The Commissionerate of Transport, Government of Gujarat is responsible for ensuring an efficient public transportation system, issuance of computerized learner's licence and 4 KB SCOSTA-based smart-card driving licence in the state of Gujarat.
Overview of DL in Gujarat
The procedures related to acquiring a new driving license may vary for renewal of driving license or addition of another category in the existing driving license. The various categories are listed below:
- Acquiring a new driving license
- Change in particulars in driving license/acquiring a duplicate driving license
- Additional category in a driving license
- International driving license
- Renewal of driving license
Acquiring a New Driving License in Gujarat
An applicant who wishes to acquire a driving license in Gujarat has to apply in the prescribed form as per regulations of the government of Gujarat. Applicants have to clear both computer and driving tests to acquire a license.
Eligibility criteria for driving licence in Gujarat
The eligibility criteria for acquiring a new driving license in Gujarat is listed in the table below:
|Minimum Age (Completed)||Vehicle Particulars||Additional Requirements|
|16 years||Two wheelers without gear||-|
|18 years||Two wheelers with gear, tractor, car and non-transport vehicles||-|
|20 years||Transport vehicles||
Documentation required for DL in Gujarat
The documents required for acquiring a new driving license in Gujarat are listed in the table below:
|Type of documents||Particulars|
Procedure for acquiring a new driving license in Gujarat
An applicant should acquire a learning license to be eligible to apply for a new driving license. An applicant should fill out form No.2/4 along with the medical certificate in form No.1 (A). If an applicant wishes to acquire a driving license for any goods vehicle, he should log on to www.sarathi.nic.in.
The procedure for obtaining a driving license is as follows:
- A learning license is valid for six months
- An applicant may appear for a driving test after 30 days of receiving the learning license
- Applicants should drive the same kind of vehicle at the test as mentioned in the application form
- An applicant can book an appointment for driving test online at http://drivingtesttrack.in/getappointment.htm. An applicant has to enter his learning license number and date of birth to get an appointment.
Fee structure of DL in Gujarat
The government of Gujarat charges Rs.200 for a smart card driving license. An additional Rs.50 is charged depending on the category of vehicle.
Change in Particulars in a Driving License and Acquiring a Duplicate Driving License
In order to make any changes in a driving license, an applicant should fill out form L.L.D mentioning all details of the original driving license. Applicants should pay Rs.200 along with the application. If an applicant does not remember the number of his original smart card, he can request for the same in an application with details of his address, name and date of birth. A fee of Rs.25 should be paid for the same. If an applicant wishes to change specific particulars in his driving license such as name and address, he can request for the same in an application along with a fee of Rs.200 and a NOC (no objection certificate) from the licensing authority.
Additional Category in a Driving License
There are various categories which can be added in a driving license as listed below:
- Transport vehicle in L.M.V. license
- Hazardous goods in transport driving license
- Authorization for transport vehicle
- Any other additional category for two wheelers
- Applicants should be aged 20 years or above, passed standard 8 and have at least one year of experience driving any light motor vehicle
- Form no.8 should be filled out
- Original driving license should be submitted
- Certificate of training in form No.5 should be submitted
- Rs.200 should be paid for a smart card
- An applicant should specify his particulars in an application
- A certificate of training (three days) from any state/central government centre should be submitted
- Rs.50 should be paid as fees
- The endorsement is valid for one year
- An application should be submitted in form T.V.A
- A certificate of good conduct from a police station should be submitted
- A training certificate should be be submitted in form no.5
- Rs.50 should be paid as fees
- An application request should be submitted in form-8
- Original driving license should be attached
- Rs.200 should be paid for a smart card driving license
- Applicant may take the driving test 30 days after receiving the learner’s license.
International Driving License
- International driving license is issued to Indian citizens who report to the RTO in person
- Form 4 (A) and medical certificate in Form – 1 (A) should be filled out
- Rs.500 should be paid as fees
- Copies of visa, passport, 3 passport-size photographs and current driving license should be submitted
- A driving permit is issued for one year or until the expiry of current driving license, whichever is earlier
- Duplicate international driving permit is not renewed after expiry
- The permit is delivered to an applicant in person
Renewal of Driving License
- A 30-day grace period is allowed for the renewal of a driving license
- In case an individual applies for renewal of license before 5 years of the expiry date, he need not take a test. The license, however, stands valid from the date of renewal
- An application in form no. 9 should be filled out
- Original driving license should be submitted
- In case an applicant is aged 50 years or is applying for a renewal of license (transport), a medical certificate in form 1A should be submitted
- Rs.50 in addition to Rs.200 as a smart card fee should be paid. For any delay, Rs.50 has to be paid
- NOC (No Objection Certificate) of the concerned R.T.O. should be submitted
How to Get a Driving License in Gujarat FAQs
Can I apply for an international driving license in Gujarat after getting my learner's licence?
You can apply for an international driving licence only if you have a permanent driving licence.
Is a smart card driving licence mandatory to get?
Most states in India offer the driving licence in the smart card format when you apply for a new licence or renew your old one. A smart card driving licence is not mandatory even though it is more durable than a paper version of the driving licence.
Where can I obtain the application forms for a driving licence in Gujarat?
You can obtain the application forms for a driving licence in Gujarat by visiting your RTO. You can also download the application form from the official website of the transport department of the Gujarat state government.
After how many years should the driving licence be renewed for a person who is above 50 years of age in Gujarat?
For a person above the age of 50, the driving licence should be renewed every 5 years in Gujarat.
After how many days should I apply for a permanent driving licence in Gujarat after obtaining my learner's licence?
You are supposed to obtain a permanent driving licence within a maximum of 180 days and a minimum of 30 days after receiving your learner's licence.
What is the procedure to check the status of the DL?
In case you are applying for a DL in Gujarat, you can check the status on sarathi.nic.in. You can also visit the nearest RTO to check the status of the DL.
How long is a learner’s license valid for in Gujarat?
A learner’s license is valid for 6 months from the date it has been issued in Gujarat.
How long is the DL valid for in Gujarat?
A DL is valid for 20 years or till you attain the age of 50 years in Gujarat. In the case of transport vehicles, the DL is valid for 3 years.
What is the fee that must be paid to apply for a DL in Gujarat?
A fee of Rs.200 must be paid in order to obtain a DL in Gujarat. An additional fee of Rs.50 must be paid to take the driving test.
How long does it take to receive the DL?
It may take up to 6 weeks from the date you pass to test to receive the DL.