When you receive your Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) statement, it is important that you go through it very properly. If there are any errors or changes, you have the option of putting the same up for alterations. There is no limit to it.
The TDS Reconciliation Analysis and Correction Enabling System (TRACES) of the Indian Income Tax Department permits you to correct the info filed in your TDS results, which is quite easy and quick without the added stress of calling at the nearest government office and waiting in long queues. For instance, you can rectify your PAN number and challan entries using the same model. The concerned income tax official must register the details in the TRACES system at the official government site, www.tdscpc.gov.in. After you register as directed, you will be sent a login id and password as email or SMS using which you can rectify information online.
Steps involved in revised TDS return
Placing a request to correct:
As you log in to the website of TRACES, the landing page opens a tab of ‘Defaults’ in front of you. Most likely your rectification has to do with one of the options. Click on the option ‘Request for correction’. Please remember that you cannot rectify the default online if you have given the TDS return by post or in person in paper format. Information like the current fiscal and quarter, form type and category of amendment and the most recent token number should be duly entered in specific columns by you. Double check everything again before clicking on the submit button.
Steps in following up:
If each and every information you have submitted online are valid, your request gets accepted. You will also be sent a unique request, which will help you to follow up the request/ rectification. You can check the status of your application or request online using this number. Go to the TRACES page and click on ‘Track Correction Request’, listed under the Default lists. Enter the number and the status will be displayed on screen.
Completing the required correction:
Go to the TRACES page and see if the rectification status is ‘Available’. If it is, you can commence to correct the declaration. The new token number sent to you must be utilized. The token number and detailed statements should be entered as well. After your entered info gets authenticated, the challan modification screen will get facilitated. Thanks to the digital wave, tax filing, TDS Returns, revisions etc. have become hassle-free.
Important points to remember:
- You can make virtual revisions only for the statements issued from fiscal year 2007-2008 onwards.
- Aside from the PAN number and challan alterations, every other revisions must be made via the offline mode through TIN-FC.
- As a tax paying citizen, you also have the option of availing the facility of online rectification of TDS challan by getting yourself registered on the online portal, TRACE.
How many times can one correct or revise in the TDS Return Statement?
- Any alteration in the TDS Return statement shall be provided numerous times to integrate changes in the regular TDS report while a regular TDS statement will be acknowledged at the TIN central system only one time.
- The TDS report on which amendment is to be ready must be updated with particulars in accordance with every former corrections.
- Only the changes, addition and removal in rectified statements accepted at the TIN central system must be taken into consideration.
Steps involved in filing Revised TDS Return:
- You are expected to update alterations in line with the accepted rectifications in the TDS report.
- Ascertain the record for which rectification was overruled previously by its sequence number and turfs for identification
- Enter the required corrections in the record.
- The amendment statement must entail the latest values as well as the value of ID field as mentioned in the regular report.
What to do if the status is ‘Partially Accepted’?
In the event of the rectified statement being under the status ‘Partially accepted’, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- A rectification report comprising of updates in PAN of the tax payer might get Partially Accepted.
- You should update alterations in accordance with the established records in the TDS report.
- Identify the deductee/ remuneration document that was denied owing to erroneous PAN details.
- Correct the incorrect PAN number right away.
- Amendment report must entail value of ID keys in line with regular report along with the changed values.