The Transport Department of Manipur is under the aegis of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and is responsible for enforcing all the laws under it in the state of Manipur. The state has a number of Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) from which you can obtain your vehicle’s registration certificate. Driving a vehicle that is unregistered is a criminal offence. It is important to get the vehicle registered as soon as it is purchased. Once obtained, the registration number or certificate remains unchanged even if the vehicle is sold.
Responsibilities of RTO Offices in Manipur
The following are the responsibilities of the RTO in Manipur:
- Application for learner’s licence and driving licence has to be done through the RTO
- The learner’s licence online test and the permanent driving licence driving are conducted by the RTO
- International driving permits are issued by the RTO
- Registration certificates are issued to vehicle owners by the RTO
- Temporary registration certificate are issued by the RTO when the vehicle is purchased
- Permanent registrations are issued by the RTO
- Some of the road taxes are collected by the RTO from vehicle owners
- Vehicle fitness certificates are issued by the RTO to certify the fitness of the vehicle for roads
- No-Objection Certificates are issued by the RTO when the owner of a vehicle relocates to another state
- Road permits are issued to the vehicle owners if they need to travel to other states for commercial purposes
- Road safety and traffic rules and regulations are enforced by the RTO
- Pollution control steps are implemented by the RTO
- Pollution under Control Certificate are issued by the RTO
Identifying the Regional Transport Office
To register your vehicle, all you need to do is visit the RTO that is nearest to your residential address if the vehicle is for a business purpose, then visit the RTO nearest to the location of your business. In a registration number, the first four alphanumeric digits are that of the RTO, the first two digits are for the state, and the next two digits are for the RTO.
List of Regional Transport Offices in Manipur
The state of Manipur has a total of seven RTOs. Given below is the full list of those RTOs with their addresses, locations, and codes.
Contact Details of Manipur RTO:
District Transport Office Imphal East
Manipur RTO Locations and Codes
|RTO Locations||RTO Code||RTO Address|
|Imphal West||MN01||Imphal West , Manipur - 795001|
|Churachandpur||MN02||Churachandpur, Manipur - 795128|
|Kangpokpi||MN03||Kangpokpi, Senapati, Manipur - 795129|
|Thoubal||MN04||Thoubal, Manipur - 795138|
|Bishnupur||MN05||Bishnupur, Manipur - 795133|
|Imphal East||MN06||Imphal East, Manipur|
|Ukhrul||MN07||Ukhrul, Manipur - 795142|
Importance of Vehicle Registration in RTO Manipur
Under the Motor Vehicles Act, it is mandatory to register your vehicle, pending which you will have to pay a fine or penalty. It is illegal to drive an unregistered vehicle on the roads of Manipur. Doing so will attract a penalty.
Types of Vehicle Registration in Manipur
Given below are the various types of vehicle registration available in Manipur RTOs:
- Temporary registration: A vehicle has a temporary registration certificate from the vehicle dealer. It is mandatory to have a temporary registration before you obtain a permanent registration. A temporary registration is only valid for a period of 7 days. The maximum that it can be extended to is one month. It is important to apply for a permanent registration before the validity of the temporary registration expires.
- Permanent Registration: Permanent registration has to be applied for at the RTO closest to your place of residence. If the vehicle is used for commercial purposes, the registration should be applied for at the RTO closest to the location of the business. After the expiry of the permanent registration, the vehicle owner should apply for permanent registration again.
Process of Vehicle Registration in Manipur
Vehicle dealers register the new vehicle temporarily for a period of time that is either 7 days or 30 days. Temporary registration can also be done by the individual themselves through the offline or online mode of the Parivahan Sewa in Manipur. To complete the application either online or in person at the RTO, you should do the following:
- Submit the duly filled in application form
- Attach the necessary documents
- Pay the required fees
- After document and vehicle verification, the registration number is assigned to the vehicle
Documents Required for Manipur RTO Registration of Vehicle
These are the documents required to apply for a registration certificate for your vehicle in Manipur:
- Form 20 application form
- Form 21 sales certificate issued by the vehicle dealer
- Proof of identity of the owner of the vehicle which can be either passport, voter ID, Aadhaar card, PAN card, etc.
- Driving license of the vehicle owner
- Address proof of the vehicle owner which can be either Aadhaar card, voter ID, rental agreement (if any), account statement from a nationalised bank, etc.
- Form 34 with details of loan hypothecation if any
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate of the vehicle
- Valid insurance certificate obtained from the vehicle dealer at the time of purchase
- Original sales invoice of the vehicle issued by the dealer
- Temporary registration number
- Sales tax clearance certificate if vehicle was bought and registered in two different states
- If vehicle was bought from another state and registered in Manipur, a No Objection Certificate from the concerned RTO
- 3 passport-size photographs of the vehicle owner
Process of Vehicle registration if bought outside Manipur
If the vehicle owner relocates to another state and takes along their vehicle, or if it is sold into another state, it has to be registered again in the state where the vehicle owner shifted to. The registration from the original RTO will have to be foregone. This is also the same if the vehicle was brought in from another state. Refunds on road tax payment from the home state can also be availed if the vehicle is being transferred from one state to another. A new permanent registration number is issued to the vehicle within 15 to 20 days of processing.
Documents For Registration of Out-of-State Vehicles in Manipur:
These are the documents required:
- No objection certificate issued by the original RTO (this should be in Form 28)
- Duly filled application form for registration in Manipur (this should be in Form 20)
- Proof of identity of the new owner
- Proof of address if the owner is relocating to another state
- Valid insurance certificate for the vehicle
- Original permanent registration certificate
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
- Proof of road tax payment
- If vehicle is sold, ownership of vehicle
Process of Transfer of Ownership of Vehicle in Manipur
Vehicle registration should be done when the vehicle is sold to another person. The registration should be at the concerned RTO.
The concerned RTO officials will verify the documents submitted. The RTO database will be updated with the transfer of ownership. The vehicle’s buyer will receive the updated permanent registration certificate as well as registration number of the vehicle along with information about the new ownership.
Documents required for transfer of ownership application in Manipur RTO
These are the documents required:
- For vehicle’s sale to the new owner: Form 29
- Application for transfer of ownership: Form 30
- Buyer’s valid proof of identity
- Buyer’s valid proof of address
- Affidavit for transfer of ownership
- Valid insurance certificate of the vehicle
- Original permanent registration certificate of the vehicle
- Pollution Under Control Certificate of the vehicle
- Proof of paid road taxes
- Applicable fees
- Passport-size photographs
FAQs on How to Register a Vehicle in Manipur RTO
What is the validity of a permanent registration certificate?
The validity of a permanent registration certificate is for 15 years.
Is Manipur RTO allow online vehicle registration?
Yes, online vehicle registration can be done in Manipur RTOs on the website portal called Vahan.
Is there a fee for the temporary registration of a vehicle in Manipur if it is done by the vehicle dealer?
Temporary registration done by a vehicle dealer is offered with a nominal fee.
Can I register in any RTO in Manipur?
Vehicle registration is to be done at the RTO in Manipur that is closest to your place of residence or business (for vehicles that were bought on business purpose).
Should I keep the original registration certificate of my vehicle in Manipur in the car itself or is a photocopy sufficient?
It is mandatory to keep the original registration certificate in your vehicle at all times as it is a prosecutable offence to not have them in the vehicle. You can keep photocopies of the certificate at your home.