United Bank of India PPF account is a savings account funded by the government. Indian residents regardless of their residences and workplaces can subscribe to this account. It can be opened at the UBI branches by following a few simple steps.
Effective 1 April 2020, United Bank of India PPF Account has merged with Punjab National Bank PPF Account and PNB will become the second largest lender of the country.
If you’re looking for a way to lock in your funds in a secure account for a long period of time and earn a high amount of tax-free interest, look no further than the public provident fund (PPF) account from United Bank of India. PPF is a government scheme introduced in 1968, which enables the creation of a savings-cum-tax-saving bank account, which earns interest over a long period of time.
How to open a United Bank of India PPF account?
A PPF account in the United Bank of India can be opened by following these easy steps:
- Get the account opening form (PPF Form A).
- Get the Pay-In Slip (PPF Form B).
- Get the Nomination Form (PPF Form E). All these forms are available on the United Bank of India website, and from any of the official bank branches.
- Fill in PPF Form A, PPF Form B and PPF Form E with all necessary details.
- Submit the forms, along with all required documents to the bank.
- Once the application is received, reviewed and approved, your PPF account will be open.
Documents required to open PPF account in United Bank of India
To open a PPF account in United Bank of India, you will need the following documents and all forms will need to be duly filled out:
- Account opening form – Form A.
- Pay-In slip – Form B.
- Nomination form – Form E.
- Identity proof – a valid photo-proof of identity. A copy of either your driver’s license, PAN card, passport, etc. will have to be submitted, with the original to verify.
- Address proof – a copy of your telephone bill, utilities bill, ownership papers, etc. will have to be submitted along with the original to verify.
- Passport sized photographs – Two recent passport sized photographs are required.
United Bank of India PPF account opening form
Form A requires you to fill in certain details, as mentioned below:
- Name of the applicant
- Name of the guardian (in case of minors)
- Permanent address and communication address
- United Bank of India savings bank account number
- PAN card details
- Initial contribution
- Debit mandate
- Debit account number
- Standing instructions
- Date of birth of minor
- Applicant’s relationship with minor
- Declaration that no other PPF account is being held, other than on behalf of minors or a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) or an association of persons
- Details of PPF accounts being held in the above cases
And in the case of minors:
United Bank of India PPF interest rate
The interest on PPF accounts from United Bank of India and all other banks is set by the Government of India’s Ministry of Finance. As of FY 2019-20, the PPF interest rate is 7.1% and is compounded annually.
With regard to making deposits, it is advised to do so at any time between the 1st and 5th of every month, as interest is calculated on the balance in the account between the 5th and last day of the month.
United Bank of India PPF calculator
If you want to figure out the balance in your PPF account at maturity, you can use a PPF calculator. A PPF calculator takes into account the following information to calculate your maturity value:
- Rate of deposits - monthly/quarterly/half-yearly/annually
- Amount being deposited
- PPF account tenure
- Interest rate (currently at 7.1%)
How to deposit money in your United Bank of India PPF account?
You will need to fill out and submit Form B, which is a deposit slip. Once you get this form, fill up the following details:
- Branch name
- Name of subscriber
- PPF A/c number
- Amount of deposit
- Denominations of currency or cheque/DD number and date
- Bank/branch on which drawn
- Depositor’s signature
Once you’ve furnished all these details, submit them at the bank branch with the money.
How to transfer your PPF account from the post office to UBI?
If you have an existing PPF account at the post office and wish to transfer it to the United Bank of India – that’s possible by filling out a form and paying a small fee. You’ll need a written application for the transfer and a duly filled out transfer form and submit both of these to the post office to initiate the transfer. Once the post office receives and processes these documents, the bank is notified and a cheque with your entire balance is sent to the bank and the account at the post office is closed.
United Bank of India PPF Rules & Guidelines
- Eligibility: The PPF account is available only to resident Indians who are over the age of 18. Guardians can open PPF accounts for minors.
- Number of Accounts: Only one account is allowed per person. Multiple accounts are not permitted, but one person can manage the accounts of a minor, Hindu Undivided Family and association of persons in addition to his/her own account.
- Duration: The account matures after a 15 year lock-in, and all accumulated funds in the account can be withdrawn upon maturity. Extensions are allowed in blocks of 5 years at a time. Accounts can be kept open after maturity for any period without making deposits, the balance will continue to earn interest.
- Premature closure: The accounts cannot be surrendered or closed in any situation except the death of the account holder, nominees and legal heirs.
- Joint account is not allowed.
- Deposits: The minimum deposit is Rs.500 and the maximum deposit is Rs.1,50,000, every financial year. Deposits can be made in a lump sum, or in (a maximum of 12) instalments over the year.
Features & Benefits of a PPF account from United Bank of India
- Loans: You can avail a loan against your PPF deposit account after the 3rd year of its inception. Loans can be availed up to 25% of the total amount at the end of the 2nd last financial year. For example, if your account has been active since FY 2010-2011 – you will be able to take a loan only from FY 2013-2014, and the maximum amount will be 25% of the balance as of the end of FY 2010-2011.
- Premature withdrawals: Amounts from the account can be withdrawn prematurely, from the end of the 4th financial year from when the account was created. You can only withdraw up to 50% of the balance at the end of the previous year, or at the end of the 4th year, whichever is lower.
- Tax benefits: Funds in the account and interest earned thereon qualify for tax deductions under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Deposits are also exempt from Wealth Tax.
- Account deactivation and reactivation: If an account has no deposits for a considerable period of time, it will be deactivated but not closed. It can be reactivated with a minimum payment of Rs.500 and a penalty of Rs.50 for each defaulted year.
PPF Top Pages
- PPF Online Payment
- Open PPF Account Online
- PPF Account Balance
- PPF Calculator
- PPF Account Opening Form
- PPF Interest rate
- PPF Loan
- PPF Withdrawal Rules
- Check PPF Account Statement Online
- Change Nominee Name in PPF
- Axis Bank PPF Account
- Bank of Baroda PPF Account
- Central Bank of India PPF Account
- Union Bank ppf account
- PPF Deduction
- PPF Closure Form
- PPF claim Status Online
PPF Other Pages
- SBI PPF Account
- ICICI bank PPF
- Bank of India PPF
- Canara Bank PPF
- Andhra Bank PPF
- Vijaya Bank PPF
- Oriental Bank of Commerce PPF
- Bank of Maharashtra PPF
- Dena Bank PPF
- Punjab and Sind Bank PPF
- UCO Bank PPF
- Deposit Limit for PPF
- PPF Account Transfer
- PPF lock in Period
- PPF Acccount for NRI
- PPF Death Claim Form
- Investment on PPF
- PPF Account Banks