Under the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, it is compulsory to first obtain a learner's licence before you can apply for a driving licence. This can be done either online or offline. The learner's licence will be issued by the city's Regional Transport Office (RTO). In Manipur, you can get your learner's licence without any hassle by following the instructions given here.
Online Application of learning licence in Manipur
To apply for your learning licence online in Manipur, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Visit the Manipur Transport Department's official website or that of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
- Step 2: Download the learner's licence application form
- Step 3: Fill up the forms with the required information, scan the application form as well as the documents that need to be attached with it
- Step 4: Upload the forms and documents required
- Step 5: Once verified, pay the fee required using the online payment gateway
- Step 6: Choose the date and time that will be convenient for you to appear for the learner's licence test at your nearest RTO
- Step 7: On the day of the test, if you are successful in clearing the test, you could receive your licence on the very same day
Offline Application of learner's licence in Manipur
To apply for learner's licence offline in Manipur, follow the steps given below:
- Step1: Visit your nearest RTO
- Step 2: Obtain the relevant application form and fill it up with accurate details
- Step 3: Attach copies of the required documents for verification
- Step 4: After verification, pay the required fees at the RTO's payment counter
- Step 5: Select the date and time convenient for you to appear for the learner’s licence test
Visit the RTO on the selected date and attend the test. If successfully cleared, you will receive the learner's licence the same day from the RTO or it will be sent to your registered address through speed post.
Types of Learner License in Manipur:
There are different learner's licences based on the type of vehicle so you must choose the right one when applying for your learner's licence. These are the different kinds of learner's licences:
- Learner’s Licence for LMV or Light Motor Vehicles
- Learner’s Licence for MPV or Medium Passenger Vehicles
- Learner’s Licence for HPV or Heavy Passenger Vehicles
- Learner’s Licence for Medium Goods Vehicles
- Learner’s Licence for HGV or Heavy Goods Vehicles
- Learner’s Licence for geared motorcycles.
- Learner’s Licence for non-geared motorcycles
- Learner’s Licence for Invalid Carriage
- Learner’s Licence for motor vehicles with specific descriptions
Eligibility Criteria for Manipur Learner’s Licence
Listed below are the criteria for being eligible for a learner's licence in Manipur:
- For a non-geared 50c engine motorcycle, the minimum age is 16 years.
- For a Light Motor Vehicle, the minimum age is 18 years.
- For a Commercial Vehicle, the minimum age is 20 years.
- Knowledge of the traffic rules and regulations as per the Motor Vehicles Act is mandatory to pass the test.
Documents Required for Learner Licence in Manipur
These are the documents required for your application for a learner’s licence in Manipur:
- Form No. 2
- Medical Certificate Form 1
- Physical Fitness Certificate Form 1A.
- Proof of age: Either birth certificate, PAN card, Voter ID, passport, LIC policy certificate, or ration card
- Proof of address: Either utility bills, ration card, voter ID, or Aadhaar card
- Passport-sized photographs
How to Make Corrections in Learner’s License in Manipur
Corrections to the learner’s licence can be made only at the RTO that issued the licence. A copy of the licence must be submitted along with the application for making the required changes. A nominal fee will have to be paid after which a receipt will be issued. The learner's licence will then be issued by the RTO after the verification has been completed.
Tips for Clearing Your Learner’s Licence Test
Here are some tips to help you clear your learner's test smoothly:
- Ensure that there are no vehicles approaching before you enter your vehicle at the test venue
- Adjust your seat if required and fasten your seatbelt
- Adjust the side-view mirror and rear-view mirror
- Release the hand brake
- Hold down the leg brake
- Ensure that the vehicle is in neutral gear
- Do not jerk the vehicle.
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Switch on the correct indicators before making a turn
- Drive carefully
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles when parking
- Ensure that there is no traffic approaching when getting out of the vehicle
FAQs on How to Apply for Learning Licence in Manipur
Can I renew my expired learning licence in Manipur?
A learner’s licence in Manipur is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. Once expired, it cannot be renewed. You will have to apply for a new learner’s licence if required.
I already have a driving licence in Manipur but want to add another class of vehicle to it. So should I apply for a new learner's licence for that?
Yes, you have to first apply for a new learner's licence if you want to add a new category of vehicle to your driver's licence. The steps to be followed are:
- Step 1: Visit the official Ministry of Road Transport & Highways website
- Step 2: Navigate to ''License related services''
- Step 3: Select your state
- Step 4: Under ''Learner's Licence'', click on "Application for New Learners License"
- Step 5: Choose "Applicant holds Driving License, Enter DL Number"
- Step 6: Fill up the required details such as your date of birth and driving license number
- Step 7: Fill up the application form
Can people who are color blind apply for a learner's licence in Manipur?
Yes, people who are color blind can apply for a learner's licence in Manipur provided they submit a medical certificate certifying that they are color blind.