HDFC Mutual Fund, managed by HDFC Asset Management Company Ltd, is among the leading mutual fund companies in India with Rs.6,990.52 crore of assets under management (AUM) till July 2018. HDFC MF was founded on 8 June 2000 as a trust and later on 30 June 2000 it had been registered with SEBI as a mutual fund company. At present, this prominent fund house has its presence in almost every city across the country. Headquartered in Mumbai, this company offers a wide range of schemes under equity funds, debt funds, liquid funds, Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), Fund of Funds (FoFs) and others.
The HDFC TaxSaver-Dividend Plan is one of the various equity-linked savings schemes (ELSS) offered by the company. This scheme coming with a statutory lock-in period of 3 years primarily aims to make investments in equity and equity-linked securities having high return prospects. Apart from generating regular income and capital growth for the investors, this scheme also offers tax-saving benefits. The dividend plan of this mutual fund scheme will allow the investors to get regular payouts which will help them to have a constant source of income throughout the investment period. Under this plan, the dividend amount instead of being reinvested for capital growth in future will be paid to the investor in his/her bank account at regular intervals based on the availability of distributable surplus.
Investment Objective of HDFC TaxSaver Plan
The prime motto of this scheme is to offer long-term capital appreciation to the investors along with generating regular income through smart investments made in a well-managed portfolio comprising equity and equity-linked instruments at a moderately high associated risk.
Key Features of HDFC TaxSaver Plan
Type of fund
An open-ended equity-linked savings scheme with tax benefits
Dividend – Payout
Options under each plan
The dividend option comes with a regular payout facility
Systematic Investment Plan
Systematic Transfer Plan
Systematic Withdrawal Advantage Plan
Investment Amount for HDFC TaxSaver Plan
Minimum Application Amount
Minimum Additional Investment
Multiples of Rs.500
Minimum Installment for Systematic Investment Plan (SIP)
Rs.300 for daily, Rs.500 for monthly, Rs.1,500 for quarterly
Asset Allocation for HDFC TaxSaver Plan
Allocations (Percentage of total assets)
Equity and its related securities
Debt, securitised debt and money market instruments
Low to Medium
Who can invest in HDFC TaxSaver Plan?
The following are the persons/entities who are eligible to make investments in the units of HDFC TaxSaver Plan:
- Adult individuals who are domiciles of India
- Karta of a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
- Parent/legal guardian of minors on their behalf
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)/Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) either on repatriation or non-repatriation basis
- Educational organisations/institutions and Universities
- Religious organisations, Charitable Trusts, Wakfs or endowments of private trusts
- Foreign Portfolio Investors who are registered with the SEBI
- Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) and Partnership firms in India
- Associations of Persons or Body of Individuals
- Companies and Corporates which are registered in India
- Military including Navy, Army, Air Force, and other paramilitary forces
- Proprietorship which is on the name of an individual proprietor
- Financial institutions and banks including Regional Rural Banks and Co-operative Banks
- Scientific and Industrial Research Organisations
- International Multilateral Agencies having approval under the RBI and Government of India
- Mutual fund schemes having registration with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
- Pensions/Gratuity/Provident Funds can also invest up to a permissible extent
- AMC/Trustee or Sponsor or their associates
NAV Disclosure and Benchmark for HDFC TaxSaver Plan
NAV: For calculating the Net Asset Value (NAV) of the HDFC TaxSaver Plan units, its net assets are divided by the number of units under the scheme which are outstanding on the date when the NAV is calculated. The final figure resulting after the calculation is the final NAV of the scheme. The NAV for this scheme is calculated and revealed at the end of every business day. The calculation of the NAVs are computed up to 3 decimals. The final value is mentioned on the official website of the fund house at www.hdfcfund.com and on the AMFI website at www.amfiindia.com on every business day by 9.00 p.m. in the evening. The NAVs are also published in at least 2 widely-subscribed newspapers having nationwide circulation.
Liquidity: The HDFC TaxSaver plan being an open-ended scheme, its units can be purchased and sold on the National Stock Exchange of India on every business day at the prevalent NAV prices. The units can also be redeemed by the investors on every working day like any other stock.
Benchmark Index: The benchmark index of the HDFC TaxSaver Mutual Fund plan is Nifty 500 Index. This means the scheme’s performance is compared to the performance of its benchmark index to assess its gains and losses in comparison to its benchmark.
Fund Manager for HDFC TaxSaver Plan
This fund is efficiently managed by Mr. Vinay R Kulkarni having a total experience of 29 years in equity research and Mr. Rakesh Vyas with a rich experience of 11 years in the same domain. While Mr. Vinay R Kulkarni is managing the scheme for 11 years and 5 months, Mr. Rakesh Vyas is managing it for 5 years and 11 months.
Investment Restrictions on HDFC TaxSaver Plan
Investments made in the HDFC TaxSaver Plan is subject to certain limitations and restrictions as imposed by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) which are as follows:
- Buying and selling of securities should be done by the scheme on the basis of deliveries. For every purchase and sale of the units, the scheme has to deliver the securities.
- For dealing with transactions that are related to government securities, only dematerialised mode of transaction is allowed.
- The HDFC TaxSaver mutual fund cannot own more than 10% of any firm’s paid-up capital which is having voting rights.
- The scheme can invest a maximum of 10% of its NAV in debt instruments which are issued by a single issuer and are rated above the investment grade by a credit rating agency. This limit, however, is not applicable to treasury bills, government securities, collateralised borrowing (CBLO), and lending obligations.
- The scheme is not allowed to make investments in unlisted securities of a group company or associate of the sponsor, any security issued by private offering, and any listed securities of sponsor’s group company that are higher than 25% of the net assets.
- The maximum limit of investing in the unlisted equity and equity-linked securities is 5% of its NAV.
- The scheme is not allowed to pledge funds in short-term deposit in banks which have made investments in this particular scheme.
- The HDFC TaxSaver scheme can not invest more than 15% of its net assets in short-term deposits of all the scheduled commercial banks. However, the limit of investment can be increased to 20% on approval of the trustees.
Note - The above-mentioned investment restrictions on the scheme will be applicable only at the time of making an investment.
Dividend Policy of HDFC TaxSaver Plan
The Trustee of the scheme will decide the dividend payments based on the availability of surplus assets computed according to the SEBI regulations. The frequency of dividend payment and the amount of dividend will also be decided by the Trustee. Unitholders who have chosen the dividend investment option while subscribing to the scheme and whose names will appear on the register of the unitholders upheld by the company or beneficial ownership statement held by the Depositories on the record date are the ones to receive the dividends. After deducting the applicable taxes at source the final dividend amount will be paid to the unitholder. Usually, the dividend is paid within 30 days from the date of its declaration. However, the plan doesn’t guarantee the amount of the dividend and the frequency at which it will be distributed among the unitholders. After the distribution of the dividend, the NAV of the scheme will get reduced by the declared dividend amount and the paid dividend distribution tax/statutory levy.
Distribution of dividend: The dividend payments will either be made through a cheque or will be directly credited to the registered bank account of the unitholder under his/her investment folio as per the payment mode opted by the investor. Unless the investor has chosen to receive the dividend payout through transaction instruments like cheque, warrant, or, demand draft, the amount will be transferred to the bank account of the unit holder through any of the following electronic modes of payment:
- National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT)
- National Electronic Clearing Service (NECS)
- Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS)
- Electronic Clearing System (ECS)
Other Facilities offered by the HDFC TaxSaver Plan
Apart from the above-mentioned features, this mutual fund offers several added facilities as well. Here are the other facilities that are offered by the HDFC TaxSaver Plan to the investors who subscribe to it:
- Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP)
- Systematic Withdrawal Advantage Plan (SWAP)
- Systematic Investment Plan (SIP)
- Systematic Transfer Plan (STP)
- HDFC Swing Systematic Transfer Plan
- One Time Mandate (OTM) Facility
- Dividend Transfer Plan Facility
- Facility to buy or sell units through the stock exchange
- HDFC Flexindex Plan
- Switching Option
Why should you invest in HDFC TaxSaver Plan?
Considered to be one of the largest mutual fund companies in India based on its asset value, since its establishment, HDFC Mutual Fund has been witnessing a rapid growth. At present, it is among the fastest growing fund houses in the country. Being a well-performing equity scheme of this well-established fund house, there are multiple reasons to invest in this scheme, some of which are detailed below:
- Well-managed scheme: The HDFC TaxSaver Plan is not only a professionally-managed fund scheme but also both the fund managers of this scheme have rich experience of more than 10 years of managing funds. Hence, you can be assured that your hard-earned money will remain secure and give out high returns.
- Multiple investment options: While investing in this plan you will get both growth and dividend investment options. You can choose any of the options to invest in the scheme as per your investment objective. If you want to generate regular income by means of your investment, you can go for the dividend option and if you want to build wealth over a long period of time, you can select the growth option.
- Tax saving benefits: This scheme offers tax benefits to the investors under Section 80C of the Indian Income Tax Act, 1961. It has a statutory lock-in period of 3 years so that the amount remains invested for a minimum duration of 3 years resulting in capital growth. Investors who want to get regular income along with capital growth while also getting tax benefits can subscribe to the units of this fund.
Customised facilities: Along with this scheme the investors will get several facilities such as the HDFC Flexindex Plan, HDFC Swing Systematic Transfer plan, and others. The HDFC Swing Systematic Transfer Plan is a scheme through which the investors who own units in non-demat form can transfer a certain amount from a particular open-ended scheme to the growth option of another scheme of HDFC Mutual Fund at regular intervals.
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Direct Plan Dividend Quarterly Option
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Quarterly Dividend Direct Plan
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Retail Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Retail Plan Quarterly Dividend Option
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Wholesale Plan Dividend Option Direct Plan
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Wholesale Plan Dividend Reinvestment
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Wholesale Plan Growth Option Direct Plan
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Wholesale Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Wholesale Plan Monthly Dividend Option Direct Plan
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Wholesale Plan Monthly Dividend Option
- Hdfc Arbitrage Fund Wholesale Plan Normal Dividend Option
- Hdfc Balanced Fund Direct Plan Dividend Option
- Hdfc Balanced Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Balanced Fund Dividend Direct Plan
- Hdfc Balanced Fund Dividend Option
- Hdfc Balanced Fund Dividend Reinvest
- Hdfc Balanced Fund Growth Option
- Hdfc Equity Fund Direct Plan Dividend Option
- Hdfc Equity Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Equity Fund Dividend Direct Plan
- Hdfc Equity Fund Dividend Option
- Hdfc Equity Fund Dividend Reinvestment Option
- Hdfc Equity Fund Growth Option
- Hdfc Equity Savings Fund Direct Plan Dividend Option
- Hdfc Equity Savings Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Equity Savings Fund Dividend Option
- Hdfc Equity Savings Fund Dividend Reinvestment Direct Plan
- Hdfc Equity Savings Fund Growth Option
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Direct Plan Daily Dividend Option
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Direct Plan Monthly Dividend Option
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Direct Plan Weekly Dividend Option
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Dividend Daily
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Dividend Monthly Reinvestment
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Dividend Monthly
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Dividend Weekly Plan
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Dividend Weekly
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Growth Option
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Monthly Dividend Reinvestment Direct Plan
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Premium Growth Option
- Hdfc Liquid Fund Weekly Dividend Reinvestment Direct Plan
- Hdfc Long Term Advantage Fund Direct Plan Dividend Option
- Hdfc Long Term Advantage Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Long Term Advantage Fund Dividend Direct Plan
- Hdfc Long Term Advantage Fund Dividend Option
- Hdfc Long Term Advantage Fund Growth Option
- Hdfc Mf Mip Stp Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Mf Mip Stp Direct Plan Quarterly Dividend Option
- Hdfc Mid Cap Opportunities Fund Direct Plan Dividend Option
- Hdfc Mid Cap Opportunities Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Mid Cap Opportunities Fund Dividend Direct Plan
- Hdfc Mid Cap Opportunities Fund Dividend Option
- Hdfc Mid Cap Opportunities Fund Dividend Reinvestment Option
- Hdfc Mid Cap Opportunities Fund Growth Option
- Hdfc Prudence Fund Direct Plan Dividend Option
- Hdfc Prudence Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Prudence Fund Dividend Direct Plan
- Hdfc Prudence Fund Dividend Option
- Hdfc Prudence Fund Dividend Reinvestment Option
- Hdfc Prudence Fund Growth Option
- Hdfc Regular Savings Fund Direct Option Normal Dividend Option
- Hdfc Regular Savings Fund Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Regular Savings Fund Direct Plan Monthly Dividend Option
- Hdfc Regular Savings Fund Dividend Reinvestment Direct Plan
- Hdfc Regular Savings Fund Growth Option
- Hdfc Regular Savings Fund Monthly Dividend Option
- Hdfc Regular Savings Fund Regular Option Normal Dividend Option
- Hdfc Retirement Savings Fund Equity Plan Direct Plan
- Hdfc Retirement Savings Fund Equity Plan Regular Plan
- Hdfc Retirement Savings Fund Hybrid Debt Plan Direct Plan
- Hdfc Retirement Savings Fund Hybrid Debt Plan Regular Plan
- Hdfc Retirement Savings Fund Hybrid Equity Plan Direct Plan
- Hdfc Retirement Savings Fund Hybrid Equity Plan Regular Plan
- Hdfc Sensex Etf Growth Option
- Hdfc Small Cap Fund Direct Dividend Plan
- Hdfc Small Cap Fund Direct Growth Plan
- Hdfc Small Cap Fund Dividend Reinvestment Direct Plan
- Hdfc Small Cap Fund Regular Dividend Plan
- Hdfc Small Cap Fund Regular Dividend Reinvestment Plan
- Hdfc Small Cap Fund Regular Growth Plan
- Hdfc Tax Saver Dividend Direct Plan
- Hdfc Tax Saver Dividend Reinvestment
- Hdfc Taxsaver Direct Plan Dividend Option
- Hdfc Taxsaver Direct Plan Growth Option
- Hdfc Taxsaver Dividend Plan
- Hdfc Taxsaver Growth Plan
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.
GST rate of 18% applicable for all financial services effective July 1, 2017.