A driving licence is an integral part of life nowadays. Being able to drive puts you in charge, allowing you the freedom to go wherever you wish to. It is a useful skill no matter what age or where you live, and it comes with a number of benefits. Driving would get you to work faster with a more direct route than a bus or other forms of public transport. It also serves as a valid proof of identity and age, and is accepted universally.
The government regulates individuals who drive through issuance of driving licences. The driving licence permits you to drive or ride a vehicle based on your meeting the basic criteria laid down when it comes to driving.
Different states have different rules regarding driving licences and their issue. The rules and laws governing driving licences in Maharashtra are given in detail below.
Types of Driving Licences in Maharashtra
Applicants who wish to make a driving licence application in Maharashtra can choose the type of vehicle they wish to apply for. The state of Maharashtra offers driving licence for a number of vehicle types, as given below:
Transport Vehicles - This licence is applicable to those who drive commercial and goods vehicles, with a further classification mentioned below:
- Light Motor Vehicle (Passenger) - This category includes taxis, auto rickshaws, delivery vans, jeeps etc.
- Medium Goods Vehicle - This category includes vehicles such as tempos, delivery trucks which are used for the transport of goods.
- Medium Passenger Vehicle - This category includes vehicles like minivans, tempos for passengers, larger commercial vehicles.
- Heavy Goods Vehicle - This category includes vehicles such as trucks and large vans, meant to transport goods.
- Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle - This category includes vehicles such as buses used for commercial passenger transport.
- Road Roller
Non-Transport Vehicles - This licence is applicable to applicants who drive private vehicles, with further classification as mentioned below:
- Motorcycle with gear- This includes vehicles such as scooters, mopeds.
- Motorcycle with gear- This category includes all gear motorcycles.
- Light motor vehicle- This category includes small private cars (sedans, hatchbacks etc)
- Motor vehicles- This option is to be selected if the vehicle you are applying for a licence for does not feature in the list mentioned above. You will have to provide a description of the vehicle.
The categories mentioned above are broad classifications. The state has further classifications under certain categories, as in the case of motorcycles, which are classified based on the cubic capacity of the particular bike.
How to Apply for Driving Licence in Maharashtra
Those applying for a driving licence in Maharashtra can now do so from the comfort of their homes as well, with the Regional Transport Authority (RTO) in the state introducing online applications as well.
Now, applicants can choose whether they wish to apply online or visit the RTO for an offline application.
Details regarding both the application processes are given below.
Driving Licence Eligibility in Maharashtra
Before applying, however, the applicant has to ensure he fulfils the following criteria laid down by the Motor Vehicles Act regarding eligibility:
- Individuals should be above 16 years of age to apply for a two wheeler driving licence and above 18 years of age to apply for a vehicle driving licence.
- Applicants who wish to apply for a transport vehicle driving licence have to be above 20 years of age.
- Applicants must have a Learner’s Licence before applying for a permanent driving licence.
- The permanent Driving Licence has to be applied for after 30 days and within 180 days of the Learner’s Licence being issued.
Offline Driving Licence Application Process in Maharashtra
Individuals can apply for a driving licence offline in Maharashtra by visiting their nearest Regional Transport Office (RTO) and collecting the form for a new driving licence application.
Once you have filled in the form and submitted the required documents, you application will be verified and processed. You will receive an acknowledgement, and will be contacted regarding your eligibility.
Once you have received your eligibility confirmation, you can visit the RTO Office with your original documents for the driving test.
Your driving test will be conducted on a first come, first served basis.
Online Driving Licence Application Process in Maharashtra
Online applications for driving licence have been introduced in Maharashtra, making it easier for applicants to apply. Now applicants do not need to visit the RTO to collect a form or submit their documents, but can do it wherever they are, at their convenience.
The entire application process is conducted online, and you will receive an acknowledgement or receipt at each stage of the application process.
Additionally, as an applicant you can also schedule an appointment for their driving test. You will be able to bypass the driving test queue and be assured of a driving test schedule in this way.Application Form:
The procedure for applying for a Driving Licence online in Maharashtra is a simple one, with the details mentioned below:
- Visit www.sarathi.nic.in, the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Select the “Driving Licence” tab on the homepage, whereupon the form for a new driving licence will be displayed.
- You can choose to download the form onto your computer and fill in the information requested (such as vehicle details, personal details etc.) at the moment or fill it up at a later time.
- Once you have filled in all the relevant details, upload the documents required and submit the form. You will have to carry the originals when you visit the RTO for your driving test.
- You will receive an acknowledgement, an application number and you will receive a notification once your application has been processed.
Booking Appointment for Driving Licence test
Once you have submitted your application form and received a notification regarding your eligibility to take the test, you can book an appointment for the same online.
This enables you to choose a test date and time that is convenient for you, and also ensures your test takes place on the selected date. The procedure for booking an appointment is given below:
- Visit www.sarathi.nic.in and select the “Appointment for slot booking” option on the homepage.
- Select the “DL Slot Booking” option from the drop down menus at the top of the page and select the “Slot Booking for Online Applications” option.
- Fill in the details on the page that opens, such as the online application number.
- You will be then be able to select a date and time slot for your driving test.
Once the appointment slot has been fixed, you will have to be present at the RTO with your original documents as mentioned in your application form.
If you pass the test successfully, you will be issued with a Driving Licence, which will be sent by post to the address mentioned in the application form.
Documents to be Submitted for Driving Licence Application in Maharashtra
When applying for a driver’s licence in Maharashtra, applicants have to provide certain documents on the basis of which their eligibility is determined. The documents to be submitted are mentioned below:
- Application Form (Form 4)
- Learner’s licence (original)
- Recent passport sized photographs (3 copies)
- Proof of age document (refer below for document list)
- Proof of address document (refer below for document list)
- Driving school certificate (for transport vehicle licences)
- All documents pertaining to the car being used for the driving test
Proof of Age documents
Applicants can submit any 1 of the below documents as proof of age for their driving licence application:
- Birth certificate
- School certificate
- Voter’s identity card
- Pan Card
- Other document as prescribed by state government
Proof of address documents
Applicants can submit any 1 of the documents listed below as proof of address for their driving licence application:
- Voter’s identity card
- Life insurance policy
- Ration card
- Utility bills such as electricity bill,, telephone bill
- State or Central government issued pay slip
Driving Licence Application Fee in Maharashtra
Individuals applying for a driving licence in Maharashtra are required to pay an application fee of Rs. 200 for a computerised chip licence as well as Rs. 50 for the driving test. An ordinary licence would cost Rs. 40.
How to Check Status of Driving Licence in Maharashtra Online
Applicants who wish to check the status of their application can do so by visiting the government website, www.sarathi.nic.in.
On the homepage, click on the “Status of Web Application” option under the National Registry Services column.
You will be asked to enter your Application number, after which your application status will be displayed on the screen.
How to Check Status of Driving Licence in Maharashtra Offline
You can also check your driving licence status offline in Maharashtra by visiting the RTO where you submitted your application.
You will have to provide information such as your Application number, Learner’s Licence number etc.
Driving Test Procedure in Maharashtra
- Applicants who wish to obtain a driving licence in Maharashtra are required to take a driving test to measure their driving skills and abilities. On the basis of their test, they will be issued a licence.
- The driving test would be conducted at the nearest RTO under the supervision of a Motor Vehicle Inspector.
- The applicant is required to report for the driving test with the original documents (age proof, address proof, car documents), which will be verified.
- Applicants have to possess a Learner’s Licence and a certificate from a driving school (in case of transport vehicle licence applicants).
- If the applicant is successful, a driving licence will be issued to him, with the licence being sent by post to the address mentioned in the application form.
- If the applicant is unsuccessful, he can re-take the test within 7 days.
How to Make Corrections in Driving Licence in Maharashtra
Driving licences that have been issued occasionally contain minor errors such as names and addresses being misspelled. As the driving licence also functions as identity proof, it is important that the errors be corrected.
In some cases, an individual may have changed their name after marriage, and this change has to be reflected in the individual’s driving licence as well. The process for making such changes is given below:
Documents required for Corrections in Driving Licence in Maharashtra
The application can be made at the RTO where the licence was issued only. The following documents have to be submitted when applying for a correction in a driver’s licence in Maharashtra:
- Application form
- In case of change of name, supporting documents such as marriage certificate, gazette notification have to be attached along with the form.
- Current driving licence copy
Procedure for Correction in Driving Licence in Maharashtra
- Once the application form is submitted, an acknowledgement will be provided to the applicant and a temporary licence with the changes will be issued.
- A fresh driving licence with the changes will be posted to the applicant’s address as listed on the form.
The applicant is required to submit the form in person with the required supporting documents.
In case the changes are to be made at an RTO that did not issue the licence, an NOC (No Objection Certificate) is to be obtained from the RTO that issued the licence.
How to Change Address in Driving Licence in Maharashtra
As a driving licence holder, you may change your address over a period of time. As per law, your driving licence should reflect this change, and it is necessary to make the change on the licence within a period of 7 days from the date you have changed your address.
All individuals who possess valid driving licences are permitted to apply for a change in address, with the documents and procedure detailed below:
Documents Required for Address Change in Driving Licence in Maharashtra
- Application form
- Current driving licence copy
- Changes address proof (ration card, utility bills, passport, etc can be submitted)
- NOC (No Objection Certificate) from original licence issuing authority
- Application fee
Procedure for Address Change in Driving Licence in Maharashtra
The applicant is required to be submit the documents in person to the RTO, along with a requisition letter addressed to the Regional Transport Officer and the application fee.
The applicant’s photograph will be taken at the RTO and verified.
A temporary licence will be issued containing the changes address.
The permanent driving licence with the changed address will be posted to the applicant’s address as mentioned on the application form.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Maharashtra
Individuals whose driving licence has expired can apply for a renewal. They have to apply for a renewal within 30 days of the driving licence expiring. The criteria for applying for a renewal of driving licence in Maharashtra is given below:
- Step 1: The individual has to personally visit the RTO for the driving licence renewal process.
- Step 2: Individuals who have been barred from applying for a driving licence cannot apply.
- Step 3: A driving licence that has lapsed over 5 years ago cannot be renewed. The applicant will have to apply for a new licence, including taking the driving test.
Documents to be Submitted for Driving Licence Renewal in Maharashtra
- Renewal of Driving Licence Application Form (Form 9)
- Current Driving Licence
- Physical fitness declaration form (Form 1)
- Medical Certificate (Form 1-A), if applicable
- Passport sized photographs (3)
- Application fee (please visit the RTO for details as to the current application fee)
- NOC (No Objection Certificate). This is to be submitted in case the renewal is done at an RTO other than the one that issued the expired driving licence.
Procedure for Renewing Driving Licence in Maharashtra
- The application forms, fee and additional documents have to be submitted by the applicant in person to the RTO where the expired driving licence was issued.
- The applicant will receive an acknowledgement and a receipt for the application fee.
- The applicant will receive the renewed driving licence by post to the address as stated on the application form.
How to Apply for Duplicate Driving Licence in Maharashtra
A driving licence is susceptible to wear and tear due to frequent use. It can also be damaged or torn, making it invalid. In the case of chip-based driving licences, if the chip is damaged, the licence becomes invalid and the holder has to apply for a duplicate driving licence.
The licence holder may have also misplaced or lost his driving licence, making it necessary to apply for a duplicate driving licence.
In Maharashtra, the process for applying for a duplicate driving licence is very simple and hassle-free. Following are the conditions under which a duplicate driving licence will be issued in Maharashtra:
- In case of theft, loss of driving licence, damage to licence.
- In case of mutilation or torn licence.
- For chip based driving licences, in case of damage to the chip, making it unreadable.
- Duplicate licences will NOT be issued to individuals whose licence has been seized or who are barred from applying for a driving licence by the authorities.
- It will also not be issued to those individuals who already possess a valid driving licence.
Documents Required for Duplicate Driving Licence Application in Maharashtra
The following documents are to be submitted when applying for a duplicate driving licence in Maharashtra:
- Application form (LLD form)
- In case of theft, police report or FIR (First Information Report)
- Driving licence details such as holder’s name, licence number, etc
- Passport sized photographs
Procedure for Applying for Duplicate Driving licence in Maharashtra
- Applicant is required to submit the application form and other required documents in person to the RTO that issued the licence.
- In the event the RTO did not issue the licence, the applicant will have to get an NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the RTO that issue the licence.
- The applicant is required to submit proof of identity and pay the application fee at the time of submission of the documents.
- Once the RTO has verified all the information, a duplicate driving licence will be issued to the applicant.
Please note- The duplicate driving licence is to be applied for as soon as the theft or loss of the driving licence is realised. If there is a gap of more than 6 months between the application and the loss/theft, the application will have to be sent to the Headquarters of the Transport Department for approval, resulting a lengthier process.
In the case of licences that are torn or damaged, the duplicate licence is to be applied for as soon as the damage is noted by the licence holder.
How to Apply for International Driving licence in Maharashtra
Individuals holding a valid Indian driving licence who are travelling overseas may desire to drive while abroad. However their Indian licence may not be valid in those countries, necessitating the need to acquire an International Driving Licence.
The International Driving Licence permits Indian citizens with valid Indian driving licences to drive abroad legally. The licence is easy to acquire and can be applied for before the applicant embarks on his/her trip abroad.
The applicant is not required to pass an additional driving test to receive the licence.
Following are the eligibility criteria for applying for an international driving licence in Maharashtra:
- Applicants have to be above 18 years of age at the time of applying.
- Applicants have to possess a valid Indian driving licence.
- Individuals whose licences have been revoked or have been seized cannot apply.
- Applicants who have driving licences issued in Maharashtra can apply for an international driving licence only. Applicants whose licences were issued in other states are required to change their address to their Maharashtra one before applying.
- Applicants whose driving licences were issued within 3 months of their application for an international driving licence will have to re-take the driving test.
Documents to be Submitted for International Driving Licence Application in Maharashtra
- Application form
- Copy of Indian Driving Licence
- Copy of Passport and visa
- Medical certificate (as mentioned in the form)
Procedure for Applying for International Driving Licence in Maharashtra
- Applicants are required to submit the documents to the RTO in person and pay the application fee (Rs. 500) for the licence.
- The application will be verified by the RTO, and the licence will be issued based on eligibility.
- The licence will be posted to the applicant’s address as mentioned on the form.
FAQs on Driving Licence in Maharashtra
Is a learner’s licence mandatory when applying for a Driver’s licence?
Yes, a learner’s licence is necessary when applying for a driver’s licence. When applying for a transport driving licence, a certificate from a motor training school is also mandatory.
- What documents do I have to submit pertaining to my car when applying for a driver’s licence in Maharashtra?
When applying for a driver’s licence in Maharashtra, you have to submit the below documents relating to your car:
- Registration certificate
- Car insurance proof
- Fitness certificate (in case of transport vehicles)
- Tax payment proof
You should have the following documents with you at all times when driving your vehicle:
- Valid driving licence
- Tax certificate
- Registration certificate
- PUC certificate
- Insurance certificate
- Fitness certificate