Every driver in India needs to have a driving licence. Without this document you are not allowed to drive in the country. If you lose your driving license, you will have to apply for a duplicate one to be able to drive.
Things to Do if You Lost Your Driving Licence:
- Go to the police station that has jurisdiction over the area where your driving licence lost.
- Lodge a complaint and make sure you get a copy of the First Information Report (FIR).
- Visit the Notary office to get an affidavit on a stamped paper. The affidavit will act as a proof that you took an oath before the concerned officer (executive magistrate/notary public/first class judicial magistrate) that your license is lost.
You will have to pay a small fee for the notary service and the stamped paper.
Duplicate driving licence application process:
- Go to the RTO. Make sure that you take 3 passport-sized photos, copy of the F.I.R and the affidavit with you.
- Go to the enquiry counter at the RTO and collect the application form for a duplicate license.
- Complete the application form and submit it at the Driving License Branch along with the other documents.
- After this, you will have to go through the Biometrics section. Here, your photo will be clicked and thumbprint will be taken.
- Your duplicate driving licence will be delivered within the time period stated by the Asst. RTO officer.
You will have to pay a certain amount of fee for the new DL Book or the Smart Card.
Once you get your new driving license, make a laminated copy of it. If you have a duplicate copy of your license, it will be easy for the RTO to track your details using your DL number.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a duplicate driving licence?
A duplicate driving licence is the copy of the original driving licence which is issued in case of loss of the latter. An original licence might be misplaced, lost, stolen, or destroyed. In this case, the licence holder will be required to apply for a duplicate driving licence.
What are the documents which are needed to apply for a duplicate driving licence?
There are a handful of documents which are required to be submitted to the RTO for the application of a duplicate driving licence. These include the likes of birth certificate, PAN card, passport, etc. for age proof, rental agreement, Aadhar card, utility bills, passport, LIC policy bond, etc. for address proof, and an application form, copy of the original licence (in case of torn or destroyed licence), passport sized photos, proof of age, proof of address, attested copy of the original licence (in case of loss of the driving licence), and details of the driving licence.
What can I do if I lose my learner’s driving licence?
You can apply for a duplicate learner’s driving licence if you lose the original one.
Do I have to appear for a driving test to get a duplicate driving licence?
No, you do not have to appear for any driving test to get your duplicate driving licence isuued.
Can I apply for a permanent driving licence if I lose my learner’s driving licence?
No, you can apply for a duplicate driving licence only if you already hold a permanent driving licence tagged to you. You cannot apply for a permanent driving licence if you lose your learner’s driving licence.
Can I apply for a duplicate driving licence at any RTO across the country?
No, you can apply for your duplicate driving licence only at the RTO which had originally issued the licence. In case of loss of a driving licence outside the geographical area, you will have to apply for a fresh driving licence at the local RTO or go back to the issuing RTO and apply for the duplicate driving licence.