BHIM or Bharat Interface for Money, is a complete payment solution app that works on the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) system. BHIM is a digital payment method that allows users to make various transactions such as sending and requesting money with a Virtual Payment Address (VPA) on a real-time basis. Money can be sent and received instantly on all 365 days in a year on a 24/7 basis. The service can also be used on bank holidays. There is no need to provide bank account details such as account number or IFSC code, all transactions can be carried out using a VPA. Customers can directly pay users using their VPA or scan and pay using the QR code option in the BHIM app.
Table of Contents
- Why to use BHIM App
- Setting passcode on the BHIM app
- Adding Bank Accounts
- Set UPI PIN
- How to Download BHIM App?
- How to Create a UPI ID or a VPA?
- How to Transfer Money Through Scan and Pay?
- Features of BHIM App
- Benefits Of BHIM App
- UPI 2.0
- How to Enroll Yourself as a Merchant on UPI
- Transaction Limit and Charges of BHIM
- Supported Mobile Platforms
- How to use BHIM app to pay at a Store
- QR Code for Specific Transaction
- QR Code Linked to a Specific Account
- BHIM UPI Login
- BHIM App Customer Care
- Banks Supporting the BHIM App
- Banks That Support BHIM
- FAQ's of BHIM UPI
The app is available in 13 languages and 12 local languages including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Bengali, Odia, Marathi, among other languages. You can pay any of your friends or relatives using their UPI ID directly and also shop online and pay by using the ‘Pay by UPI/BHIM’ option. Many merchant outlets also accept the BHIM QR or UPI QR code.
Why to use BHIM App
- Send and collect money using UPI.
- Pay bills on merchant websites through UPI.
- Book flight tickets.
- Recharge your mobile.
- Scan and pay using QR code.
- Also send money using account number and IFSC code.
Setting passcode on the BHIM app
- You must set a passcode which will act as the PIN to operate the app. Set the 4-digit PIN number and confirm your PIN input.
- After entering the PIN, you will be logged into the app and can view the app dashboard.
Adding Bank Accounts
- You must add a bank account to link it to the app in order to send and receive funds. You can only link one account at a time in the app.
- Choose your bank from the list provided and select your account which you wish to link.
- You can change your linked bank account in the future by repeating the aforementioned steps.
Set UPI PIN
You must set up your UPI PIN as a final step for authenticating payments. The UPI PIN is similar to MPIN used in other UPI-based apps. Here’s how to set up your UPI PIN.
- Click on the main menu of the app and got to Bank Accounts.
- Select ‘Set UPI PIN for your linked account.
- If you have set up your UPI Pin before, the app will let you know the status. In case you haven’t, you will need to provide the last 6 digits of your debit card and also its expiry date.
- Once you have provided the debit card details, you will receive an SMS with the OTP for authenticating the UPI reset request.
- If you wish to change the UPI PIN, all you have to do is enter the existing PIN once and the new PIN twice.
How to Download BHIM App?
The app can be downloaded on both Android and Apple phones. To download the app on your Android phone go to Google Play Store and to download the app on your Apple phone go to Apple App Store.
How to register and use BHIM app: Step-by-step guide
If you are a first-time user, here is how you can use the BHIM app:
- Step 1: Download the app on your phone and open it
- Step 2: Choose the language of your preference
- Step 3: Choose the registered mobile number that is linked to your bank account to start the verification process. Proceed to click ‘Next To complete the verification process.
- Step 4: Select a 4-digit password and link your bank account with the app. To do this choose the name of your bank.
- Step 5: You have now successfully registered your BHIM account
Once you have registered, you can send or receive payments. To send payments you can simply enter the mobile number or payment address of the receiver. You can also send money to banks that do not support UPI as well. You can do so using the MMID or IFSC code.
To make payments to any merchant, you can use the ‘Scan and Pay’ option to scan their QR code and make the payment.
If UPI is not activated for your bank account, then you will be asked to enter the expiry date and six digits of your debit card number.
How to Create a UPI ID or a VPA?
A default UPI ID or VPA will be allotted to users after registering on the BHIM app. This process happens by default. In case you want to add another VPA, all you have to do is go to the profile section.
How to send money using BHIM app through UPI
Step 1: Log in to the app and click on the ‘Send’ icon
Step 2: Choose the VPA of the payee/beneficiary, enter the amount, remarks and proceed to send the money
Step 3: Key in your UPI PIN to authenticate and successfully send money
How to receive/request money using BHIM app
Step 1: Log in to the app and click on the ‘Receive’ icon
Step 2: Choose the VPA of the person from whom you want to receive money from along with the transaction amount. Proceed to click submit
Step 3: The remitter will receive a notification and can either accept or reject the request
How to Transfer Money Through ‘Scan and Pay’?
Individuals can also choose to make transfers through the ‘Scan & Pay’ option in the BHIM app. This process uses a QR code, which is to be scanned to authorise the transaction.
Individuals who wish to transfer/receive money through this method can use the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the ‘Profile’ tab on the home screen.
- Select the ‘QR code’ which is assigned to your phone/the phone of the recipient.
- Click on the ‘Scan & Pay’ option.
- Scan the QR code and enter the amount to be transferred.
- You will receive an acknowledgement once the payment goes through.
The BHIM app can be used to transfer money to any individual or merchant who has the app installed, and with over 30 banks accessible through the app, it is fast becoming the preferred means of safe and hassle-free money transfers.
Features of BHIM App:
- Instant money transfer: With the BHIM app, money can be sent on a real-time basis at anytime and from anywhere. Also, there is no cumbersome process of adding beneficiary and filling up account details such as account number and IFSC code.
- No bank holidays: The best part about this app is that you can send and receive money even on bank holidays and weekends.
- Split bill with friends: The app also allows users to split bills with multiple users.
- Payment reminders: Another feature of this app is the facility to schedule payment reminders.
Benefits Of BHIM App
- Transactions are simple, fast, and secure
- No additional charges
- The app is free for download
- Payments can be made to non-UPI banks as well
- The app works 24/7
Available in 13 languages including English, Bangla, Hindi, and Gujrati.
UPI 2.0 saw its inception in August 2018. This is the second and latest version of the popular fund transfer platform in India. It has become popular for superseding the first version which had been created for facilitating peer-to-peer and easy transactions of funds.
Other than savings accounts and current accounts, you can now link your overdraft account to UPI as well. You can now make its transaction immediately and its benefits associated with your overdraft account will be available to you. The UPI 2.0 will be an additional digital channel for you to get access an overdraft account.
How to Enroll Yourself as a Merchant on UPI
- Download the BHIM Aadhaar Baroda Pay Android App
- Fill the application form and sign the merchant agreement
- The bank will carry out the on-boarding registration process and agreement through its regions/zones
Transaction Limit and Charges of BHIM
You can make a transaction where the maximum amount is Rs.10,000. The maximum amount of money you can transfer within 24 hours is Rs.20,000. There are now charges for making a transaction via the BHIM UPI app.
Supported Mobile Platforms
As of now, the BHIM app is the one and only app that is available under UPI. This is suitable for all Google Android and Apple iOS smartphones.
How to use BHIM app to pay at a Store
The BHIM app comes with a QR code and as a BHIM app user, you can generate a unique QR code on your phone to get payments from others. Now, there are two kinds of QR codes-a QR Code for specific transaction and also a QR code which is linked to the specific account.
QR Code for Specific Transaction
Your QR code can be generated via the BHIM UPI App for requesting any payment from a BHIM app user. The payee should scan the unique QR Code for seeing the amount payable and can make the payment. As a sender, you do not have to put in the amount payable as the details of the amount will be encrypted and also included in the QR code.
QR Code Linked to a Specific Account
You can generate your own unique QR code for receiving payments to the account linked with the app. Other payments users can scan the unique code, and then enter the amount payable. The person can then transfer the money to your account.
BHIM UPI Login
- Step 1: Open the BHIM app, and choose your language
- Step 2: Type in your mobile number registered with the bank
- Step 3: Set your 4-digit password
- Step 4: Link your bank account
- Step 5: Set up your UPI PIN by typing in the last 6 digits of your debit card
- Step 6: Once the PIN has been set up, the account will be created
BHIM App Customer Care
You can contact the toll-free customer care number, 1800-120-1740.
Banks Supporting the BHIM App
Following the launch of the BHIM app, several leading banks lost no time in supporting this new system of payments in order to provide added convenience to their customers.
The Following list of banks support the BHIM UPI Payment Service
|BHIM App Allowed Banks|
|ICICI Bank||Andhra Bank|
|IndusInd Bank||Bank of Maharashtra|
|Axis Bank||United Bank of India|
|State Bank of India||Bank of Baroda|
|HDFC Bank||Union Bank of India|
|Standard Chartered Bank||Catholic Syrian Bank|
|Punjab National Bank||RBL Bank|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||Central Bank of India|
|Vijaya Bank||Oriental Bank of Commerce|
|Allahabad Bank||DCB Bank|
|South Indian Bank||Karnataka Bank|
|Canara Bank||Dena Bank|
|Syndicate Bank||Indian Overseas Bank|
|Federal Bank||Indian Bank|
|Karur Vysya Bank||IDFC Bank and IDBI Bank.|
Check IFSC Code for Top Banks:
|State Bank of India IFSC Code||HDFC Bank IFSC Code||Indian Bank IFSC Code|
|Axis bank IFSC Code||Canara bank IFSC Code||ICICI Bank IFSC Code|
Banks That Support BHIM:
- Andhra Bank
- Allahabad Bank
- Axis Bank
- Bank of India
- Bank of Baroda
- Canara Bank
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Catholic Syrian Bank
- DCB Bank
- Central Bank of India
- Punjab National Bank
- Dena Bank
- HDFC Bank
- Federal Bank
- IDBI Bank
- ICICI Bank
- IDFC Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Indian Bank
- Karnataka Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Karur Vyasa Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- South Indian Bank
- RBL Bank
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- State Bank of India
- Union Bank of India
- UCO Bank
- United Bank of India
- Yes Bank Ltd
- Vijaya Bank
FAQ's of BHIM UPI
- Is BHIM app a mobile wallet?
- What is UPI?
- Can I use BHIM if my bank has not gone live with UPI?
- What is a VPA?
- Can BHIM be used in foreign countries?
- Are there any transaction charges for using BHIM?
- Can i use BHIM if I do not have access to internet?
- What can I do if the money has not been sent but my bank account has been debited?
- If I send money to the wrong person, is it possible to cancel the transaction?
Ans: No, the BHIM app is not a mobile or digital wallet. It is a type of payment application through which you can make payments using a VPA.
Ans: UPI is nothing but a type of payment method, through which transactions can be processed using a VPA. Unlike, NEFT or RTGS, there is no need for bank account details or IFSC code when it comes to UPI.
Ans: No, unfortunately, this will not be possible.
Ans: A Virtual Payment Address (VPA) is like an email id that helps identify users using this app. It is used to send and collect money.
Ans: BHIM can be used if you are travelling abroad but only to send and receive money from Indian accounts.
Ans: No. It is a completely free service.
Ans: Yes. In such a case use the *99# service to use the app without an active internet connection.
Ans: In such a case, the transaction might have failed due to some error. The best thing to do is to report the issue on the BHIM app. The money will be credited back to your bank account in around 3 working days.
Ans: BHIM allows instant money transfers and hence once a transaction has been successfully processed, it is not possible to reverse it at any point of time. However, you can try to raise a collect request, mentioning that the money was sent by mistake.
Other IFSC Related Article
|NEFT Timing||Digital Wallet||Mobile Wallet|
|SBI UPI||Demand Draft|
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.