It is a universally accepted fact that the nothing can pamper you as much as taking a vacation to explore the world. There can be no better way to break the monotony of daily life, melt away the huge pile of stress you have been carrying around from your workplace, and build memories that you can cherish for life. But a vacation or travelling to a new destination comes with a set of unanticipated risks and dangerous situations, which one can face. HDFC Ergo offers comprehensive and all-encompassing travel insurance policies for customers to protect them from various threats/risks that come along with travelling for you to enjoy a vacation the way you deserve to – free of worries.
Types of Travel Insurance plans offered by HDFC Ergo:
- Travel Insurance
- Student Suraksha
This standard travel insurance policy ensures that you are covered for any unforeseen circumstances or sudden losses while you are out on vacation with a purpose of enjoying it to the fullest. On an unfortunate day during your travel, the worst could happen: you could lose your baggage or passport, meet with an accident and need immediate medical attention, and fall ill. To have a solid support system in place, an overseas travel insurance will make sure you get everything you need. Now unwind and enjoy your vacation absolutely without worries because you deserve it. Be it travelling for business or leisure – HDFC has a travel insurance plan to suit all your needs.Features of HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Policy:
The features and coverages provided by this travel insurance policy have been listed below –
- The policy covers sudden medical costs arising due to an accident or sudden illness. Medically necessary and prescribed emergency evacuation costs are also included. The policy also covers expenses resulting from in-patient, out-patient, therapies, medical aid, and diagnostic tests. Please note that these will be covered as described in the policy schedule.
- The policy covers emergency medical evacuation. The evacuation needs to happen to the home country of the policyholder, and he/she is covered up to the chosen medical sum insured.
- In case of an unfortunate event, if the insured dies while on the trip, the policy covers the funeral expenses or the cost involved in repatriating the remains of the deceased insured, back to India. This coverage is valid only in case of death of the policyholder, abroad.
- While most insurance policies do not cover any dental expenses incurred on medical grounds, HDFC Ergo travel insurance policy provides coverage against severe anaesthetic treatment of natural teeth.
- Just as stated in the policy schedule, it pays a daily hospital allowance, on the event of the insurer being hospitalised while on his trip. This hospitalisation could either result due being sick or an accident.
- In case of accidental Death or Permanent Total Disability of the insured, Bajaj Allianz will pay the sum insured (as specified in the policy schedule). This is over and above the sum insured as stated in the Personal Accident section. If the insured becomes a victim of an accident while travelling in a common carrier like train, bus, tram, aeroplane, and suffers accidental physical injury which results in death or permanent disability, he/she is covered by the policy.
- The company pays a Personal accident Compensation to the insured in case he becomes a victim of death or permanent disability, which has resulted due to an accident.
- If the insured’s flight is delayed for more than 12 hours from the scheduled departure time, then this travel insurance policy gives him a financial compensation for the same.
- During travel, especially overseas, it is highly likely that you can lose you baggage or important personal documents. To provide you with complete support, this travel insurance policy, pays for the expenses you would have incurred in replacing your lost documents and luggage. You also get financial compensation for the permanent loss of your checked-in baggage.
- Delay of Checked Baggage is a very common mistake made by airlines these days. In such a scenario, the insured gets a reasonable amount of compensation for the expenses incurred sue to purchase of toiletries, medicines, clothes resulting out of delay of checked-in baggage. This is applicable only of the delay is for more than 12 hours.
- The Personal Liability cover ensures that you are compensated for any damages that you have caused to a third party and need to pay them for it; the damage could result out of death or injury of the third party. In case the insured has caused involuntary damage to health or property of a third party, he is compensated for that as well.
- As per the contingency travel fund, the company pays the hotel accommodation expenses incurred if he falls ill or sustains physical injury (and has to extend his stay in the place of travel), which irrespective of all other causes results in a hospitalisation; and as a result the in-patient has to miss his/her flight back to the country of residence.
- The insurance can be purchased online, and 24*7 travel assistance is also provided to the customers.
The entry age for the policy varies according to the category of trip. They are stated as follows -
- For Single Trip – minimum 6 months to a maximum of 70 years
- For Annual Multi Trip – minimum 18 years to a maximum of 70 years
- Single Trip Asia( this is exclusive of Japan): minimum 6 months up to 70 years
- For Family Floater -
- The age of primary policyholder is up to 60 years
- For insured’s spouse it is up to the age of 60 years
- For the insured’s child it is maximum 2 from 3 months up to the maximum age of 21 yrs
The advent of globalisation has made education, across the world, very accessible. These days, students travel and stay in faraway foreign countries to pursue higher studies. Especially when one is staying so far away from home, a strong support system (which assures complete care) is a must-have for these expatriate students. HDFC ERGO offers Student Suraksha – Student Overseas Travel Insurance; a comprehensive travel insurance policy which had been specially tailor made for students to ensure that they are financially secure in case any emergency arises. This insurance policy empowers students to study abroad without worrying about anything at all. Be it losing their passport, baggage, important documents, any medical emergency cost – they are protected from every such unprecedented expenditure.Features of Student Suraksha Travel Insurance Policy:
The features and coverages provided by this travel insurance policy have been listed below –
- If the student gets arrested or is put in detention by police for a bail-able offence, in the country of his travel/studies, the insurance policy provides is bail amount.
- If the student’s studies gets interrupted due to some reason, while he/she is pursuing a course abroad, then as per the policy the company pays compensation to him/her.
- If the student’s sponsor dies accidentally then this policy pays his/her tuition fees to the institute.
- If a compassionate visit is made by an immediate family member of the student then the expenses incurred is paid to the student.
- If a student receives medical treatment for nervous breakdowns, mental disorders, drug addiction and alcoholism, when abroad, the insurance policy pays the treatment expenses.
- The policy also covers the in-patient expenses for pregnant mothers, and also for mammographic examinations and cancer screening, as recommended by the physician.
- The policy covers sudden medical costs arising due to an accident or sudden illness. If the insured student dies accidentally then the company pays a compensation to his family. Similarly, if the insured student becomes a victim of permanent disablement then as per the insurance policy he gets financial compensation from the insurer.
- The policy covers the total sum insured or actual costs incurred (whichever is lesser) for an emergency medical evacuation. The evacuation/repatriation needs to happen to the home country of the policyholder.
- In case of an unfortunate event, if the insured student dies while he is abroad, the policy pays the total sum insured or actual costs incurred (whichever is lesser) for repatriating the insured student’s dead body to the country of his residence.
- Unlike most insurance policies which do not cover any dental expenses incurred on medical grounds, HDFC Ergo student travel insurance policy provides coverage against expenses incurred for acute dental pain or severe injury of the same.
- It is a common phenomenon that during overseas travel passengers lose their baggage or important personal documents, when checked into a common carrier. To provide complete support in this regard, Student Suraksha travel insurance policy, reimburses the expenses that the insured would have incurred in replacing his/her lost or damaged articles and luggage.
- Delay of Checked Baggage is a very common mistake made by airlines these days. In such a scenario, the insured gets a compensation for the expenses incurred due to emergency purchase of toiletries, medicines, clothes resulting out of delay of checked-in baggage.
- In the student loses his passport while he is abroad, he/she is reimbursed the actual expenses incurred in getting a fresh or duplicate passport.
- Applicants need to be students studying abroad.
- Applicants need to be minimum 16 years old and maximum 35 years old. Applicants are eligible for worldwide cover for 30 days up to 2 years. No medical check-up.
Damages caused by the following situations will not be covered under this travel insurance policy -
- Any type of wars - civil or international
- Attempt to suicide
- Acts of terrorism
- Issues caused due to drug and liquor abuse
- Mental ailments
- Damages caused to participating in risky adventure sports
You can file your insurance claim with HDFC Ergo in very simple steps. Get in touch with the company via telephone. They have an international toll free number and also a chargeable contact number within India. You will be in touch with a representative who will assist you through the entire claim process. Once you receive the claim settlement form, fill it duly and furnish it with all the required documents and also mention the claim type or nature of loss you have undergone. Say, while you are on your vacation and fall ill. In this case of medical emergency if you have to be hospitalised and want to claim the same from HDFC Ergo, then contact the company and inform them. You can have them get in touch with the hospital directly and organise direct billing. Please remember, that this is a case specific arrangement.
HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance FAQs:
- Q: What are the cancellation policies for HDFC Ergo travel insurance?
A: Yes, for cancellation of the policy you need to send a ‘cancellation request’ to HDFC Ergo via e-mail or Fax. The request of cancellation needs to reach the HDFC Ergo officials within 14 days of issuing of the policy. In case the policy has already been shaped, a photocopy of the 40 pages of the insured’s passport needs to be submitted. This is to serve as a proof that no journey has not been undertaken despite registering for the policy. Please not that a cancellation charge of Rs.250 is applicable and shall be deducted from the balance refunded to you.
- Q: Is there a way to extend my HDFC Ergo travel insurance policy?
A: Yes, there is. To extend your policy send an extension request mail to HDFC Ergo customer care. The extension of the policy request needs to be sent along with a health declaration, attached to it. HDFC Ergo will responds to you with a detailed procedure list and the stating the additional premium amount.
- Q: Is there a provision to reduce the existing plan coverage period?
A: No, HDFC Ergo travel insurance doesn’t have any provision to reduce the plan coverage period. This is done to curtail risks involved.
- Q: Will my claim be settled as and when I return to India?
A: This depends on your being able to furnish the original documents. HDFC Ergo settles claims based on receiving the original documents.
- Q: What is the meaning of deductible and is there any provision to increase the sum insured?
A: Deductible refers to the amount of a claim that the insured needs to bear, and there isn’t any provision to increase the sum insured for HDFC Ergo travel insurance policy.
- Q: How do I extend the policy period of Student Surakasha travel insurance?
A: The policy period can be extended only the following conditions –
- The sum insured will be enhanced.
- The original policy still needs to be valid, as per the policy date.
- The insured needs to provide a declaration of his/her good health. The same needs to be certified by a physician.
- The insured should not have made any claims during the initial policy period.
- The extension premium needs to be paid before the actual extension comes into play, and the entire policy period (inclusive of the extension) cannot be exceeding over 2 years.
- During the risk period, the extension policy can be availed only once.
- Q: What support do I get from HDFC Ergo if my luggage is lost or delayed during travelling abroad?
A: HDFC Ergo travel insurance policy pays for the expenses you would have incurred in replacing your lost documents and luggage. You also get financial compensation for the permanent loss of your checked-in baggage.
Delay of Checked Baggage is also a very common phenomenon these days. In such a scenario, the insured gets a reasonable amount of compensation for the expenses incurred sue to purchase of toiletries, medicines, clothes resulting out of delay of checked-in baggage. This is applicable only of the delay is for more than 12 hours.