Before you get your driving licence, you will need a learner’s licence. Here, we will guide you through the process of applying for a learner’s licence in Mumbai.
Types of Learner’s Licences in Mumbai
You can apply for various types of learner’s licences in Mumbai. Here is a list:
- Learner’s licence for all medium vehicles
- Learner’s licence for light motor vehicles
- Learner’s licence for heavy passenger vehicles
- Learner’s licence for medium passenger vehicles
- Learner’s licence for motorcycles without gear
- Learner’s licence for heavy goods vehicles
- Learner’s licence for motor vehicles with a definite description
- Learner’s licence for motorcycles with gear
- Learner’s licence for road rollers
Eligibility Criteria and Documents Required for Getting a Learner’s Licence in Mumbai
|Eligibility Criteria||Documents Required|
Fee for Getting a Learner’s Licence in Mumbai
The fee you need to pay when you apply for a learner’s licence in Mumbai is Rs.150. After you pay the fee, you can schedule your test date and time.
How to Apply for Learner's Licence in Mumbai Online
- Step 1: Visit the website https://parivahan.gov.in/
- Step 2: Click on ‘Online Services’
- Step 3: Select ‘Driving Licence’
- Step 4: Click on 'State of Maharashtra’ and select ‘Apply Online’
- Step 5: Once you select ‘New Driving Licence’, make sure to read the directions thoroughly
- Step 6: Click on ‘Continue’
- Step 7: Enter your date of birth in this format: DDMMYYYY and select 'OK’
- Step 8: You will then have to fill up details like your name, address and your age
- Step 9: Scan and upload the required documents (proof of identity and proof of address)
- Step 10: You will also have to upload a passport size photograph along with your signature
- Step 11: Select the date and time you want to visit the RTO and take the written test
- Step 12: You will have to make a payment for booking your slot
- Step 13: After the request is processed, you will get a notification via SMS
How to Apply for Learner's Licence in Mumbai Offline
- Step 1: You will have to first download Form 2 and Form 3 from https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in/
- Step 2: You can also get them at the RTO Office
- Step 3: Once you fill in the application, attach your photograph and documents (identity proof and address proof)
- Step 4: After you submit these forms and documents, you can book your test date and time
- Step 5: Once you pass the test, Learners License will be issued
How can you Apply for a Duplicate Learner’s Licence in Mumbai?
Follow these steps to apply for a duplicate learner’s licence:
- Step 1: First, you need to download the LLD form from the official Mumbai RTO website. You can also visit the RTO and collect the LLD form
- Step 2: Upload/attach all required documents
- Step 3: You have to attach two passport-sized photographs
- Step 4: Mention all details of your stolen or misplaced learner’s licence
- Step 5: Once you make the payment, your request will be processed
How to Make Corrections to Your Learner’s Licence?
- Corrections to your learner’s licence can be made by the RTO which issued the same
- You must submit an application for the changes required along with a copy of your learner’s licence
- After your application has been approved, you will have to pay the application fee and you will get a receipt
- The RTO will then issue your new learner’s licence
Procedure of Learner’s Licence Test
- The test for getting a learner’s licence in Mumbai will be a written one
- You need to score at least 60% to pass the test and get a learner’s licence
- Submit the approval slip at the allocated counter along with the fee for the test
- If you pass your test, you can apply for a driver's licence within 30 days of your learner’s licence being issued
- If you do not pass the test, you can always retake your test after a week’s time
FAQs on Learner’s Licences in Mumbai
- I am 16 years old. Can I apply for a learner’s driving licence in Mumbai?
Yes, you can apply for a learner’s driving licence in Mumbai. However, the licence will be legally valid for riding motorcycles without gear only.
- How old do I have to be to apply for a motorcycle with gear learner’s driving licence?
An applicant has to be at least 18 years old to be able to apply for a learner’s driving licence for riding motorcycles with gear.
- Can I apply for a learner’s driving licence online in Mumbai?
Yes, you can apply for a learner’s driving licence in Mumbai using the official website of thhe Mumbai RTO. You can download the LLD form from the website and submit it as per the instruction provided.
- Is it mandatory to appear for the written examination for the issuance of a learner’s driving licence in Mumbai?
As per the protocol, you will be required to take the written test and score a minimum of 60% in order to be eligible for a learner’s driving licence in Mumbai.
- How long do I have to wait before I can appear for the driver’s licence trial?
You will be required to wait for a period of at least 30 days to be able to apply and appear for the driving licence trials.
- Is there an expiration date for my learner’s driving licence?
Yes, your learner’s driving licence will be valid for a period of 6 months from the date of issuance. You will be required to appear for the driving licence test within the 6 months and pass the same in order to receive your driving licence. In case you are unable to appear for the same or you want to extend the period of learning, you will be required to pay the renewal fee and renew your learner’s driving licence.