In modern times that we live in, knowing how to drive a motor vehicle has become an essential life skill. To legally drive vehicles on Indian roads, you must hold a valid DL. The first step to getting a DL is obtaining a Learner's License. The Learner's License is a provisional document issued by the RTO and acts as a restricted DL. A Learner's License is issued to people who are learning to drive and has not yet satisfied the criteria to get a DL. To get a Learner's License, one must be familiar with the road signs and must pass a written test. Holding a Learner's License will allow you to practise on roads, with an accompanying person holding a valid DL, and will help you develop a traffic sense before you can actually take out your vehicles on the road.
In Maharashtra, the process of getting a Learner's License is very simple and straightforward. With most of forms and procedure available online at the Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department’s website, candidates can get a Learner's License without any hassles. As per the road rules in Maharashtra, a person must hold a valid Learner's License before he can get a permanent DL. Also, individuals can get in touch with the nearest RTO in the state of Maharashtra to get more information regarding Learner's License.
- Details on:How to Apply for DL in Maharastra
Types of Learner License in Maharashtra
To get a permanent DL for a certain class of vehicle, the candidate must hold the Learner's License pertaining to that vehicle type first. To get a DL for Light Motor Vehicle category, the applicant must have secured a Learner's License for the same category. In Maharashtra, a DL is offered for the following categories and Learner's License is also offered for the same - Motor Vehicle without gear, heavy goods & passenger vehicle and Light Motor Vehicles (LMV).
- Learner's License for Vehicles without gear - The applicant must be at least 18 years old to apply for a Learner's License for motor vehicles without gear. Also, the applicant must get the consent of a parent or a guardian before applying.
- Learner's License for Light Motor Vehicles including Vehicles with Gears - The applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- Learner's License for Commercial Vehicles - The applicant must be at least 20 years old and must have held a permanent DL for Light Motor Vehicles (LMV) for at least a year.
How to apply online for a Learner's License in Maharashtra
Candidates in Maharashtra can get a Learner's License without any hassles by making use of the Maharashtra Transport Department’s online portal. Using the Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department’s website, candidates can easily get all the required information about Learner's License and also apply for a test slot. Follow the simple steps given below to apply for a Learner's License in Maharashtra online.
- The applicant has to visit the Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department’s website to download the application form for Learner's License.
- The applicant has to download Form No. 2, Form 1 , Form 1 A to apply for Learner's License. The same can be downloaded from Maharashtra Transport Department’s online portal.
- The candidate must then book a slot online for Learner's License test through Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department’s website. Once the slot is confirmed, an email will be sent to applicant’s address from Regional Transport Office, Andheri West Zone.
- Alternatively, the applicant can also visit the nearest RTO to book a slot for taking the Learner's License test. The applicant must mention the test center and district while booking a slot for Learner's License test and check the availability.
- The candidate must be present at the test center on the specified time and date for taking the Learner's License test and must carry along with all required documents. Once the applicant passes the test, a copy of Learner's License will be sent to the registered address through courier.
Documents Required for Learner License in Maharashtra
The applicant must submit the documents given below, before taking the Learner's License test for the Learner's License application to be processed by the RTO.
- Learner's License test appointment receipt
- Completely filled Form No. 2
- Completely filled Form 1 (physical fitness declaration) and Form 1 A, a medical certificate to be provided by a certified medical practitioner, in case of Learner's License application for heavy & transport vehicles and for candidates aged above 50 years.
Address proof, which can be any of the following documents.
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter ID
- Recent Electricity bills or telephone bills
- Ration Card
- Age Proof, which can be any of the following documents
- Life insurance policy, Ration Card
- Voter ID card
- Birth certificate
- Recent passport size photographs of the applicant
- If the individual is applying for a Learner's License for Transport vehicle, he must produce the original driving license held by him for at least a year for Light Motor Vehicle.
How to apply for a Learner's License in Maharashtra
The procedure of applying for a Learner's License in Maharashtra is very simple and applicants can make use of the Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department online portal to get all information about documents and procedures required for Learner's License. Given below is the procedure of applying for a Learner's License in Maharashtra.
- step 1: To obtain a Learner's License, the candidate must first take a test for the same. The candidate can book a slot online to take the Learner's License test in Maharashtra. Alternatively, the candidate can also reach out to the nearest RTO office to book a slot for Learner's License test.
- step 2:The applicant must submit all necessary documents including KYC documents and application form at the RTO before taking the Learner's License test.
- step 3: If the candidate is applying for a Transport Vehicle license, the original copy of his permanent DL which was issued at least an year back must be presented at the RTO.
- step 4: Before taking the Learner's License test, the candidate must also pay a nominal fee of Rs. 30 for each class of vehicle at the RTO. The test will be a computer based test that will test the applicant’s knowledge of road signs and safety.
- step 5: The applicant must be present at the test centre on given time and date to take the test. Upon completing the Learner's License test successfully, the copy of original Learner's License will be sent to the residence of applicant.
How to Make Corrections in Learner's License
If you have received your copy of Learner's License but if you have to make some correction, you can do so by getting in touch with the RTO office. Just follow the easy steps given below to make corrections in your Learner's License in Maharashtra.
- To make corrections in your Learner's License, you must contact the RTO that originally issued your Learner's License. For example, if you had got your Learner's License from the Andheri RTO, you will not be able to make corrections to it in any other RTOs in Maharashtra or any other state RTOs.
- You must present the required documents which will be specified by the RTO depending on the correction. For example, to make a correction in your name, you must present the birth certificate or marriage certificate (if you have change your last name).
- You will have to submit the original copy of Learner's License and make an application for the required changes to be made. The application must be submitted to the Regional Transport Officer.
- If your request is accepted and approved, you will be asked to pay a nominal fee for making corrections. You will also be issued a receipt for the same.
- The receipt can be used in place of Learner's License till you receive the new Learner's License.
- To know more about the process, fee and the documents required, do enquire with the RTO that originally issued your Learner's License.
Test Procedure for Learner's License in Maharashtra
The test procedure for obtaining a Learner's License in Maharashtra is described below.
Booking a Test Slot for Learner’s License Online
- The applicant will have to book a slot online and choose a time & date to take the Learner's License test. A slot for Learner's License test can be booked online at Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department website.
- The page will be redirected to Ministry of Road Transport and Highways site. Choose “Sarathi License Services” and select “Appointment for Slot Booking”.
- You will be required to enter the web application number and date if birth to get your details.
- The screen will display your application details which was provided at the time of online booking. The RTO where the service is to be obtained will also be mentioned. You will be able to choose a slot and confirm your slot booking.
- If you have to take a new Learner's License test appointment, you can use “Confirm to Book” option which will take you to a calendar. You can choose your preferred date and time and also preview the option before confirming.
- You can directly save the “Confirmation” page and also print it if necessary. Also, you can cancel and modify the dates for Learner's License test through this service.
Learner License Test Procedure in Maharashtra
- The Learner's License test in Maharashtra is an online, computer based test which will test the applicant’s knowledge on road signals, traffic signals and road safety.
- Usually, the candidate has to answer 10 to 20 questions. The questions are general in nature and the customer has to choose the right answer from multiple choices.
- Once the applicant clears the test, Learner's License will offered either on the spot.
How to Apply for Duplicate Learner's License
If the applicant needs a duplicate Learner's License for any purpose or if the original Learner's License is stolen, lost or torn, the Learner's License holder can apply for a duplicate license. Given below is the procedure to apply for a duplicate Learner's License in Maharashtra.
- The Learner's License holder must procure a LLD form and submit a completely filled and signed form at the RTO where the Learner's License was issued.
- The applicant will have to submit 2 passport sized photographs and other necessary documents.
- If the candidate is applying for a duplicate Learner's License because the old Learner's License was lost, then a police report copy must also be submitted.
- The candidate will also be required to furnish information about Learner's License number, date of birth, name and parent’s name.
- The cost for duplicate license is Rs. 50 for ordinary duplicate Learner's License and Rs. 200 for laminated license.
FAQs for Learner's License in Maharashtra
I got a Learner's License in Maharashtra which has now expired. What is the procedure to renew the Learner's License in Maharashtra?
In Maharashtra, there is no option to renew the Learner's License. If your Learner's License has expired, you must apply for a new one again. In Maharashtra, Learner's License has a validity of 6 months.
I have failed the Learner's License test. When can I take a retest?
If you have failed the Learner's License test in Maharashtra, you can apply for a retest after 7 days from the date of test.
When can I apply for a permanent DL after I have obtained my Learner's License in Maharashtra?
Candidates who have obtained their Learner's License can apply for a permanent DL one month after the date when their Learner's License was issued.
I wish to get a Learner's License for transport vehicle. Should I have a permanent DL?
Yes, if you wish to apply for a Learner's License for transport vehicles, you must have held a permanent DL for at least a year before applying.
I have obtained my Learner's License in Mumbai. Is it valid in Delhi?
Yes, the Learner's License and the permanent DL is valid throughout India if it has not expired.