It is said that the future of a nation is in the hands of its children, with both boys and girls expected to play a major role in development. India is one such country with a huge potential for growth in the future, growth which is possible only through inclusive means. Women in India are often denied basic rights owing solely to their gender, making it hard for them to fully realise their potential. The Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme was launched with an aim to bridge the financial gap which had previously prevented women from achieving their best. This small savings scheme is the brainchild of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and has a vision to provide for the education and marriage needs of a girl child, offering her adequate opportunities to pursue her dreams.
This scheme offers a host of benefits, both to the girl child and her parents/legal guardians. Tax benefits under this scheme ensure that deposits aren’t too heavy on the wallet of a family, enabling them to continue with their normal way of life without additional burdens.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 8.1%.
Tax Benefits under Sukanya Samriddhi Account(SSA)
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana offers the following tax benefits to those enrolled in the scheme.
- Investments made towards this scheme are eligible for tax deduction under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. This deduction is subject to a maximum of Rs 1.5 lakh towards this scheme.
- This scheme accrues interest which is compounded and credited to the account annually. This accumulated interest is exempt from taxes, ensuring that the funds grow to their maximum potential.
- The amount invested can be withdrawn on maturity or on closing the account. This amount is exempt from tax, ensuring that the girl child can utilise the amount in its entirety without having to pay tax on it.
These tax provisions ensure that both the depositor and the beneficiary enjoy tax exemptions, ensuring they can carry on with their lives without having to worry about taxes.
Tax Deduction Eligibility Criteria
The Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme allows provisions for one depositor to deposit money on behalf of the girl child. This depositor could either be a parent or a legal guardian. While contributions towards this scheme are eligible for tax deductions, only one depositor can claim tax exemptions under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. This means that either a parent or a legal guardian can claim exemptions, not both.
Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme is a win-win for both the girl child and her parents/legal guardian, offering tax incentives to both, paving the way for a brighter future for the child.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SSY Canara Bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Documents Required
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana NRI
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Interest Rate
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Post Office
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Online Check
- Online Transfer to SSY
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojaa Bank List
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund
- SBI sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Passbook
- Bank of Baroda Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Eligibility
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Fixed Deposit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account For OCI And PIO
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Bank of Maharashtra Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Union Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Premature Withdrawal
- Indian Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Central Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Uco Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- SSY Calculator
- SSY Mobile Application
- Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Axisbank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In SBH
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In State Bank Of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Allahabad Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Andhra Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sbbj Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SBP Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Vijaya Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rules Relating To Sukanya Samriddi Account Yojana
- United Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rbi Rules For Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening
- Alternative Birth Certificate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Public Provident Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Recurring Deposit
- ICICI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account