There is a growing demand for fancy vehicle registration numbers in Bhubaneswar as modern-day bike enthusiasts want their motorcycles to make a unique style statement. The demand for mid-to-premium range bikes in the city has increased significantly and so is the number of people who want to display a number plate that conveys a message. Registration numbers like 8055 (Reads Boss), 007 (James Bond), and others are in great demand due to the unique appeal they carry. The Odisha government keeps aside a list of special registration numbers that are allotted via auction.
What Does A Vehicle Registration Number Represent?
The registration of a vehicle is as important as the two-wheeler insurance. The Motor Vehicles Act makes it compulsory to display the registration number of the vehicle at the front and back of the vehicle. A number plate gives important details about the vehicle. The first two-letter code in the registration number represents the state in which your two-wheeler is registered. The next two-digit code in the registration number stands for the RTO where the vehicle is registered with. Here are the RTO codes for various offices in Odisha:
|RTO Code||Place Name||RTO Code||Place Name|
|OD 01/OR 01||Balasore||OD 19/OR 19||Angul|
|OD 02/OR 02||Bhubaneswar||OD 20/OR 20||Gajapati|
|OD 03/OR 03||Bolangir||OD 21/OR 21||Jagatsinghpur|
|OD 04/OR 04||Chandikhol||OD 22/OR 22||Bhadrak|
|OD 05/OR 05||Cuttack||OD 23/OR 23||Jharsuguda|
|OD 06/OR 06||Dhenkanal||OD 24/OR 24||Nabarangpur|
|OD 07/OR 07||Ganjam||OD 25/OR 25||Nayagarh|
|OD 08/OR 08||Kalahandi||OD 26/OR 26||Nuapada|
|OD 09/OR 09||Keonjhar||OD 27/OR 27||Boudh|
|OD 10/OR 10||Koraput||OD 28/OR 28||Debagarh|
|OD 11/OR 11||Mayurbhanj||OD 29/OR 29||Kendrapara|
|OD 12/OR 12||Phulbani Kandhamal||OD 30/OR 30||Malkangiri|
|OD 13/OR 13||Puri||OD 31/OR 31||Sonepur|
|OD 14/OR 14||Rourkela||OD 32||Bhanjanagar|
|OD 15/OR 15||Sambalpur||OD 33||Bhubaneswar II|
|OD 16/OR 16||Sundergarh||OD 34||Jajpur|
|OD 17/OR 17||Baragarh||OD 35||Talcher|
|OD 18/OR 18||Rayagada||-||-|
The third and most significant component of the number plate is the four-digit registration number assigned to the vehicle. All registration numbers always fall in the range of 0001 to 9999. After all the numbers from the range are allotted, two additional letters are placed before the registration number and the same series continues.
Fancy Number Registration Process In Bhubaneswar
Special registration numbers in Odisha are divided into two main categories as under the provisions of Odisha Motor Vehicle Rules, 1993. These are as follows:
- Notified fancy registration Numbers: This category of registration numbers is allotted online to the applicants after the payment of prescribed fee.
- Other Than Notified Fancy Numbers: These registration numbers are assigned to applicants based on a first-come-first-serve basis. For two-wheelers, these numbers can be booked for Rs.5,000. However, the number reserved should be within the range of 10,000 consecutive numbers in the series.
List of Notified Registration Numbers That Can Be Availed In Bhubaneswar Along With Their Base Price
|Category||Registration Numbers||Base Price of Registration Number|
|I||0001, 0009||Rs.1 lakh|
|II||0002, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0007, 0008, 0011, 0786, 1111, 1234, 7777, 9999||Rs.60,000|
|III||1000, 2222, 3333, 4444, 5000, 5555, 6666, 7000, 8055, 8888, 9000||Rs.40,000|
|IV||0010, 0012, 0022, 0033, 0055, 0066, 0070, 0077, 0090, 0099, 0100, 0101, 0111,0123, 0222, 0333, 0555, 0707, 0777, 0909, 0999, 1001, 2000, 2020, 3000, 4000, 5050, 6000, 7007, 7700, 8000, 8008, 9009, 9090, 9900||Rs.10,000 for two-wheelers and Rs.20,000 for other vehicles.|
Participating In The Online Auction
Applicants who wish to bid for their preferred registration numbers should register themselves online and create their user ID and password. To register yourself for the auction, visit the official Odisha Transport website and click on Booking/Reservation of Registration Number under the ‘Online Services’ menu. The page will take you to the Parivahan website where you can enter your details and complete the registration process.
Below is the step-by-step process to register yourself for the auction:
- Open the Parivahan fancy number auction website. Click ‘Public Login’ to enter the registration page.
- Click ‘New User’/’Create a User Id’ if you are not already registered. Fill in your details in the registration page. A User ID and password will be sent to the applicant via email or SMS.
- Log in to the website using your login credentials and select from Fancy Number Registration and Other Than Notified Numbers.
- Click ‘Proceed To’ and select ‘Number Selection Menu’ from the top menu. Now you can choose the number you wish to bid for.
- Choose the RTO, type of vehicle, and select the checkbox for your desired registration number.
- Enter your address along with other details. Make the payment through any of the available online payment options.
Transfer of Reserved Fancy Number
Any registration number which is reserved online cannot be transferred to another person. The vehicle should be registered in the name of the person on whose name the number is reserved.
Minimum Reservation Price
A minimum fee should be deposited to participate in the online auction. The reservation fee is refunded to the applicants who do not get their preferred registration numbers.
On the Parivahan website, you can have a look at the amounts bid by all the applicants for a specific number and bid for a higher number in multiples of one thousand. The result of the auction is displayed on the website and the successful bidders are communicated via SMS and email. The winner of the bid has to deposit the remaining balance to the RTO within a specific time. Failing to do so will result in the forfeiture of the number allotted.