One fine day, you have this epiphany that you should have complete control of your account on the income tax filing portal. But then it suddenly strikes you that you are unaware of the current password. This can happen if you either genuinely forgot your password or you have given access to another person to help file your tax returns on the website. So, you may not be in touch with this individual and there are very high chances that this particular person is your hired Chartered Accountant or a friend who helped you to e-file for the first time.
Now, just like any other online account, the website does give you an option of rescue called, “Forgot Password”. It is a perfect rescue if the account is linked to your own email address and phone number. But what if it is not? You have no way to retrieve the new password or get the OTP in the form of a text on your phone. Only, the other person is aware of it. At this point it might be an extremely distressful feeling. But all this buildup is for nothing, since of recent, there is a provision that has been launched by the IT department which is a true rescue from such issues. You can now change the phone number and email linked to your IT account on the website to be able to gain the access exclusively to yourself again.
How This Works From the IT Department’s End?
In the recent past, the income tax department has come with strict law that they are actually able to follow and implement in the online space. This simply suggests that a phone number or email can be used, linked to a maximum of 10 accounts. We are all aware of the fact that you are not the only client the CA you hired has. He has numerous clients and 10 is definitely not a sufficient number. Though this not all that great news, considering you’re your CA has to be physically present with you to help you file your IT returns. But it is good in a way where you have complete control and awareness of what is going on during the IT filing giving a chance to take complete control of your account and at first hand. There is also this fantastic opportunity for you to save money on your CA bills, though it is not a very good news for him or her.
How To Claim Your Access Back To Your Income Tax Filing Account Online?
For new users, your PAN number will help you get through to your account, but for the apparent unfortunate there are a few simple steps to follow to change your phone number and email address on the IT web portal.
- Visit the IT department website: https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ and make an attempt to login.
- You will naturally fail at the login attempt but you will also get an option that says, “Forgot Password”. Once you click that, you will be redirected to a page with options to change your phone number and email address.
- Follow the prompt messages on the website to complete the process.
- Try logging in again, this time, with the option of forget password, where you can access the OTP for changing your password, which will be now sent to the number and email address you just changed.
- Once done, use the password and login (Pan Card no.) and access your account.
The Risks of the New Phone Number and Email Address Change Provision:
There are two bothersome situations that have been created by the IT department with this effort:
- The security aspect of this initiative is flawed since anyone can now change the phone number and email address linked to your IT account online. This can actually have a counter effect on the whole effort because it is flawed.
- CAs losing their clients are not as big an issue as you losing the ability to take service from them is.
However, the silver lining is that, now you have complete access and will make the effort to educate yourself on the taxation process and be involved completely, when it comes to filing your tax returns.