It a a grant issued by the Motor Vehicle Department of the state government which authorizes the license holder to operate and drive a motor vehicle of a specific class in any part of India. It is an interim grant issued to applicant before finalizing the it when a Driving License is issued.
To qualify for an LL, the applicant is required to make an application, pay the required fee and take up a test to ascertain his/her knowledge in road safety rules and regulations.
It is compulsory to obtain an LL, operate the vehicle for a stipulated period before being considered eligible for a permanent license.
Procedure for Obtaining a Learner’s License in West Bengal
Just like any other state in India, you can visit the jurisdictional RTO (Regional Transport Office) in West Bengal to apply for a Learner’s License. This license is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. Upon completion of one month of holding the LL, the license holder can apply for a driving license.
- Applicants between the age group of 16-18 years can apply for an LL to drive a non-geared motor vehicle in the category below 50cc. Such applicants may be required to obtain consent from their parents/guardians and produce a written confirmation in this regard.
- People aged more than 18 years and less than 20 are eligible to apply for a license to drive a non-transport motor vehicle.
- Applicants aged 20 and above with a certain duration of experience driving a certain category of vehicle can apply for a license to drive a transport vehicle.
- Visit the jurisdictional RTO and ask for the required form for getting an LL at the front desk.
- Fill the applicable tabs in the form and signature where required.
- Pay the fee at the payment counter and obtain a receipt.
- File all the required documents such as forms, photographs, ID & address proof and hand it over at the designated counter.
- Take up the test as per the schedule. It will consist of a written part plus verbal examination.
- You will be informed on the spot if you’ve cleared the test. If yes, the timeline for collecting the LL will be told on the spot. If you fail, the retest can be taken up on any of the working days.
Make sure to prepare well for the test by studying about various signs, traffic rules, hand signals and other topics pertaining to road safety and rules. Most of the resources are readily available at the RTO in the form of display board on the walls.
Frequently Added Questions on Learner's Licence in West Bengal
- an I renew my learner's licence issued in West Bengal?
Yes, a learner’s licence that has been issued in West Bengal can be renewed. This can be done only if you do not apply for a permanent driving licence within 6 months of getting your learner’s licence.
- Am I allowed to practice my driving in public areas in West Bengal if I use my friend’s learner’s licence?
No, you cannot practise driving in public areas in West Bengal with your friend’s learner’s licence. This is not legal and you have to use your own learner’s licence.
- What will be the validity of a learner’s licence that has been issued in West Bengal?
A learner’s licence that has been issued in West Bengal will be valid for up to 6 months.
- How do I change the address on my learner’s licence that has been issued in West Bengal?
If you want to change the address on your learner’s licence, you need to submit an application to the RTO which has issued your licence. With this application, you have to attach the copies of your new address proof and also pay the application fee.