A person holding a learner’s licence is eligible for driving a vehicle in the presence of a permanent driving licence holder. The Zonal Transport Office of Uttar Pradesh regulates the issuance of licences to individuals after testing them for competency.
Types of Learner’s Licence in Uttar Pradesh
A Learners Licence is a legal document that allows an individual to drive either a non-transport vehicle or commercial vehicle. An experienced driver has to be there when the learner operates the vehicle. In case of commercial vehicles, the applicant has to enroll at a motor driving school to learn professional driving. In order to be eligible for a learner’s licence, the applicant should be at least 16 years old (for non transport vehicle) or 20 years old (for commercial vehicles).
- Non-Transport Vehicle: The minimum age for application of learner’s licence is 16 years. The applicant, is allowed to drive 60 cc non geared motorcycle. For driving a bike with gear or a light motor vehicle, the eligibility age is 18 years.
- Transport Vehicle: Applicants opting for medium or heavy goods vehicle or passenger vehicle learner’s licence should hold a driving licence for light motor vehicle. He should also have a one-year experience of driving the vehicle.
- Age proof (birth certificate, school certificate)
- Three recent passport size photos
- Proof of residence (Aadhaar card, passport, utility bills)
- Application in Form No.2
- Medical certificate in Form No.1-A
How to Apply for Learner’s Licence in Uttar Pradesh
The Zonal Transport Department in Uttar Pradesh issues licences, both learner’s and permanent, to those who apply for the same. The licence can be applied through two means - online and offline. The fees charged for the learner’s licence is Rs.30 for each category of vehicle. Individuals can apply for the permit through these steps:
Individuals can apply for the driving permit by visiting any of the RTOs in Uttar Pradesh, which is nearest to them. The form can be collected at the office itself, which has to be duly filled, and relevant documents have to be attached. Once the application has been verified and processed, an acknowledgment will be sent to the applicant. After the eligibility is confirmed, the applicant will be called for a test. The driving test is normally conducted on a first come first serve basis.
- Visit the official website of the Uttar Pradesh Regional Transport Office to apply for learner's driving licence.
- Select the appropriate form under ‘Driving Licence’ and slots. Download the form and fill in the correct details. Once all the details have been duly entered, the relevant documents have to be uploaded, after which the form can be submitted.
- The fees can be paid through net banking, credit or debit card. An acknowledgment will be generated with an application number. The applicant will also be notified about the status.
FAQs on Learners Licence in Uttar Pradesh
What is the validity of a learner’s licence?
The learner’s driving permit comes with a validity of 6 months
Can I use my learner’s licence till I apply for a permanent driving licence?
Yes you can use the learner’s permit for a period of 6 months, after which you can apply for a permanent licence. However, make sure you apply for the licence before the learner’s validity expires. Driving on an expired licence is a punishable offense.
How is the applicant for learner’s driving licence judged?
The applicant is posed with objective type questions on rules and regulations of the road, traffic signs, and precautions to be taken while driving. He has to answer at least 60% of the questions correctly in order to be eligible for the learner’s permit.
Who issues driving licences?
The Regional Transport Office (RTO) of the city or district is authorized to issue driving licences to people residing in specific zones of the RTO/ARTO.
In which states is the learner’s licence valid?
Learner’s driving permit is valid throughout India, given it is within its validity of 6 months.