The Oriental Bank of Commerce, popularly known as OBC, is a public sector bank based out of Gurgaon, Haryana. The bank is among the foremost government-owned bank in India and offers a wide range of products and services across the banking spectrum. Established in 1943, the OBC operates more than 1000 branches across the country.
The OBC Sukanya Samriddhi Account is a special scheme launched in 2014 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the benefit of the girl child. OBC is among the 28 banks chosen to accept Sukanya Samriddhi Account applications from customers.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 8.1%.
Features of OBC Sukanya Samriddhi Account
The account has several features such as:
- Account opening: The account can be opened by a parent/legal guardian on behalf of the girl child. One account can be opened per girl child and each family can have a maximum of 2 Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts. In case of twins, families are allowed to have a maximum of 3 accounts. Accounts can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs.250.
- Age: Any girl child up to the age of 10 years can have this account opened on their behalf. Children born between 2nd December 2003 and 1st December 2004 are being offered a grace period of 1 year.
- Amount: The account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs.250 and in multiples of Rs.100 thereafter. The maximum limit of deposits is Rs.1.5 lakhs p.a. Deposits have to be made for 14 years continuously, failing which the account will get suspended until payment of Rs.50 penalty for every year the account has been disabled. You can use the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana calculator for calculating how much monthly amount you want to put in your Sukanya Samriddhi Account.
- Closing: The account can be closed after the lock-in period of 21 years expires or the girl child gets married, whichever is earlier. The account can be continued after the lock-in period has expired to enjoy earning interests. Premature closure is allowed after 18 years provided the account holder is married.
Benefits of OBC Sukanya Samriddhi Account
A host of benefits are available with Oriental Bank of Commerce Sukanya Samriddhi Account:
- High rate of interest: Interest rates are going to be revised on a yearly basis. The interest rate for the year 2018-2019 is 8.1%
- Account transfer: The account can be transferred to any of the banks accepting Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts throughout the country to enhance accessibility in the event that the depositor has to move base.
- Partial withdrawal: The account allows partial withdrawal of up to 50% of account balance as per the previous year’s closing balance. This withdrawal is allowed only when the girl child turns 18 years old for the purpose of her higher education.
- Tax exemption: Tax exemption of up to Rs.1.5 lakhs per year can be claimed on deposits made into the Sukanya Samriddhi Account. This exemption will fall under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Deposit amount flexibility: Deposits are accepted from a low of Rs.250 p.a. up to Rs.1.5 lakhs per year in multiples of Rs.100 making the account accessible to all classes of society.
- Exclusivity: The proceeds from the account can only be disbursed to the girl who is the account holder, ensuring the funds aren’t misused by anyone else.
Documents Required for OBC Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Opening the Sukanya Samriddhi Account with Oriental bank of commerce requires very few documents as follows:
- Birth certificate of girl child
- Identity proof of parent/legal guardian
- Address proof of parent/legal guardian
Account holders are provided with a passbook containing details regarding the account number, deposits made, account balance as well as personal details such as name and address of the account holder.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SSY Canara Bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Documents Required
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana NRI
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Interest Rate
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Tax Exemption
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Post Office
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Online Check
- Online Transfer to SSY
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojaa Bank List
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund
- SBI sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Passbook
- Bank of Baroda Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Eligibility
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Fixed Deposit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account For OCI And PIO
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Bank of Maharashtra Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Union Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Premature Withdrawal
- Indian Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Central Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Uco Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SSY Calculator
- SSY Mobile Application
- Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Axisbank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In SBH
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In State Bank Of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Allahabad Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Andhra Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sbbj Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SBP Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Vijaya Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rules Relating To Sukanya Samriddi Account Yojana
- United Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rbi Rules For Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening
- Alternative Birth Certificate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Public Provident Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Recurring Deposit
- ICICI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account