One of the many services that Kotak Mahindra Bank has rolled out to enhance convenience for their customers is the Kotak Unstructured Supplementary Service Data. Here, a customer can carry out a few services such as transferring funds, checking their balance and bank statement with just an SMS. The benefit being that the customer does not require a smartphone or an internet connection. He/she just needs to have their mobile number registered with the bank.
Benefits of the Kotak Unstructured Supplementary Service Data
- A customer does not require an internet connection or a smartphone to use this service.
- Even by using a GSM phone can one transfer money from his/her account to another.
- Works only with registered mobile numbers.
- Funds can be transferred instantly.
- No requirement of entering and validating details of the beneficiary.
- Transfer up to Rs.5,000 a day.
- Customers can check their outstanding balance, and details of their last three transactions.
How to register for Kotak USSD
- Once you have your mobile number registered with the bank, dial *99#.
- Select the language of your preference.
- Type "Kotak" or "KKBK" and send message.
- The customer will then get a message of the bank accounts linked to his/her mobile number. In this case, choose the Kotak Mahindra Bank account number.
If a customer wishes to make a transfer, he/she will have to set up a UPI PIN, which is mandatory. Follow the steps to set up a UPI PIN.
- After having your mobile number registered, dial *99#
- Next, enter the last 6 digits of your debit card and the expiry date - separated by a space
- Enter the UPI PIN of your choice. This will be a 6 digit PIN.
- Re-enter the PIN and confirm.
- Your UPI PIN will be registered. Now a customer can make a transfer.
Steps to make a transfer using Kotak USSD
- Dial *99#
- Next, select 1 to send money
- Type 1 again to send money to mobile number
- Enter the mobile number of the beneficiary
- Enter the amount. The limit is Rs.5,000 per day.
- Enter UPI PIN and click on submit.
Steps to transfer funds to VPA (Virtual Payment Address) of beneficiary:
- Dial *99#
- Select 1 to transfer money
- Select 3 to send money to Payment Address
- Enter the VPA of the beneficiary
- Enter the amount
- Enter your UPI PIN and click on submit
Steps transfer funds using the beneficiary's IFSC or account number:
- Dial *99#
- Select 1 to send money
- Select 5 to transfer funds via IFSC code or account number
- Enter the account number and IFSC code of the beneficiary
- Enter the amount one wishes to transfer
- Enter the UPI PIN and click on submit.
Steps to check account balance and view mini statement using Kotak USSD
- Dial *99#
- Select 3 to check balance. To view last 5 transactions, select 6.
- Enter the UPI PIN.
- Once the PIN is entered, the customer will receive a message of the balance or the transaction statement.
Kotak USSD FAQs
What is the use of this USSD service?
This service comes of good use to customers that do not have a smartphone or an internet connection. Just using the SMS service, a customer can carry out a fund transfer, check his/her balance, and view transactions details.
How secure is this service?
This can be used only by mobile numbers that have been registered by the bank. That said, it is quite secure.
What is the fund transfer limit using Kotak USSD?
A customer can transfer a limit of Rs.5,000 per day using the Kotak USSD.
How will I know if the funds have been transferred?
Both the sender and the receiver will receive a message from their respective banks confirming the transaction.
What kind of handset is required for this service?
Any normal phone can be used for this service - not necessary to have a smartphone in this case. Even a basic GSM phone will do.
GST of 18% is applicable on all banking products and services from July 1, 2017 onwards.