According to the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, it is essential to hold a valid driving licence to drive a vehicle in the country. In Tripura, the Regional Transport Authority is responsible for issuing learner’s and permanent driving licences. Here are the details about how to apply for a permanent driving licence, renew the licence and apply for an international licence.
Types of Driving Licences in Tripura
- Medium Goods Vehicles.
- Geared motorcycles.
- Non-geared motorcycles.
- HGV or Heavy Goods Vehicles.
- HPV or Heavy Passenger Vehicles.
- MPV or Medium Passenger Vehicles.
- Invalid Carriage.
- LMV or Light Motor Vehicles.
- Motor vehicles with specific descriptions.
Eligibility Criteria for a Driving Licence in Tripura
- You must be at least 20 years old to apply for a commercial vehicle learner’s licence.
- For a Light Motor Vehicle learner’s licence, you must be 18 years old.
- At 16 years old, you can apply for a learner’s licence for a Light Motor Vehicle below 50 cc.
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Tripura
- Duly filled Form 4 for a private driving licence.
- Form 5 for a commercial driver’s licence.
- Duly filled Form 1 and Form 1A.
- Original and valid learner’s licence.
- Application fee of Rs.200
- Proof of age – Aadhaar card, Voter ID, Passport, etc.
- Proof of address – Passport, Ration Card, Aadhaar card.
Process to Apply for Driving Licence in Tripura
You can apply for a driving licence in Tripura either online or offline.
- Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Click on ‘Online Services’ and choose ‘Driving Licence Related Services’ from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the name of the state as Tripura.
- Click on the ‘Apply Online’ option and select ‘New Driving Licence’.
- Once done, click on ‘Continue’.
- Fill in the details and upload the required documents.
- Once done, choose your slot for your driving licence test.
- After choosing a slot, pay the application fee of Rs.200.
- An application number will be sent to you that will be verified at the RTO.
- Visit the nearest RTO office.
- Fill the application form at the RTO office and attach the required documents along with the form.
- Once done, pay the application fee and book a slot for the driving test.
Procedure to Apply for a Duplicate Driver’s Licence in Tripura
If your original driver’s licence is stolen or damaged, you can apply for a duplicate driver’s licence as well.
- You can visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- The form for the duplicate licence can be filled online along with uploading and submitting the documents required.
- You will then have to pay a nominal fee for the duplicate driver’s licence.
- Once the fee is paid, an application number will be sent that will have to be shown to the RTO.
- You will have to present the original documents along with the application number.
- Once the documents are verified, a duplicate driver’s licence will be sent to you.
You can also visit the nearest RTO and collect the form for a duplicate driving licence if you are not able to download the form via the website. In this case, the form and the documents will have to be submitted to the RTO office directly.
- Application form
- Original driving licence details
- 3 passport size photographs
- Copy of FIR, in case of theft
- Proof of age and address
Renewing Driving Licence in Tripura
For private vehicles, driving licences are valid for a period of 20 years or till the age of 50. For commercial vehicles, the validity for a licence is 3 years. If you wish to renew your driver’s licence, you can do the following:
- You can either visit https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ or visit your nearest RTO.
- Download the form, fill it and submit it along with the required documents.
- Once verified, a renewed licence will be sent to your registered address.
- Driving licence
- Application Form 2
- Passport size photographs
- Form 1 and Form 1A
- Application fee of Rs.500
- Attested copy of passport and visa
- Documents for age and address proof.
Applying for an International Driving Licence in Tripura
You can also apply for an international driving licence in Tripura by following the procedure given below:
- Visit the Parivahan website or you can also visit the nearest RTO office.
- You can fill the form and attach the required documents to be submitted to the RTO.
- Once done, you will have to pay a fee.
- After the verification process is done, an international driving licence will be sent to your address.
- A valid passport and visa
- Valid driving license
- Application form 4A
- Medical certificate
- 3 passport size photographs
- Application fee
FAQs Driving Licences in Tripura
What is the validity of the driver’s licence in Tripura?
The driving licence in Tripura is valid for 20 years for private vehicles and 3 years for commercial vehicles.
Will I be required to take the driving test for renewing my driving license?
No, for renewal of your driving licence, you will need to submit the form along with the required documents and pay a nominal fee.
By when can I expect my driving licence to reach my address?
It can take between 7 – 14 working days for the driving licence to reach your registered address.