Tourism is becoming a major industry given all the advancements in travel. The world is becoming a more connected place and “Around the world in 80 days” has indeed become a reality. More and more people are extensively travelling for education, employment, business or just to satisfy that wanderlust in them. Travelling to a foreign country, whatever be the purpose, is an exciting affair. But, tables could turn in a moment if some unforeseen incident strikes. Events like baggage delay, loss of passport, plane hijack and medical emergencies could disrupt your schedule and cost you dearly. Also, the cost of medical treatment is considerably expensive overseas and an emergency in a foreign land could prove to be disastrous. Hence, it is important to ensure that you are covered under a comprehensive travel insurance policy.
For people who do not travel frequently, a single trip travel insurance policy could prove to be very useful. Offered by all major insurance companies in India, a single trip travel insurance policy will offer cover against all major risks and will also help you cut down the premium costs.
What is a Single Trip Travel Insurance Policy?
A single trip insurance policy essentially covers a single overseas trip. A single trip insurance policy will last until you return home from your trip. All insurers have a limit on the number of days that count as a single trip.
Single trip insurance policies are apt if you are making not more than one trip an year. As opposed to a single trip travel insurance policy, an annual travel insurance policy covers you for an entire year from the policy start date. Multi-trip policies are best suited for frequent travelers.
Coverage offered by a Single Trip Travel Insurance Policy
Here are some the risks that are covered under the single trip travel insurance policy.
- Medical cover including repatriation and medical evacuation
- In case of hospitalization, daily allowance will be provided.
- Emergency dental treatment costs
- Loss of checked-in baggage
- Emergency cash advance in case of theft of money
- Delay of checked-in baggage
- Missed flight connection and trip curtailment
- Burglary cover for contents of the home in India
- Expenses incurred for compassionate visits
- Personal liability cover
- Loss of passport and other travel documents
- Trip interruption and cancellation
- Evacuation due to political risks and evacuation
- Accidental death in a common carrier
- Fire cover for contents and structure of the home in India
- Hijack distress allowance
Please refer your policy wordings carefully to understand the inclusions and exclusions before purchasing a single trip travel insurance policy.
Exclusions in a Single Trip Travel Insurance Policy
The following perils are risks are generally excluded from a single trip travel insurance policy cover.
- Claims arising due to pre-existing medical conditions
- Venereal diseases
- Injuries caused by sporting activities and adventure sports
- Naturopathy, homeopathic and ayurvedic treatments
- Loss or damage due to radiation and nuclear weapons
- Claims arising out of HIV, AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases
- Mental disorder, depression and anxiety
- Loss of passport, travel documents and baggage which was unattended or unreported to the local police authorities is excluded
Do enquire with your insurance provider about a comprehensive list of policy exclusions for your travel insurance policy type.
Claims Process for Single Trip Travel Insurance Policy
- To file a claim. Get in touch with your insurance provider via mail, e-mail, via fax or through the toll-free number.
- You will be required to submit a duly filled claims form to your insurer at the earliest.
- Based on the nature of claim and type of accident, your insurer will brief you about the supporting documents required for the claims process.
- Keep general documents like policy copy, boarding pass, original receipts, doctor prescriptions, medical bills, passport and First Information report copy, if applicable, to speed up the claims process.
- What is the maximum trip length for a single trip travel insurance policy?
The maximum trip length differs based on the insurance provider. Do enquire about the maximum trip length with your insurance company before purchasing a single-trip travel insurance policy.
- Is there any cover for pre-medical conditions like high Blood Pressure under single trip travel insurance scheme?
No, any claim arising out of or due to pre-existing medical ailments is not covered under most of the single trip travel insurance policy. However, depending on your plan type and policy scheme, you might be offered some concession. Do contact your travel insurance provider for more details.
- Can business travelers purchase a single-trip travel insurance policy?
Most of the single-trip travel insurance policies in the market are designed for both business and leisure travelers.
- What are some of the conditions that are covered under medical coverage?
Most insurers cover the following costs - In-patient and out-patient medical treatment costs, radiotherapy, medical aid, x-ray, photo therapy, costs of diagnostic tests, costs of transportation to medical care facility and costs for emergency services.
- What documents will I require if I have to make a claim regarding loss of baggage?
You will have to submit the letter from airlines regarding loss of your baggage, list of contents in the baggage with approximate cost, policy copy, boarding pass, bills of any necessary items that you purchases because of baggage loss and passport copy.
- This that and those about Travel Insurance
- Wash your stress away with Inetrnational Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance – Must for Overseas Study
- All you need to kno about Family Travel Insurance
- Is Senior Citizen Travel Insurance necessary?
- Myths about Travel Insurance
- What is Corporate Travel Insurance?
- Travel Insurance for Schegen Visa India
- Why is Travel Insurance necessary?
- What is Group Travel Insurance?
- How to choose the Best Travel Insurance Policy?
- How to buy Travel Insurance Online?
- Should i buy Travel Insurance for Cruise
- Travel Insurance- Some things to know before you buy it
- When should i buy Travel Insurance?