- Takes less time
- Can be completed online
- No physical documents need to be submitted
Process to change name on UAN portal
In case basic details of the employee need to be changed on the UAN portal, a joint request must be given by the employer and employee to the EPFO. However, the below-mentioned perquisites must be completed by the employee and employer in order to make the changes:
- The activation of the UAN must be completed by the employee. The process is simple and can be done on the EPFO portal.
- The employee and employer must have access to the EPFO portal.
- The employee must have an Aadhaar card with the correct details mentioned on it.
- The request must be forwarded by the employer to the EPFO.
It is important that all the details mentioned on the Aadhaar card are correct. At certain times, individuals would get a message stating that the Aadhaar details have already been verified and no changes can be made. In such cases, the Aadhaar details must first be changed before the basic changes can be made on the portal.
The process to update the details must be done by the employee and employer. The various stages in which the changes occur in are mentioned below:
- Initially, the employee will need to make the changes on the EPFO portal.
- The system will compare the details that have been entered with the Aadhaar details that have been mentioned.
- Only after the verification is successful will the details be sent to the employer for approval.
- The employer will have to approve of the changes and submit the same to the EPFO.
- The update is complete only after the employer approves of the changes.
The step-by-step process that must be followed by employees and employers are mentioned below:
Procedure the employee must follow
Given below is the procedure that employees must follow in order to update basic details on the EPFO portal:
- First, the employee must visit the official website of the EPFO (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php).
- The employee must go to the ‘Our Services’ tab and click on ‘For Employees’.
- On the next page, the employee must click on ‘Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)’. The link can be found under the ‘Services’ menu.
- On the new tab that has been opened, the employee must enter his/her UAN, password, and captcha details. Once the details have been entered, the employee must click on ‘Sign In’.
- On the next page, the employee must click on ‘Modify Basic Details’ which can be found under ‘Manage’.
- Next, the employee must enter the correct details. The details that are entered must be similar to the details present on the Aadhaar card. Employees will be able to change his/her name, date of birth, and gender.
- Once the correct details are entered the employee must click on ‘Update Details’.
- Once the above step is completed, the request will be sent to the employer for approval. Employees will have the option to delete the request as well. However, this must be done before the employer approves the request.
Procedure that the employer must follow
Given below is the step-by-step procedure that the employer must follow in order to approve the request made by the employee:
- Initially, employers must visit the official login page of the EPFO (https://unifiedportal-emp.epfindia.gov.in/epfo/).
- Next, the individual must enter the username and password and then click on ‘Sign In’.
- On the next page, the employer will be able to view the requests that were submitted by employees online by clicking on ‘Details Change Request’ which can be found under the ‘Member’ tab.
- Employers will be able to view the requests as well as take the necessary action. However, the employer must enter a remark against the request.
- Once the request has been approved, the employer will be able to view the status of the request.
- Once the employer has approved the request, the task will appear in the Unified Portal of the Field Office Interface. The Dealing Hand must approve of the request next.
- The Dealing Hand must log in on the EPFO portal and click on ‘Details Change Request’. The option will be available under the ‘Member’ tab.
- Once verification is completed by the Dealing Hand, the recommendations must be submitted to the Section Supervisor. The request can be approved or rejected by the Dealing Assistant. However, a remark must be entered by the Dealing Assistant depending on the type of action that has been taken.
- Next, the recommendations must be submitted to the Regional Provident Fund Commissioner (RPFC) by the Section Supervisor.
- The next step would be for the RPFC to accept or reject the recommendation that has been submitted.
- Once the request has been accepted, the changes will appear on the EPFO portal of the employee.
Process to change name of employee offline
Employees will also be able to make basic changes such as change in name, father’s or husband’s name, PF number, date of birth, date of joining, and date of leaving manually. However, a joint declaration must be submitted by the employer and the employee for the changes to be made. The joint declaration form can be downloaded from http://nielit.gov.in/sites/default/files/PDF/FacilityManagement/name%20change%20correction%20form.pdf.
Issues to Deal with Incorrect EPF Details
Incorrect information in your EPF account can create issues at the time of withdrawal. You may feel that as long as you fill your EPF withdrawal form, there will not be any problems with your withdrawal. However, that is not the case. The documents that you submit to your employer at the time of EPF registration are also very crucial. It is very important to ensure that details recorded at registration are correct or it could add to the reasons for rejection of online claim form. For approval of a claim, it the details given on the form should match the establishment records. Given below are some of the errors that could lead to a claim rejection of EPF:
- Any misspelt or wrong entry of data in the EPF’s record during enrollment can result in the rejection of a claim from EPF.
- Nominee details are very important and should be updated when the member gets married as it may lead to hassles during an EPF claim.
- Date of joining is also another data that if wrongly recorded could lead to a lot of issues in the EPF processes. The date is crucial as it is used to calculate EPS pension. It is also important for the calculation of the number of years of EPF contribution as based on that it is decided if EPF withdrawal will be tax-free or not.
EPF Name Change Rules
As your name has been provided by your employer to the EPFO, change in your name in the account cannot be done independently. It requires you to give a joint application from you and your employer, to correct your name in the EPF account.
Only the specified documents listed above are allowed as identity proof in order to make the change.
Name Correction due to Marriage
Sometimes after your marriage, you add a surname or title, in these cases you are required to fill in a prescribed form and submit it to the EPFO. If you change your surname in your bank records or office records, it is mandatory that you make the same change in the EPF database. Along with the specific form to make the change, you are required to provide a copy of the marriage certificate as well. However, if your name does not reflect in your bank account, there is no need to make the change in the EPF account. Your name recorded in the EPF database and the bank account through which you intend to withdraw your PF, should match.
FAQs Employee Name Change in EPF
Given below is the list of requirements for change of name and date of birth:
- Individuals must have a UAN.
- Activation of UAN must have been completed.
- Individuals must have access to the EPFO portal.
- Members should have an Aadhaar card.
Yes, the employer and the employee will need to submit a joint declaration for a name change. The employer will need to approve the name change in case the employee makes the changes online as well.
If the name change has been made on the Aadhaar card, PAN card, and bank account, then it is mandatory to make the name change on the EPFO portal as well. However, if the name change has not been done on the KYC documents, then it is not mandatory.