TDS Return/statement is referred the collection of all the transactions made by an Indian citizen during the Quarter that has been filed in the following forms: 26Q, 24Q and 27Q with the help of media that is detectable or comprehendible by a computer on a piece of data storage equipment such as a CD ROM or Pen Drive, but in the format permitted under the Income Tax laws in India. The file has to be completely filled and filed for each quarter of a fiscal year. You can do this online by filling and uploading the file in the designated online Government portal. But it is essential first to know and understand how are supposed to file TDS returns in the first place.
Are you liable to Submit e-TDS Return/Statement?
As a taxpayer, if your TDS is deducted, you are liable to fill and file eTDS Return. It is a mandatory step to file your TDS Return within a specific period of time. If you become a regular defaulter you might even be liable to pay a penalty for not submitting the e-TDS Return in due time. If you are any one of the following entities, you require to file your e-TDS return quarterly:
- People whose accounts are Audited
- People holding an office under the Government.
How to file your eTDS Returns?
Income tax department and NSDL require the individual to file the e-TDS in different formats depending upon the type of payments. So, the accountant or you should choose it based it on the same. You can download these forms from the portal online on your system.
- Annual eTDS returns are to filed through Form 24, 26 and 27.
- Annual eTCS is supposed to be filed in Form 27E.
- Quarterly return has to be filed in Form 24Q, 26Q, 27Q and 27EQ.
Things To Note when Filling Up The TDS Forms:
Here are things one needs to ensure for successful eTDS acceptance:
- The Control Chart in Form 27A must be duly filled for all the columns. This has to be then verified and in hard copy form along with the e-TDS return on computer media.
- The Control totals of the amount paid as well as the tax deducted at source has to be mentioned clearly and has to be the same in all the forms including Form No.27A, Form No. 24, Form No. 26 and Form No.27.
- The individual needs to clearly mention their Tax deduction Account Number (TAN) in the Form No.27A. This is similar to as it is done in the case of the e-TDS return. This is dictated by ‘sub-section (2) of section 203A of the Income-tax Act in india’.
- While filing one must make sure to fill the details that are related to the depositing of tax that is deducted at source in the table specifically ‘item No.6 of Form No.24’ or ‘item No.4 of Form No.26’ or ‘item No.4 of Form No.27’, generally.
- The basic structure that has to be used for e-TDS return prescribed by the concerned department is compulsory or rather mandatory to follow. It also, helps since you have uniformity and better understanding of how to fill the forms. It is compulsory to write the Bank Branch code or the BSR code. The BSR code is generally referred to the 7 digit code which is given to banks by Reserve Bank of India. This is however different from the branch code that we use otherwise. This OLTAS challan generally has this number or it can be taken from the bank branch or you could even log on to www.tin-nsdl.com and get it. It is absolutely a must to mention the BST code both both in the details of the challan as well as the deductee details. Do not leave this field blank, ever. Transfer of tax with through book entry is conducted by Government deductees hence the BSR code must not be left blank.
- The E-TDS must be filed in the ASCII clean text format. For this, the individual may use a software of their choice such as Computax, MS Excel or Tally. the individual may also use ERP or even the NSDL software Return Preparation Utility (e-TDS RPU-Light) to file the TDS return online. It is important to ensure that the online TDS file formats be in the requested format and must come with 'txt' as the filename extension.
Validation of the TDS Return File:
This is what you need to do for completing the validation process:
- Fill the file.
- Once file has been filled and checked, update it in the portal validation utility tool for the same.
- The tool is provided by NSDL and can be used for free.
- If the file contains any errors the FVU will give a report of the errors.
- Simply make the required changes and verify the file again through the FVU.
Filing The TDS Online and Offline:
Offline Go to TIN – FC ( Center) near your Office:
You can file the e-TDS returns at any of the TIN-FC opened by the e-TDS Intermediary for this purpose. The addresses of these TIN-FCs are available in the following URLS: http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/ or at http://www.tin-nsdl.com/.
Online Filling of e-TDS Return:
The more convenient method is to file your e-TDS return online for this you have to register to NSDL as mentioned before.
- Excess TDS Deducted
- How To Calculate TDS From Salary
- How To Claim TDS Refund
- How To File TDS Returns
- TDS on Immovable Property
- TDS Rates
- TDS Return Form
- Revised TDS Return
- Quarterly TDS Returns
- TDS Mismatch
- Consumption Tax
- Tax Deductions On Home Improvements
- Tax Deductions Under 80C
- How To Claim Tax Deduction For Donations
- Tax Exemptions
- Tax Sections
- Exception On Medical Reimbursement
- Exemption On Capital Gains Tax
- Advance Tax Exception
- Exempt Income
- Tax Benefits On Life Insurance
- Tax Benefit On Tuition Fees
- Tax Benefits On Loans
- Tax Benefit Home Loan
- Tax Benefits For Education Loans
- Tax Benefits For Consultants
- Tax Benefits On Loans
- Profit After Tax
- Fringe Benefit Tax
- Benefits & Drawbacks Of HUF
- Benefits Of Tax Exemption
- LBT Tax
- Maharashtra LBT
- Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement
- Tan Number
- State Tax
- Income Tax
- Sales Tax
- Service Tax
- Goods and Service Tax(GST)
- Income Tax Slab
- Income Tax Return
- Income Tax Refund
- Income Tax Refund Status
- Income Tax Calculator
- e-Filing ITR
- House Rent Allowance(HRA)
- HRA Calculation
- Income From House Property
- How To Calculate Income Tax
- How To Pay Income Tax Online
- Which ITR To File
- ITR-V to Income Tax Department
- Challan 280
- Capital Gains Tax
- Capital Gain Calculator
- Medical Reimbursement
- Tax Exemption
- Inflation Index
- Custom Duty
- Conveyance Allowance
- Dearness Allowance
- Professional Tax
- Property Tax
- Union Budget
- Tax Calendar
- Tin Number
- Income Declaration Scheme