mobile banking using the app.
- The customer will have to set the MPIN for the selected account, following which he/she can start using it for interbank funds transfer.
General business rules governing the Canara Bank UPI facility
- If the customer enters the wrong password thrice during login, the application will be blocked.
- If the wrong MPIN is entered thrice, the UPI facility will be blocked for the rest of the day. If there are three such consecutive blockages, the customer will be deactivated from the facility. He/she would then have to register again to the service, as per the guidelines issued by the bank.
- If the customer does not access the facility for 180 days or more, the registration will be suspended.
- Once the user deletes a virtual address he/she cannot create the same virtual address for the following 2 years.
- If the user wishes to change the mobile handset, he/she will have to register again to the service.
- The user is expected to keep the login password and MPIN confidential, and should not record the same anywhere.
Canara Bank UPI has an exclusive customer service cell that can be contacted through the email address, email@example.com. The customer service team can also be reached at the toll-free number, 1800 425 0018.
Canara bank UPI FAQs
How many transactions can I perform in a day using Empower?
There is no limit on the number of transactions that can be done in a day. A limit is set only on the maximum amount that can be transferred in a day, i.e., Rs.1 lakh.
What mobile platforms support the Empower app?
Currently, the app is compatible with Android phones with versions 4.4.4 and above. The facility will soon be extended to iOS and Windows phones as well.
How is UPI different from mobile banking?
Most of the banks have a mobile banking application. When a user holds accounts in multiple banks, he/she will be required to download the mobile banking apps of all those banks in order to transact from each account. On the other hand, the customer of any bank can download and use the UPI of a different bank. The user can add all of his/her bank accounts under a single app and transact from any of the accounts, effortlessly.
Can registration to Empower be done using dual SIM mobile phones?
Yes, this is possible. The app automatically detects the dual SIM facility in the phone at the time of registration. It then requests the user to choose the SIM using which the registration to Empower will be done.
What are PUSH and PULL transactions?
PUSH transactions are those using which you send money to a recipient. PULL transaction is when you collect money from a user.
What happens when I close the underlying account that I added on Empower?
When you register to Empower, the app will ask you to identify an account as primary account, and it will be mapped to the virtual payment address. If you wish to close this primary account, you can follow any of these steps:
- If only this account is linked to the virtual address, delete the account. You can then add another account as tag it as the primary account.
- If you have multiple accounts linked to your virtual payment address, click on ‘Virtual Address’ option under ‘My Banks’. The various accounts linked to the virtual address will be listed there. The primary account will be highlighted with ‘*’ next to it. The other accounts will have a bullpin. You can tap on the bullpin of another account to make it the primary account.