The number of Indian students looking forward to studying abroad continues to see a surge, owing to the luring opportunities in foreign countries. With a plethora of degrees and courses offered in colleges and universities abroad, the average Indian student is seeking education in foreign colleges and universities to acquire knowledge and skillset to help them get a job of their choice.
Along with planning the nifty grittiest of seeking admission to colleges, it's paramount to also plan the travel aspects on the sidelines. It predominantly includes getting a passport and applying for a visa. As an aspiring student planning to study abroad, it makes sense to get a passport as early as possible since the process of getting one can be cumbersome and time consuming. The process of getting a student passport has been provided below for reference.
- Collect all the required documents and paperwork - originals required
- Schedule an appointment on passportindia.gov.in by paying the required fee
- Visit the designated Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) as per the appointment
- Provide the required documents to the representatives. At this stage you will be required to furnish self attested documents along with the originals for verification.
- Collect the acknowledgement receipt and check the status online
The overall process of issuing a passport takes anywhere between 25 - 30 days.
How To Apply Passport For Students?
Applying for a passport when you are a student is not that different from the normal application process. Given below are the steps that a student needs to follow in order to apply for a passport.
- Collect all the required documents
- Make an online payment and schedule an appointment with the Passport Service Kendra
- Visit Passport Service Kendra at the scheduled time
- In case there is a problem with the documents or appointment, schedule another appointment. One can schedule up to two appointments in a year.
Student Passport Application Form
The applicant needs to fill in the passport application form that is available on the website. The applicant also needs to carry a copy of the online payment receipt.
Student Passport Required Documents
A list of acceptable documents have been provided for reference below. Make sure to gather all the required documents along with the originals before taking an appointment since non-fulfillment can lead to seeking a reappointment.
Latest utility bill such as water or electricity Latest telephone bill - fixed line or mobile bill Income tax assessment order Photo id card issued by election commission If employed, certificate issued by a reputed employer Aadhar card Rental agreement (registered) In case of minors, passport copy of parent's (first and last page) Photo passbook of an active bank account (scheduled public & private Indian sector banks and RRBs
- The address proof submitted should be of current place of residence only. The passport application form will contain provisions to provide previous places of residence in the year preceding the date of application.
- Aadhar card or e-Aadhar will be accepted as both Proof of Address (POA) and Proof of Photo Identity (POI) upon successful validation with the Aadhar database.
- Minor students can submit address proof issued in the name of their parents.
- Proof of Date of Birth
One of the documents below should be submitted as proof of date of birth.
|Birth certificate issued by the local municipal authority or other competitive authority authorized by the Registrar of Births & Deaths|
|Secondary school leaving certificate/School leaving certificate. Only certificates issued by recognized boards and educational institutions are valid.|
Along with the documents above, students applying for a passport may also be required to provide the documents below.
- Student ID card
- Bonafide certificate issued by the college
In case the original educational certificates are not available due to reasons such as certificates being retained by the current institution where the student is studying, a certificate or a letter stating the same can be produced. Photocopies of certificates attested by the head of the institution can be submitted.
- As stated earlier, the process to obtain a passport begins with registering and submitting the application online. Visit the portal, register under the relevant section, fill up the online form, make the payment and schedule an appointment at the nearest PSK (Passport Seva Kendra). The applicant can make a payment via debit/credit cards, internet banking (SBI and associates only), or pay by SBI bank challan. The fee paid is valid for one year from the date of first appointment. For applicants under the tatkal scheme, the balance fee is payable at the PSK once the request has been accepted by the officials.
- Once the application has been successfully submitted, you can visit the designated PSK along with the required documents and two sets of photocopies of the same. Photograph is not required. If you’re unable to make it the PSK as scheduled, you’re advised to cancel or reschedule. One can do so for up to two times within an year from the first appointment date.
Student Passport Fee
Applicants have to pay a fee of Rs. 1,500 for fresh passports. The payment should be made online while booking an appointment with the Passport Service Kendra. Given below are the ways through which one can make the payment.
- Internet banking
- Debit card
- Credit card
- SBI Challan
How to Renew Passport for Students
Passport issued in India is usually valid for ten years from the date of issue. One cannot renew the passport one year before the expiration of the current passport. When a new passport is issued, the old passport will be cancelled and returned to the individual.