In you are the owner of a vehicle, you must know the importance of the RC card/book. The Government of India has made it mandatory to carry a copy of the RC card/book while you are driving. A Registration Certificate copy or RC is a document that proves your vehicle is registered with the Regional Transport Office (RTO) authorities. Nowadays, you can avail your Registration Certificate copy in the form of a Smart card.
The smart card will have the following information on it:
- Registration Number
- Registration Date
- Engine Number
- Chassis Number
- Colour of the vehicle
- Type of the vehicle
- Seating Capacity
- Model Number
Thus, it is very difficult to fool a cop with a fake smart card, except if he has no clue about how to read it.
But what should you do if you lose your smart card (original)? Well, do not worry or panic. As long as you know the process well, it is not difficult to get a duplicate smart card issued. You must also have all the required documents in place before you apply for the duplicate smart card.
Let us talk about the process of getting a Duplicate Registration Certificate Smart Card.
Things you need to do:
- Firstly, you must register a complaint with the police at the nearest police station. You must provide all the details about how and where exactly you lost your RC card. You must also mention the registration number of your vehicle, model, your name and address, chasis number of the vehicle, engine number, etc.
- A challan will be issued to you that says ‘RC Card Lost’.
- Download Form 26 and fill it up. You will easily find this form on the official website of RTO.
- If you purchased the car or bike on loan, you will have to get the NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the bank that gave you the money.
- A triplicate copy of Form 26 should carry the endorsement of vehicle registering authority.
- You must carry a photocopy of your vehicle insurance, emission test paper and driving licence.
- Submit all of these documents to the vehicle registering authority.
- Pay the required amount for your duplicate smart card.
The correct procedure:
- Firstly, purchase a blank file that will hold all your papers. Write your name, address, mobile number on the file. Name the file as ‘Duplicate RC request’.
- On a Stamp Paper worth Rs.20, get the affidavit made stating all the details of your card or bike. Ensure that the fact about your missing RC card is also mentioned on it.
- All documents including emission test photocopies, Form 26, passport sized photographs, insurance papers, local address proof and identity proof must be there in the file. Submit this file to the RTO Superintendent.
- After the Superintendent verifies all your documents, he will put his signature on them.
- For your ID proof verification and attestation, you will have to visit the ARTO (Assistant Regional Transport Office).
- Collect the receipt after you pay the necessary fees and charges.
- You must go to the Superintendent of the RTO with the receipt so that he can verify and sign it.
- Obtain the acknowledgement slip from the counter.
- This particular slip will have the date on which you will receive your RC card.
What information is mentioned in the RC smart card?
The RC smart card will have a lot of information like:
- Engine number
- Registration number and date
- Colour and vehicle type
- Seating capacity
- Chassis number
- Model number
If I shift from Kochi to Delhi and I am taking my car with me, can I use the same registration certificate I got in Kochi?
No, you cannot use the same RC. You can transfer your registration certificate from one state to another in India. For this, you will have to give a No Objection Certificate (NOC). This will be issued by the (Regional Transport Office) RTO.
How do I check the status of my RC?
Your RC will be delivered at your home within 7 days of your vehicle being registered. If you want to check the status of your RC, you can visit the website, parivahan.gov.in/rcdlstatus
You will have to enter your registration number to see the status of your RC.
What documents do I have to submit for changing the address on my Registration Certificate?
For changing your address, you will have to submit these documents:
- Original RC certificate
- NOC from original registering authority in Form 28
- Form 33
- A copy of PAN card or Form 60 and Form 61 (signed)
- Signed copy of PUC certificate and valid driving license
- Signed copy of the registered address proof and also your new address proof
Do I need to give any stamp paper when I apply for a new RC?
Yes, you need to get a stamp paper of Rs.20.