The Regional Transport Office (RTO) in Mumbai runs under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transport of Maharashtra and operates under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988. There are many RTOs in Mumbai, according to the different zones within the city. Knowing the address of the RTO offices makes it easier to identify the RTO that is nearest to you, making it easier and faster to get your vehicle-related transactions completed on time, whether it is a driving license or vehicle registration.
|RTO Region||RTO Code||Office Address||Office Timings||Phone Numbers|
|Tardeo RTO Office - South Mumbai||MH-01||Old Bodyguard Lane, Tulsiwadi, Tardeo, Mumbai-400034||10AM - 5PM||91-22-24932337, 91-22-24944601, 91-22-24944602|
|Andheri RTO Office - Western Suburb Mumbai||MH-02||Regional Transport Office, D/111, Ambivali Village, Versova Road, Near Manish Nagar, Andheri (West) Mumbai-400053||10AM - 5PM||91-22-6362252, 91-22-26366957, 91-22-26319821, 91-22-26323315|
|Worli Deputy RTO Office - South Mumbai||MH-03||25/Sir Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Mumbai-400025||10AM - 5PM||91-22-24935857 Old Phone Numbers: 22-25285202, 22-24930299, 22-24349980, 22-25298686|
|Wadala RTO Office - Harbour Mumbai East||MH-03||B/2, 3rd Floor, Wadala Truck Terminal, Wadala Road, Mumbai-400037||10AM - 5PM||22-24036221, 22-24036479|
|Dahisar Deputy RTO Office - Western Suburb||MH-47||Dy. Regional Transport Officer, Wing-A Link Rd, Kandarpada Anand Park, Dahisar West, Near Borivali, Mumbai -400068||10AM - 5PM||22-26366957, 22-26362252, 22-26319821, 22-26323315|
Functions of RTO Offices in Mumbai
The primary function of the RTO is to ensure that all the rules and regulations which are under the Motor Vehicle Act are followed. Given below are some of the functions of the Mumbai RTO:
- Collection of road taxes and IMV fees
- Issuing and renewing driving licences
- Issuing transport permits, registration services, NOC, etc
- The department issues over 31 different kinds of licence and permits
- Online application for driving licence from the government portal – Sarathi Portal, is also valid here
Types of Vehicle Registration
There are two types of vehicle registrations:
Temporary Vehicle Registration: When a new vehicle is purchased, the vehicle dealer will issue this, which is valid for up to one month from the date of delivery.
Permanent Vehicle Registration: This should be applied for as soon as or before the temporary vehicle registration expires.
Types of Driving Licences issued in RTO Mumbai
The following are the licenses that applicants above the age of 18 can apply for:
- Two-wheeler without gear: Known as MCWOG Class (Motor Cycle without Gear) for two-wheelers which don’t have gears, like scooters
- Two-wheeler with gear: Known as MCWG class (Motor Cycle with Gear) for scooters and bikes which have gear
- LMVs: For Light Motor Vehicle. This includes cars, three-wheelers, jeeps, vans, etc.
- Medium/Heavy Commercial vehicles: For commercially used vehicles which are medium or heavy passenger or goods, such as trucks, buses, or trailers
For those 16 years of age or above, the following license can be applied for:
Motorcycle with an engine capacity of upto 50cc
Taxi and autorickshaw drivers do not require separate commercial driving licences as their LMV licence is mandated by law to be sufficient for the purpose.