How to Register a Vehicle in Assam RTO

It is mandatory to have your vehicle registered as per rules under Section 39 of the Motor Vehicle Act 1988. This rule states that motor vehicles should be registered as per the mandates of Chapter-IV of The Motor Vehicle Act, 1988. After purchasing a vehicle, it has to be registered in the District Transport Office under whose jurisdiction the business or residence of the applicant falls.

Procedure to Apply for Vehicle Registration in Assam

Within 7 days of the date of the vehicle's delivery, excluding the period of journey, an application for registration should be submitted to the District Transport Officer. Government-approved vehicle dealers can also register and deliver the vehicles to the owner.

The documents required for this are:

  • Form 20
  • Sale Certificate in Form 21
  • For ex-army vehicles, original sale certificate in Form 21
  • Road Worthiness Certificate from the manufacturer in Form No. 22
  • Temporary registration if any
  • Valid Insurance Certificate
  • Customs clearance certificate for imported vehicles
  • Proof of address

Temporary Registration

A temporary registration is done when a vehicle manufacturer provides only a chassis and the owner later builds or attaches the body to the chassis. Under Section 43 of The Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, a temporary registration is provided for a period of one month until the body is built. The registration certificate can be extended if required.

Renewal of Registration Certificate of Non-Transport Vehicle

To renew a registration certificate of a non-transport vehicle in Assam, an application in Form 25 has to be made to the District Transport Office under whose jurisdiction the vehicle is driven. The vehicle will have to be produced for on-the-spot inspection by the relevant official at the District Transport Office. After verification, the renewal of the registration certificate will be done which will be valid for up to 5 years.

The following documents are required for this renewal of registration:

  • Registration of Certificate
  • Insurance Certificate
  • Valid tax paid
  • Pollution Under Control Certificate

Duplicate Registration Certificate

A duplicate Registration Certificate has to be applied for if the original has been lost or damaged.

The following are the documents required:

  • Application in Form-26
  • Original copy of FIR. or the police report in case it was stolen
  • Photocopy of Insurance Certificate
  • Tax clearance
  • Photocopy of Pollution Under Control Certificate

Transfer of Ownership

When ownership of a vehicle is transferred, it has to be reported to the District Transport Office under whose jurisdiction the transferee and transferor has a business or resides.

The following documents are required:

  • Form 29 (in duplicate)
  • Form 30 (in duplicate)
  • Certificate of Registration
  • Certificate of Insurance
  • For vehicles from other states, No Objection Certificate
  • Valid Pollution Under Control Certificate
  • Clearance of road tax
  • Proof of address
  • For transport vehicles, fitness certificate
Transfer of Ownership in case of the Death of the Registered Owner

In case of death of a registered owner, the person who succeeds to the possession of the vehicle or the legal heir has to inform the matter to the District Transport Officer within 3 months of the death.

The following documents should be submitted:

  • Application in Form-31
  • Affidavit by the applicant
  • Death certificate of the registered owner
  • Original Registration Certificate
  • Insurance certificate
  • Pollution Under Control Certificate
  • Proof of address
  • If the vehicle was under hire purchase agreement, then No Objection Certificate from the financier

Change of Address in Registration Certificate in Assam RTO

If the owner of a motor vehicle registered in Assam has migrated to other state or relocates his business to another state, the registering authority has to be informed within one month from the date of arrival in the new state.

The following documents are required:

  • Application in Form-33
  • Original Registration Certificate
  • Proof of address

Assignment of New Registration Mark

A new registration number has to be applied for if the owner of a registered vehicle in Assam has relocated to another state and resided there for more than a year. The application for a new assignment number has to be made in Form 29 and should be submitted along with a No Objection Certificate in Form 28. This is as per Section 47 of The Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.

Cancellation of Registration Certificate

If a vehicle has been damaged beyond repair or becomes impossible to use, it has to be reported within 14 days to the registering authority by the owner along with the registration certificate in original as it will need to be suspended.

Choice of Fancy Registration Mark

It is now mandatory to register the vehicle within one year of allotment of a fancy or choice number or within one month of the current series of mark is completed, whichever is earlier, failing which the allotment of the number is liable for cancellation.

Allotment of Registration Marks to the Dealers

In order to facilitate quicker and smoother registration by owners, a system has now been introduced where current registration numbers for temporary or permanent registration is allotted to the vehicle dealers or manufacturers itself.

FAQs on How to Register a Vehicle in Assam RTO

  1. Should I keep the original registration certificate in my vehicle or the photocopy?

    You should always keep the original registration certificate in your vehicle and have a copy at home.

  2. Can I use the registration number of one vehicle for another?

    No, the registration number is assigned only to the vehicle for which it was applied for.

  3. How do I make changes in my vehicle registration certificate?

    You can make changes in your vehicle registration certificate through the official Parivahan Sewa website.

Driving Licence
How To Apply for DL in States
How To Apply for LL in States
DL Related Articles
How to Apply for DL in Cities
How To Apply for RTO in States

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.