A learner's license is an official document that authorises its holder to learn driving under the supervision of a permanent driving permit holder. Valid only for a period of six months, the learner’s licence cannot be extended, except when the licence holder is ill and unable to apply for permanent licence.
Bihar Motor Vehicle Department
The Bihar Motor Vehicle Department not only ensures a smooth road transport mechanism but also issues driving licences (learner’s and permanent) in the state. In the 57 RTOs across Bihar, the Motor Vehicles Acts and Rules is enforced in the state by RTO personnel. The additional RTO issues learner’s license in three days after the applicant has cleared the test.
Requirements for Learner’s License in Bihar
The requirements for a learner’s license in the state of Bihar are listed below:
|Non-transport vehicle||Transport (commercial vehicle)|
Applying for Learner’s Licence
To apply for a learner’s license, an applicant can visit the RTO in person and fill in the requisite forms. Another method is the official website of Bihar Motor Vehicle Department. The steps for online application of learner’s permit are mentioned as under:
- On the homepage, click on ‘Get New Learner License Appointment’. A form will be generated, wherein the applicant has to fill in the required details such as name, age, address, and date of application, along with class of vehicle and jurisdictional RTO, that is nearest to the applicant.
- The time and date of the test from the slots available should be chosen. After this, click on ‘Make Payment’, fill in net banking details such as customer ID and password and click on ‘Pay’.
- Visit the nearest RTO in the jurisdiction with the application receipt, Form No. 2, and original & attested photocopies of required documents and give the test at the allotted time.
The original documents will be verified by the RTO officials and returned to the applicant. An online computer test to check the applicant’s competency and knowledge about traffic rules and regulations will be held. On clearing the test, the applicant will be issued a learner’s license.
Documents for Learner's Licence
The documents required for obtaining a learner’s licence are listed below:
- Application in Form-2
- Medical Certificate Form1-A
- Self declaration of physical fitness in Form-1
- Three passport size photographs
- Proof of address (any one of the following)
- Aadhaar card
- Passport, Voter’s ID, Ration card
- CGHS card
- Nationalized bank passbook
- House tax mutation order
- Water or Electricity bill
- Life insurance policy
- Registered sale deed
- Proof of age (any one of the following)
- School leaving certificate
- Birth certificate
- Voter’s ID
A learner’s license is valid for only six months and the license holder is expected to learn driving within the stipulated period. After this, he can apply for a permanent driving permit within 3 months of receiving the learner’s license. It is also important to note that if the applicant fails the learner’s licence test, he will be called 7 days later to the RTO for a retest.