Driving a two wheeler or a four wheeler has been considered as a symbol of freedom for long and has now become a quintessential life skill. In a period where driving a vehicle has become a sheer necessity, holding a driving license also becomes important. A Driving License is an official document issued by the Regional Transport Office certifying that the holder is qualified enough to drive a motor vehicle. As per the Indian Motor Vehicle Act 1988, no individual can drive a motor vehicle on Indian Roads without a valid driving license issued for a particular category.
In India, each state has its own process, test and criteria to apply for a driving license. For people residing in the state of Andhra Pradesh, the state’s Transport Department has greatly simplified the process of obtaining a Driving License and has also made the process very transparent. Individuals in Andhra Pradesh can get a Driving License from the Motor Vehicle Inspector’s Office or at the Regional Transport Office that has jurisdiction over the residential area of the applicant.
Types of DL in Andhra Pradesh
In Andhra Pradesh, motorists are eligible to avail two types of licenses - Permanent Driving License and Learner’s License. The individual must hold a Learner’s License before applying for a Permanent Driving License. Learner’s License in Andhra Pradesh has a validity period of 6 months and the holder must obtain a Driving License before this period. Also, a permanent Driving License can be issued only after a month of obtaining a learner’s License. When it comes to Driving License in Andhra Pradesh, there are three types as given below:
Driving License for Motorcycles without Gear
This type of permanent Driving License is issued to individuals for driving motorcycles without gear like mopeds and scooters. The candidate must have completed 16 years of age to obtain a permanent Driving License for motorcycle without gear.
Driving License for Light Motor Vehicle
This kind of permanent Driving License is issued to individuals for driving light motor vehicle including cars, and bikes. To obtain this type of driving license in Andhra Pradesh, the candidate must be at least 18 years old.
Driving License for Transport Vehicles
Individuals who wish to drive transport vehicles like taxis, private service vehicles, trucks, lorries and trailers must obtain a permanent Driving License for transport vehicles. In Andhra Pradesh, Driving License for transport vehicles is issued to individuals who are over 20 years of age.
- Get Brief: About LL in AP
How to apply online for a Driving License in Andhra Pradesh
Individuals can obtain a Driving License in Andhra Pradesh online by making use of the Meeseva facility. The Meeseva facility provides the Driving License registration form which can be downloaded and submitted at the nearest RTO office. Given below is the process for applying online for a Driving License in Andhra Pradesh.
- Visit the Meeseva online web portal and download the application form for driving license.
- You will have to enter the required information in the portal including Aadhaar card number, name of applicant, father’s name, locality, district, postal code, khata number, survey number and ration card number.
- You will have to fill in the application form completely and submit the form to the nearest Regional Transport Office with photograph copies.
- If you do not hold a Learner’s License, you can book a slot for Learner’s License test. You will just have to select the district and the test centre where you wish to take the test.
- Click on the submit button to get a copy of the application. Go to the test center on the prescribed date with a print out of the application form and other required documents.
Documents Required for Driving License in Andhra Pradesh
To obtain a Driving License in Andhra Pradesh, the applicant must submit the following documents at the concerned RTO office.
- Valid documents of the vehicle
- Duly filled application form which can be obtained from the Andhra Pradesh Transport Organization web portal.
- Four passport size photographs
- Medical certificate in Form 1 A and 1 issued by any certified Government doctor, if applicable.
- Valid age proof - passport, PAN card etc.
- Valid identity proof - Voter ID, Passport or Aadhaar card
- Proof of address
- Application Fees
Additional documents may be asked for depending on your profile. Do enquire with the nearest RTO office before submitting the application form for Driving License.
How to apply for a Driving License in Andhra Pradesh
The procedure for obtaining a Driving License in Andhra Pradesh is pretty straightforward and simple. Follow the easy steps given below to apply for a Driving License in Andhra Pradesh.
- The applicant should procure the Form 4, application form for license to drive a motor vehicle which is available at the Andhra Pradesh Transport website. Alternatively, applicants can also get in touch with the nearest Regional transport Office to get an application form.
- A valid learner’s license must be produced by the individual.
- If applicable, the individual must also present a medical certificate duly signed by an authorized medical practitioner along with a declaration.
- If the individual is applying for a transport vehicle driving license, a driving certificate in form 5 must also be submitted.
- Along with the application form, all other necessary documents and fees for concerned process must also be submitted at the Regional transport Office.
- The RTO office will allot a slot for the applicant to undergo a test which the individual must pass in order to obtain a permanent Driving License.
Test Process for Driving License in Andhra Pradesh
The applicant will have to appear for a driving test in presence of a Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI) and must pass the test to obtain a permanent Driving License. The person appearing for the test must have held a valid learner’s license for a period of minimum 30 days. If the applicant does not pass the test for Driving License, he may be permitted to reappear in the test after a period of minimum seven days. Also, an interview on questions regarding road signs and some questions regarding road safety will be asked.
Delivery of Driving License in Andhra Pradesh
If the individual successfully passes the test for Driving License, the Driving License will be sent to the applicant through Indian Postal Service to the address mentioned in the application form.
How to check Driving License Status in Andhra Pradesh
Individuals can monitor the Status of Driving License application in Andhra Pradesh easily through the online portal and also through offline modes. Follow the steps given below to check the status of Driving License in Andhra Pradesh.
Checking the Driving License status Online in Andhra
- You can check the status of your Driving License application online at the AP Transport Department’s online portal. You will have to go to “Document Delivery Services” page.
- Enter “License” as the module type. You can follow up on your driving license application using the license number, application number or LLR number, whichever is suitable.
- You will be asked to enter either the Learner’s License Number (LLR), application number or the license number. Press “Get Details” to know more about the status of your application.
- If the details that you have entered are correct, the portal will display information about the present status of your Driving License application, EMS number, date of Driving License card dispatch, date of Driving License card print and also if the card is printed.
Checking the Driving License status Offline in Andhra
- Applicants can check the status of the Driving License by reaching out to the nearest Regional Transport Office in Andhra Pradesh. You can contact the same RTO as where you took the test for Driving License.
- Provide necessary information including Learner’s License number, application number and the license number to get updates on the Driving License application status.
How to Make Corrections in Driving License
For individuals wishing to change the name, address or make any other relevant corrections in the Driving License copy, just follow the simple steps given below.
- The request for corrections in your Driving License can be requested at the RTO which issued your Driving License. For example, if you had obtained your Driving License in Delhi, you cannot make corrections to the Driving License in any of the Regional Transport Offices in Hyderabad.
- For name changes in Driving License, you must present the Marriage Certificate and other relevant documents.
- For a change of address, copies of proof of residence or place of business should be produced. Original documents will be asked for verification.
- The applicant must also produce the original copy of existing Driving License.
- An application for a change of information in Driving License can be made in plain paper by also affixing a non-judicial court fee stamp to the licensing authority.
- The applicant has to present the application for change of information at the concerned RTO and get the application approved by Regional Transport Officer.
- After the approval of the application for change of information, a receipt would be offered which can be produced as temporary driving license proof.
- The new Driving License with updated information will be sent through post.
Test Procedure for Driving License in Andhra Pradesh
Test procedure to obtain a Driving License in Andhra Pradesh is described below.
- Andhra Pradesh offers four different tracks for taking the Driving License test - Nagole Driving test facility, Kondapur Driving test facility, Gannavaram Nagole Driving test facility, Ampapuram Nagole Heavy Vehicle Driving test facility. Applicants can choose their nearest test location.
- Applicants can book a slot for Driving License test online well in advance. They can choose a time slot and also the test location.
- The applicant will be asked to drive a motor vehicle in presence of a Motor Vehicle Inspector who will then assess the driving skills and decide if the individual is qualified to obtain a driving license.
- Following the driving test, the applicant will also have to take a test regarding road signals and road safety and must pass this test to qualify for a Driving License.
- In case the individual does not pass the test, he will have to wait for a week before choosing another slot and filing another application for Driving License.
Driving License Renewal in Andhra Pradesh
Generally, a Learner’s License in Andhra Pradesh is valid for six months. A permanent Driving License for motorcycles without gears is valid for 16 years and the Driving License for light motor vehicles is valid for 18 years. If the Driving License has expired, you can get it renewed in the concerned RTO office by following the procedure given below.
- An application form for the renewal of existing Driving License should be made in Form 9. The Driving License holder must submit it to the Regional Transport Office (RTO) which issued the Driving License or the license authority having jurisdiction over the residential area of applicant.
- Along with the application form for renewal, the applicant must also submit a fee as mentioned in Rule 32 in CMV rules.
- Three recent passport sized photographs must be submitted along with the application if the renewal is made in form 6.
- The original Driving License must also be presented along with other necessary documents.
- Medical certificates as mentioned in Form 1A must be presented along with a declaration as in Form 1.
- The concerned RTO will validate and approve the application for Driving License renewal and the new Driving License will be sent to the residence of applicant through courier.
How to Apply for Duplicate Driving License
In case an individual has lost his Driving License or wishes to apply for a duplicate Driving License, he may do so by submitting a LLD form to the concerned RTO. The steps given below will elucidate on how to get a duplicate Driving License in Andhra Pradesh.
- The Driving License holder must completely fill the LLD form and submit it to the RTO where the Driving License was obtained or where it was last renewed.
- Along with the LLD form, the Driving License holder must also submit three copies of recent passport sized photographs and appropriate fee as mentioned in APMV rulebook.
- If the request for duplicate Driving License is made in Form 7, the applicant will have to pay a nominal fee of Rs. 40.
- The applicant will also have to present the original copy of the Driving License while applying for a duplicate copy.
How to Get International Driving License in Andhra Pradesh
To get an international driving permit in Andhra Pradesh, follow the steps given below.
- To get an international driving permit, the applicant must submit a completely filled IDP form to the licensing authority from where the Driving License was obtained or last renewed.
- Along with the IDP form, the applicant must submit three copies of recent passport sized photographs.
- Original copies of Driving License must be presented for verification.
- The applicant must also pay a nominal fee of Rs. 200 when submitting the IDP form.
- The application will be verified and approved by the RTO and the international driving permit will be sent to the residence of Driving License holder.
FAQs for Driving License in Andhra Pradesh
How frequently should I renew an expired driving license in Andhra Pradesh?
In Andhra Pradesh, the Driving License for a non-transport vehicle is valid until the holder attains the age of 50 years or for 20 years after the date of issue. After that, the Driving License must be renewed once in every 5 years. For transport vehicles, the Driving License is valid for 3 years from the date of issuance or renewal.
I failed the test for obtaining a permanent Driving License. When can I take a retest?
If the applicant has failed the test for permanent Driving License, he can apply for a retest after 7 days from the date of test. If the applicant has failed for 3 consecutive times but with a gap of 7 days between the tests, the applicant cannot take a retest for the next 60 days from the date of test.
I booked a slot for taking my Driving License test in Hyderabad. Can I cancel or change my Driving License test dates?
Yes, you can modify or cancel the test dates. However, you might be charged a small fee for modification or cancellation of dates.
What tracks are available in Andhra Pradesh for taking the Driving License test?
Applicants can book for a Driving License test on any of the below given tracks.
Test Center Vehicle Category Nagole Central Driving Test Facility All categories Gannavaram Driving Test Facility LMV and two wheelers Ampapuram Heavy Vehicle Driving Test Facility Heavy vehicles only Kondapur Driving Test Facility LMV and two wheelers
I booked a slot for Driving License test online. How do I make the payment?
If you have booked a slot online for taking the Driving License test, you will have to pay the fee along with user charges at the driving test center before taking the test. You will not be able to take the Driving License test without making the payment.