Along with planning the nifty grittiest of seeking admission to colleges, it's paramount to also plan the travel aspects on the sidelines. It predominantly includes getting a passport and applying for a visa. As an aspiring student planning to study abroad, it makes sense to get a passport as early as possible since the process of getting one can be cumbersome and time consuming.
How to Apply Passport For Students?
The applicant needs to fill in the passport application form that is available on the website. The applicant also needs to carry a copy of the online payment receipt. The overall process of issuing a passport takes anywhere between 25 - 30 days. The process of getting a student passport has been provided below for reference.
- Collect all the required documents and paperwork - originals required
- Schedule an appointment on passportindia.gov.in by paying the required fee
- Visit the designated Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) as per the appointment
- Provide the required documents to the representatives. At this stage you will be required to furnish self attested documents along with the originals for verification.
- Collect the acknowledgement receipt and check the status online
Student Passport Required Documents
A list of acceptable documents have been provided for reference below. Make sure to gather all the required documents along with the originals before taking an appointment since non-fulfillment can lead to seeking a reappointment.
1. Address Proof (should be of current place of residence only)
- Latest utility bill such as water or electricity
- Latest telephone bill - fixed line or mobile bill
- Income tax assessment order
- Photo id card issued by election commission
- If employed, certificate issued by a reputed employer
- Aadhar card
- Rental agreement (registered)
- In case of minors, passport copy of parent's (first and last page)
- Photo passbook of an active bank account (scheduled public & private Indian sector banks and RRBs
2.Proof of Date of Birth
- Birth certificate
- Secondary school leaving certificate/School leaving certificate. Only certificates issued by recognized boards and educational institutions are valid.
Along with the documents above, students applying for a passport may also be required to provide the documents below.
- Student ID card
- Bonafide certificate issued by the college
In case the original educational certificates are not available due to reasons such as certificates being retained by the current institution where the student is studying, a certificate or a letter stating the same can be produced. Photocopies of certificates attested by the head of the institution can be submitted.
Student Passport Fee
Applicants have to pay a fee of Rs. 1,500 for fresh passports. The payment should be made online while booking an appointment with the Passport Service Kendra. Given below are the ways through which one can make the payment.
- Internet banking
- Debit card
- Credit card
- SBI Challan
How to Renew Passport for Students
Passport issued in India is usually valid for ten years from the date of issue. One cannot renew the passport one year before the expiration of the current passport. When a new passport is issued, the old passport will be cancelled and returned to the individual.